Paint bubbling.....

And that's neglect in my books !

Really?

In the south, why should you need to wash it down after every commute, when we rarely have salted roads.

The bikes should be up to a wet ride without corrosion being an issue.

Roads normally coated in salt from november to end of march. Hardly rarely. Essex.

Not in my experience.

Roads rarely have salt on them down my way. Maybe a few days a year south of Watford Gap.

Why should we be expected to wash the bike every time we use it?

Why ? :nenau
If its used in salt treated roads, It needs to be washed off, using cold water, after each ride. Putting it away in a garage and not cleaning it a month at a time will result in corrosion.
Its not rocket science.
All that said, If you would rather not maintain it correctly, then don't. But don't post "My bike is corroding":D
Hope that helps ?

Until this year, my bike had not seen salt (down south it's rare), yet the headers are rusty. How much salt do you get where you are?

Having said that, it gets washed once or twice a year - whether it needs it (used most days) or not....

I do not complain about the chrome or other corrosion and accept that I could do more to prevent it, but why should I be expected to rinse it after every ride to prevent corrosion?

Incidentally, how often do you wash your car after driving it on salty roads?

The roads here in essex (Chelmsford) are white with salt, and have been for months.
I was my car and vans every week during these conditions, And I also follow the guidance for cleaning for my bikes. If ridden in salty conditions, it clean immediately after I stop, with cold water. Im sure thats in the maintenance book?
Just like a few posts back, My 1150, owned for over 14 years, and all my GSA's since have absolutely zero corrosion. Current 50K miles.
Its quite obvious, That if exposed to road salt, and parked up without cleaning it off, it will corrode.

That if exposed to road salt, and parked up without cleaning it off, it will corrode.

My point is that why should we motorcyclists be expected to wash our bikes to prevent corrosion, when we are not expected to do the same to our cars.

My car hasn't shown evidence of corrosion since 2016

OK, let me re-phase that. Bits that are visible on cars do not readily corrode if you don't wash them down after every use where salt maybe on the road.

None of my cars over the past 30 years or so have had corroded body panels, despite only two having done less than 100k miles.

Just deleted a long reply. Going round in circles.
It's your bike. Treat it as you wish.
Good luck !

OK, let me re-phase that. Bits that are visible on cars do not readily corrode if you don't wash them down after every use where salt maybe on the road.

None of my cars over the past 30 years or so have had corroded body panels, despite only two having done less than 100k miles.

Personally, I'd be more wary of the parts that you don't see with respect to corrosion underbody (structural components, chassis, sills, suspension, sub-frames etc. etc.).
You might even be surprised on what you find under there on your ~7 year old car! :)

Really?

In the south, why should you need to wash it down after every commute, when we rarely have salted roads.

The bikes should be up to a wet ride without corrosion being an issue.

I suggest you check with your council
Ours publish when they are salting on a daily basis and between Dec and end of March it’s about 4 days out of 7, on average

That's special treatment in my books. I commute on my bike and it goes straight in the garage with an occasional hose off at work and maybe a wash once a month.

I commuted 110 miles a day for a while, adding 5 minutes at the end of my ride home to rinse the bike down wasn’t a big deal and from the comments I read regarding corrosion it was evidently worth it.

You ask why should you be expected to rinse the bike off? No one expects you too, it’s no loss to anyone but you.

So all the heroes saying hose the salt off when you get home !! Try that at 7pm midwinter when its below freezing out and pitch black ��

Heroes ?
Not heros, just normal people that carry out necessary post riding maintenance, or normal people that don't moan about corrosion when said maintenance isn't carried out ?
Heroes......

Heroes ?
Not heros, just normal people that carry out necessary post riding maintenance, or normal people that don't moan about corrosion when said maintenance isn't carried out ?
Heroes......
Tell me how you rinse a bike down when its - 3c the hose is frozen solid and forcast is for days of freezing temps ,easy when you have just got back from a Sunday bimble to starbucks,not so easy when you commute every day leaving at 06.30 and getting home frozen at 19.00hrs.

Tell me how you rinse a bike down when its - 3c the hose is frozen solid and forcast is for days of freezing temps ,easy when you have just got back from a Sunday bimble to starbucks,not so easy when you commute every day leaving at 06.30 and getting home frozen at 19.00hrs.

Buy a car ?
Or an old hack ?
Move south ?

Why is it not possible to expect a level of long-term external finish to match what cars have benefitted from for the the past 15 years or so, without having to wash it down after every winter ride?

They would if they had a fairing. Take the shiney, New looking fairing of any bike, and it will be shite underneath, the same as underneath the shiney bodywork of any car.

You clearly didn't see the state of my previous RT...

Back
Top Bottom