Paint bubbling.....

A little off topic but a big thums up to the financial ombudsman when I used them when i had problems with a motorcycle insurance company . Great service & resolved my problem & didn't cost me a penny.

Ian.

Absolutely agree - the lady who dealt with my claim was ace (even though I'm biased as complaint upheld) and judged it all on what was reasonable to expect on a new bike advertised for "adventures" - it's the third time I've used the Ombudsman and each time they have been fair (if a bit slow due to workload) andyou get interest on anything (8%!) that you have coming from the date of the claim

The experience with KTM is what drove me to BMW based on others experience of them standing by warranty claims (even with their own paint woes) and the reputation of the dealerships in question - I had a similar issue with another bike brand and they told me at the time it was EU regs on paint composition and they couldn't use the chemicals that historically were used to prevent corrosion

That all being said....I'm off to pick up an approved used 2019 GSA from Bahnstormer on Saturday and will be making sure I check out any paint issues before signing for it!

First thing I did on arrival at Bahnstormer to test ride my bike was get underneath it and look for telltale signs of corrosion. The salesman must have thought I was nuts but no way was I going to waste my time on buying a bike with signs of corrosion.

Its gonna be used daily year-round so it will be regularly cleaned and slathered in ACF or Boeshield T9.

I've been following this post recently as I have the same problem, 2019 1250gs with bubbling paint. I've made the dealers aware of the problem (on a recent service) and today spoke to a rep from the dealership who quite willingly is sourcing new cylinder head/s and crankcase covers to replace mine. Good news!
However, when I asked about the warranty on these parts he claims they will only be covered until my bikes warranty runs out in September. I asked him if I make a contribution to the repairs would I get a longer warranty on the (new) head/s and casings to which he replied ,no.

Is this correct or am I talking to the wrong person at the dealership?

Ps, the bikes in immaculate condition with approx 4800miles on the clock (3100 miles when I bought it 8 months ago)

I've been following this post recently as I have the same problem, 2019 1250gs with bubbling paint. I've made the dealers aware of the problem (on a recent service) and today spoke to a rep from the dealership who quite willingly is sourcing new cylinder head/s and crankcase covers to replace mine. Good news!
However, when I asked about the warranty on these parts he claims they will only be covered until my bikes warranty runs out in September. I asked him if I make a contribution to the repairs would I get a longer warranty on the (new) head/s and casings to which he replied ,no.

Is this correct or am I talking to the wrong person at the dealership?

Ps, the bikes in immaculate condition with approx 4800miles on the clock (3100 miles when I bought it 8 months ago)

if you bought it 8months ago from a BMW dealer the warranty should be for 2 years

FWIW … i used to use ACF50, but i’m not super convinced it sticks around long enough. I’ve switched to Lanoguard and touch wood no issues to date; 2019 GSA with > 13000 miles.
I decided i prefer a ‘stickier’ product for this kind of use

23 years of GS, none developed any corrosion. Don't know why? Kept them clean? All high mileage, Longest I kept for 14 years. Current R1200GSA 2018 40K miles. No corrosion.

Engine and final drive replaced today, girl on the desk didn't realise it was being charged back to BMW and asked me how I'd like to pay the £11.700 bill :rofl

21 years of recent BMW ownership, only two bikes a 2001 1150 115000 miles no corrosion, still have it. 2012 1200 Triple Black, 54,000 miles no corrosion, traded last year for a KTM. Neither got particular special treatment, just rinsed after every winter ride and washed once a week with a wipe down with WD-40 after washing. Maybe I was just lucky!

Well, being a confirmed TC guy, itself not immune to corrosion but easily avoided…I finally decided to take out a 1250 for a test ride….and it was very, very good. I buy my bikes outright and tend to kept them a while…and buy nearly new rather than brand new. After reading this thread I checked out all the used bikes at my local deals (nearly all GSAs) and all but one of them had signs of corrosion.

I pointed this out and was advised not to worry as I get a 2 year warranty! I pointed out…what if the rest of the bike is equally poor quality and what the hell do I do after 2 years. I was advised that I could purchase an extended warranty! I asked for a significant discount in price if I was going to have to fork out an additional £400 p.a. - I am out. After some 30+ years of GS ownership I cannot afford to take the risk…I wonder if BMW could give a toss!

Would anybody here buy a 2-3 year old BMW GS/A from a dealer let alone privately?

Well, being a confirmed TC guy, itself not immune to corrosion but easily avoided…I finally decided to take out a 1250 for a test ride….and it was very, very good. I buy my bikes outright and tend to kept them a while…and buy nearly new rather than brand new. After reading this thread I checked out all the used bikes at my local deals (nearly all GSAs) and all but one of them had signs of corrosion.

I pointed this out and was advised not to worry as I get a 2 year warranty! I pointed out…what if the rest of the bike is equally poor quality and what the hell do I do after 2 years. I was advised that I could purchase an extended warranty! I asked for a significant discount in price if I was going to have to fork out an additional £400 p.a. - I am out. After some 30+ years of GS ownership I cannot afford to take the risk…I wonder if BMW could give a toss!

Would anybody here buy a 2-3 year old BMW GS/A from a dealer let alone privately?

I'm finding my confidence in the GS tested at the moment but it's more due to the dealer than the bike itself. I shared some thoughts in another thread here today so won't ramble on about it again. I realise things can go wrong with any bike but I'm somewhat disturbed by the severity of what might be a relatively rare occurrence. I, perhaps naively, thought BMW would be beyond this.

Update on the ticking noise on the lhs cylinder, I was told there was a fix for it. Not to worry about any issues as I am heading to Spain/Portugal next month.
On the paint bubbling they took photos of it and will wait on a report back Bmw .
The service manager said they will not repaint the engine but will replace the engine it's just turned over 2400 miles washed and dried after use . Summer use only.
Keep you guys updated on the outcome.

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk
Reported the bubbling in the paint work on the engine . Motorrad did take pictures and report sent to Bmw . Motorrad asked me to hang on the later in the year when they were quiet. Anyway I contacted them early December they would get back to me.
They picked my bike up Dec 27th got my bike back today New engine fitted eye watering receipt for just £6900 .
Under warranty 2020 bike.
Bike had only completed 2000 miles when I initially reported the fault.
Got to commend them doing the job under warranty. Possibly the built quality is not as good as it used to be for Bmw's.
Here's hoping it lasts.
Acf 50 come the weekend.

Reported the bubbling in the paint work on the engine . Motorrad did take pictures and report sent to Bmw . Motorrad asked me to hang on the later in the year when they were quiet. Anyway I contacted them early December they would get back to me.
They picked my bike up Dec 27th got my bike back today New engine fitted eye watering receipt for just £6900 .
Under warranty 2020 bike.
Bike had only completed 2000 miles when I initially reported the fault.
Got to commend them doing the job under warranty. Possibly the built quality is not as good as it used to be for Bmw's.
Here's hoping it lasts.
Acf 50 come the weekend.

Good result with the new engine I had new barrels and crankcase due to corrosion in November (full engine strip basically) was told BMW no longer sanction new engines ,Reiten motorad did a great job and the bike runs better than ever .
You might want to look at dinitrol 4010 ,much more waxy than acf and won't wash off ,I used it on barrels and front of engine it will resist 200c and seems to be hanging on well ,i still use acf50 on other areas but the dinitrol is great for the real problem areas like spoke bolts on wheel hubs .

Good result with the new engine I had new barrels and crankcase due to corrosion in November (full engine strip basically) was told BMW no longer sanction new engines ,Reiten motorad did a great job and the bike runs better than ever .
You might want to look at dinitrol 4010 ,much more waxy than acf and won't wash off ,I used it on barrels and front of engine it will resist 200c and seems to be hanging on well ,i still use acf50 on other areas but the dinitrol is great for the real problem areas like spoke bolts on wheel hubs .
Thanks for the tip will look into that dinitrol
Sounds better as you say wash the bike off comes the acf .
I always dry off the bike with the air compressor.
Cheers
Martin

Paint Bubbling

Jesus , i'm glad i don't have a late model BM.

I have a 2016 GS TB and had to get the cylinder barrels, swing arm, Center stand and injection barrels changed due to bubbling paint. Looking at my bike now I have a lot of bubbling paint on the cylinder barrels again and the engine casing. So don’t expect the replacement parts to have any better paint quality.

I had a 2015 1200 which developed corrosion all over the rear subframe which BMW replaced as a good will gesture as it was out of warranty, I paid 100 euro for labour cost. I now have a 2016 gs which shows no signs of corrosion at all. I think its crazy that you can have two motorcycles of the same year side by side, one showing a lot of corrosion and the other with none at all. Both being well minded. Is it a case of different paint quality being used in different manufacturing plants. Very hard to understand it.

21 years of recent BMW ownership, only two bikes a 2001 1150 115000 miles no corrosion, still have it. 2012 1200 Triple Black, 54,000 miles no corrosion, traded last year for a KTM. Neither got particular special treatment, just rinsed after every winter ride and washed once a week with a wipe down with WD-40 after washing. Maybe I was just lucky!

That's special treatment in my books. I commute on my bike and it goes straight in the garage with an occasional hose off at work and maybe a wash once a month.

I commute on my bike and it goes straight in the garage with an occasional hose off at work and maybe a wash once a month.

And that's neglect in my books !

Back
Top Bottom