Devitt insurance Rip Off?

BigT

Reaction score
Hi guys,

For the last 4 years I've been insured through Devitt. This year, with a full NCB I was quoted £804 for my renewal on a stock 2021 GSA. An increase of £100 on last years. Thinking that was a tad high I went onto various web sites such as MCN compare and was somewhat shocked to say the least of it. Devitt, on MCN Compare, were quoting £315 albeit with a different company. Moreover the AA quoted £293 + a £10 arrangement fee. A small matter of £500 difference from Devitt's original renewal quotation. When challenged by email, Devitt's attitude was a) no response at all, then b) a quote for £724 followed by c) a quote for £660. None of the subsequent quotes offered an explanation.

As the renewal was getting closer I tried to call Devitt to find out why the enormous price difference, I was concerned that maybe for whatever reason, I wouldn't be getting the cover I needed or expected ie. 'Comprehensive'. No joy there, I held for 20 minutes 3 times. "Sorry all our agents are busy". Finally Devitt replied with an email from their so called 'Customer Service' manager which, in the round, amounted to 'P'off and stop troubling us'. I tried to call one more time on a number appended to an old email from some time ago. An agent answered. After going through the whole quotation business again, checking all the facts were correct I was told they would call back once they'd spoken with the Insurance company. That was a week ago. No call back received.

I still have no idea why Devitt behaved in such a manner, nor why their quotes for 'Comprehensive' insurance varied so much. IMHO asking for a £500 more than they're advertising on the internet is a 'Rip Off'?

You may wish to take a very close look at your renewal when it comes through, especially from Devitt?

You’re right. It is shocking, but just move on to another company and save yourself all the grief of dealing with Devitts. My rule of thumb is 2 short calls to sort out or just go elsewhere.
Although I did break the rule when I initially bought my current bike.

Insurance has changed and my generation (age 50's) have tended to stick with a company, often paying more and accepting poor service.

I realised they're like any other retailer, so now shop around for price, benefits and service. Happy go change annually if need be, or at a bike change, as it isn't really a hassle these days.

It's not just Devitt, and it's not just bikes. Most of them do it. In insurance you don't get much respect for loyalty. I always shop around. TBH I've found Bennetts good recently. I've stayed with them for a second year this year at £266 with 1 yr NCB.

Was insured through a broker with LV for my car, last year was £600 with full NCB, this year they increased it after a no fault accident to £1900. Chancers tried it on. Went direct to LV and they gave me £460.

Pays to shop around.

Morning guys,

Thanks for the responses. I posted this as a 'heads up' to others who may, as a result, think twice before accepting renewal quotes. Stay safe and well. Tony

They all do it !

I was with the AA for several years and they were hard to beat for price, cover and customer service right up to me changing bikes mid term

They were happy to insure the street fighter for the remainder of the term for a measly £1300 extra !!!

Went elsewhere and paid just over £300 for a full year

quite obvious that the AA did not want to insure me on that bike at that time

It's an annual thing for most people.....seeing how much your insurance has gone up and deciding whether it is worth shopping around. It's part of life

Add my two pence worth.....
If you use money back sites, get a normal quote first because I have seen many money off offers that start higher and end up costing the same.

On the same theme, the Carole Nash annual random number generator continues to delight (not!).

Last year premium £346
This year £1700!

Same bikes and rider just 12 months older and less valuable. I am 64 so not completely senile, and no other changes in risk. CN unable to explain why it has changed. I deduce it’s about the appetite for big expensive bikes (my Goldwing).

So I go to ‘compare the market’ and imagine my surprise: several quotes (including CN!!) for under £300 for the Goldwing.

So now the phone work again to find which insurer Swinton are using and to berate CN.

Wonder how the new legal requirement to treat loyal customers the same as new business is going…..:rob?

The CN agent asked me why I wasn’t renewing with them
9885c2bb7c32664eb41303bcdde16704.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Renewed mine with Devitt in Feb via just a bike change and they seemed to be having troubles dealing with volumes then, finally managed to change successfully though after speaking to two agents. I have seen lots of posts on various media complaining that the service has gone down the tubes. I have been insuring via Devitt for 20 years without a problem including at the heights of the Covid 19 epidemic so something seems amiss. Mine is due in a few months so I think I will have to start early.

a quote from Devitt for £105 for the S1000XR has given me the ammunition to get Bemoto to cut their renewal offer from £168 to £122 - as Devitt have stupid fees and seem to have increasingly bad reviews, getting a quote via a comparison site has proved advantageous. I would normally fuck off Bemoto for their attempt to fleece me for £46 but they seem to reply to emails quickly, sponsor this site and don't charge change fees.

Bemoto...
Currently with them. Insured 2 bikes at renewal.
Dropped to one bike 3 months later. No refund.
Then insured another bike mid term and cost 45.
Sold the bike 10 weeks later. No refund.
Beware they claw the money back in other ways

After the 460% (!!!) increase in renewal premium from C Nash, both Bikesure and Bemoto came up with competing quotes for less than a third of the CN renewal quote, so am likely going with Bikesure as £80 less.

Last edited:
Bemoto...
Currently with them. Insured 2 bikes at renewal.
Dropped to one bike 3 months later. No refund.
Then insured another bike mid term and cost 45.
Sold the bike 10 weeks later. No refund.
Beware they claw the money back in other ways

Hi

What you have said is correct, but due to the substantial discount we give on additonal bikes, they are non refundable. I understand in your case where you have cancelled mid term it seems a bit costly, but as you could imagine if you have 5+ bikes insured every year, all year this becomes a bargain.

Safe riding!
Dean

My DEVITT renewal just arrived at £612 for my ‘21 1250GSA. Age 53, 9yrs no claims, voluntary £250 excess, garaged in Kingston upon Thames. Bloody hell!

Bemoto £542 with £100 excess is a bit better than Devitt’s.

On the other hand Devitts we’re £200 cheaper than any other quote for my camper, up 20 quid on last year, I’m with Bemoto for my bikes and yes the way they charge is “different” but it is all made clear if you call them to change things.

Al.

Back
Top Bottom