Floating discs

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigive

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, a technical question. I have some lightly scored floating front discs on my 2013 800 gsa am I able to replace them with a solid one piece alternative of good quality but a lot cheaper. Thanks in anticipation for any helpful advice. Ivor.

Hi, a technical question. I have some lightly scored floating front discs on my 2013 800 gsa am I able to replace them with a solid one piece alternative of good quality but a lot cheaper. Thanks in anticipation for any helpful advice. Ivor.

I always thought floating discs allowed the disc to cool quicker than solid, but i could be talking my usual b*llox. Fit as close to oem as possible and all will be good.

I think you should fit floating discs with opposed piston calipers. There's a degree of self-alignment which is important.

Early 1200's had solid discs which were notorious for warping. Mine went in the first 3k miles. The first model Multistrada had exactly the same setup and guess what...?

I upgraded the solid front disc on my X-Country to a fully floating Brembo and found it a good improvement. Even with a two piston sliding caliper, the solid OEM disc was dished in 13k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom