Paint bubbling.....

See here buddy;

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/545140-cylinder-ticking-noise

Please report back with what your BMW dealership states regarding this LHS ticking issue/noise :thumb2
Update on the ticking noise on the lhs cylinder, I was told there was a fix for it. Not to worry about any issues as I am heading to Spain/Portugal next month.
On the paint bubbling they took photos of it and will wait on a report back Bmw .
The service manager said they will not repaint the engine but will replace the engine it's just turned over 2400 miles washed and dried after use . Summer use only.
Keep you guys updated on the outcome.

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

Bugger me ,had a look at mine 70plate 1250te an bubbling on left hand side where the cylinder head meets engine .A phone call to BM me thinks .

Don’t buy another they sound shit! Perhaps EU paint regs have done them over on a naked bike in the uk climate?

Update on the ticking noise on the lhs cylinder, I was told there was a fix for it. Not to worry about any issues as I am heading to Spain/Portugal next month.
On the paint bubbling they took photos of it and will wait on a report back Bmw .
The service manager said they will not repaint the engine but will replace the engine it's just turned over 2400 miles washed and dried after use . Summer use only.
Keep you guys updated on the outcome.

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

:thumb:)

Bugger me ,had a look at mine 70plate 1250te an bubbling on left hand side where the cylinder head meets engine .A phone call to BM me thinks .

Same here on a 70 plate Gsa with 5600 dry use miles. Ridiculous. This’ll be my last bmw. Time to give KTM a go.

People of here always bang on about how good the BMW warranty is , and they have a point.

BUT, as BMW now charge well over £20k for a fully kitted GS, I think it’s utterly ridiculous that the build quality is so dreadful , and yet people put up with it and buy GS after GS every time the warranty expires.

As many on here know, I’m not a fan of the modern GS, but even if I liked the bike, I couldn’t part with £20k+ knowing that there will be many warranty claims in the future.

I hope you get it sorted .
ask a paint question about any modern volume bike brand and you will get people having the same problems, the issue seems to be the modern paint formulation, the big difference appears to be how the manufacturer handles the claims.

ask a paint question about any modern volume bike brand and you will get people having the same problems, the issue seems to be the modern paint formulation, the big difference appears to be how the manufacturer handles the claims.

Ref paint quality,not entirely the case here. On the GS there are a few places that seem to invite corrosion due to a questionable manufacturing process, the crankcase/barrels to cylinderhead joins are not sealed againt corrosion. It looks like the mating sufaces have some machining done after painting, if this is the case there is potential to disturb the paint to metal bond.
There are plenty of cases of sunny sunday only bikes that have corrosion at this joint. If it was just poor paint we would expect corrosion to pop up anywhere.

I find it staggering that BM can seemingly afford to replace such substantial parts of a bike (engine, gearbox, final drive) - whatever they make on a new bike sale and subsequent service, these are expensive remedies they are providing and they seem to have to do it on a huge number of bikes.

I find it staggering that BM can seemingly afford to replace such substantial parts of a bike (engine, gearbox, final drive) - whatever they make on a new bike sale and subsequent service, these are expensive remedies they are providing and they seem to have to do it on a huge number of bikes.

Just imagine that BMW got the Quality Control right, perhaps they could afford to reduce their prices by a few thousand £££s because ultimately, it is the customer who pays.

Just imagine that BMW got the Quality Control right, perhaps they could afford to reduce their prices by a few thousand £££s because ultimately, it is the customer who pays.

That is what I was thinking. When we buy a new GS, do we pay for replacement engine too?

Differnt budgets etc

The bean counters who are responsible for the cheapening down of the product will all be patting themselves on the back because new bike sales profits are increased massively

Meanwhile in a different budget the warranty folk are wailing and gnashing their teeth as their budget has taken a right old pasting but the bottom line over the group remains the same so no one cares

Wonder what happens to the old engines/gearboxes/final drives? Are they returned to the factory or bunged in a skip?

Ref paint quality,not entirely the case here. On the GS there are a few places that seem to invite corrosion due to a questionable manufacturing process, the crankcase/barrels to cylinderhead joins are not sealed againt corrosion. It looks like the mating sufaces have some machining done after painting, if this is the case there is potential to disturb the paint to metal bond.
There are plenty of cases of sunny sunday only bikes that have corrosion at this joint. If it was just poor paint we would expect corrosion to pop up anywhere.

and yet the other major manufacturers also seem to suffer the same problems? the type and formulation of paints is tightly controlled and manufacturers use what they are allowed to use, possibly the answer would be to paint the engines again after manufacture to cover those points as no manufacturer is likely to risk oil leaks by leaving paint on mating surfaces? however how much extra would it cost ? any changes will be put onto the end buyer regardless.

How about we go back to the days when it was simply polished alloy/aluminium?

Same here on a 70 plate Gsa with 5600 dry use miles. Ridiculous. This’ll be my last bmw. Time to give KTM a go.

Having spent over 12 months fighting KTM for a 1290 SAS with engine paint flaking I wouldn't get your hopes up, KTM told the dealer I'd not looked after it from the photo's sent (it was ACF'd from new - took 12 months and 6k miles to show and request warranty repair) and refused any warranty fix, my dealer said can't sort if not under warranty and would need a new engine rather than repair, so I got them to price it up (around 10k in parts) and then rejected it through the finance company, who refused to also take the bike back based on the dealer<>KTM both insisting it was my fault......so I went to the financial ombudsman with a report from a local body shop saying that it was flaking due to incomplete paint cover on the edge of the engine block causing corrosion, it was beyond economical repair and they should refund me - I had my complaint against Santander/Dealer upheld by the FSO and Santander were forced to take the bike back, unwind the finance and repay my deposit and monthly payments after rejecting it + compensation (£200)

That was a long-winded path and was quite frustrating, I did a freedom of information request on all correspondence from the dealership relating to myself and have the messages between dealer, Santander and KTM that uncovers the fact that KTM UK didn't care and left the dealer in the lurch, who then just flat out refused to acknowledge any consumer rights to satisfactory quality, durability e.t.c. and told me to jog on and end up with the finance company (being forced to do the right thing) being pretty brutal with the KTM dealer by giving them the option to take the bike back and pay them their money or, they would auction the bike and go after the dealer for the shortfall

That all being said....I'm off to pick up an approved used 2019 GSA from Bahnstormer on Saturday and will be making sure I check out any paint issues before signing for it!

Having spent over 12 months fighting KTM for a 1290 SAS with engine paint flaking I wouldn't get your hopes up, KTM told the dealer I'd not looked after it from the photo's sent (it was ACF'd from new - took 12 months and 6k miles to show and request warranty repair) and refused any warranty fix, my dealer said can't sort if not under warranty and would need a new engine rather than repair, so I got them to price it up (around 10k in parts) and then rejected it through the finance company, who refused to also take the bike back based on the dealer<>KTM both insisting it was my fault......so I went to the financial ombudsman with a report from a local body shop saying that it was flaking due to incomplete paint cover on the edge of the engine block causing corrosion, it was beyond economical repair and they should refund me - I had my complaint against Santander/Dealer upheld by the FSO and Santander were forced to take the bike back, unwind the finance and repay my deposit and monthly payments after rejecting it + compensation (£200)

That was a long-winded path and was quite frustrating, I did a freedom of information request on all correspondence from the dealership relating to myself and have the messages between dealer, Santander and KTM that uncovers the fact that KTM UK didn't care and left the dealer in the lurch, who then just flat out refused to acknowledge any consumer rights to satisfactory quality, durability e.t.c. and told me to jog on and end up with the finance company (being forced to do the right thing) being pretty brutal with the KTM dealer by giving them the option to take the bike back and pay them their money or, they would auction the bike and go after the dealer for the shortfall

That all being said....I'm off to pick up an approved used 2019 GSA from Bahnstormer on Saturday and will be making sure I check out any paint issues before signing for it!

Not a great advert for KTM, don't think I'll be buying from them in hurry.

A little off topic but a big thums up to the financial ombudsman when I used them when i had problems with a motorcycle insurance company . Great service & resolved my problem & didn't cost me a penny.

Ian.

Back
Top Bottom