Paint bubbling.....

peej1977

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hey all, been away a little while, work has been manic.

So I realise this is probably a well discussed topic (I did search but didn't see anything) but does anyone have any insight on how keen to fix bubbling paint BMW UK are?

Long story short, my PCP ends in December, the dealer I bought the bike from recently rang me and asked if I'd be interested in looking at figure to maybe trade my 2019 GSA in early into something newer. Given all the issues I've had with the bike (replacement engine being one of them) I wasn't all that keen but I said you may as well give me the numbers anyway. He asked me 3 things about my bike:

1. Whats the general condition like?
2. What are the tyres like?
3. Is there any bubbling paint on the engine, specifically where the cylinder head meet the engine?

Obviously I thought this sounded odd but he told me it's a common problem and if there was engine paint bubbling then it would significantly hurt the trade in value of the bike. So I went and looked and to my annoyance there is indeed bubbling on the front/underside and rear of both cylinder heads AND the engine block itself. Suffice to say the call ended there and I've now booked it into my local dealer to be looked at.

Having spent 5 days with friend on the bike in Scotland at the weekend it seems this is much more of a common issue than I realised. My bike is out of warranty from September so I'm unsure if BMW are going to try and say it's wear and tear etc but what are peoples experiences with this sort of thing? Obviously noone knows until it goes in to be looked at.

Obviously I'm not happy that an almost £20k bike thats been maintained and cleaned meticulously is showing this sort of corrosion but sadly I can't undo whats already happened.

Thanks

I had paint corrosion on frame and centre stand, (2017 GSA) got rid last year via trade in before it got any worse, I did deal from distance and sent pics of bike without highlighting the issue, he asked me the same questions about cylinder head area and fortunately I was able to answer in the positive.

I had corrosion, paint lifting on top of barrels, got barrels replaced under warantee. I would crack on and get stuck into them.
Like you say, 20k bike.

And keep pestering.

My 19 plate GSA went in for its service July last year at 8500 miles. I pointed out the start of the 'spiders' in the very locations you mention. A warranty claim was submitted and new casings fitted in short order.

I wonder what was actually replaced, as the barrels are integral with the main engine block on the LC engine.
No idea.
It was 2017 model gs.
8f5aea63669f88186f825f9432b585e3.jpg

When I posted about the same problem, the keyboard warriors said I was to blame as obv didn’t look after the bike, BMW on the other hand replace final drive and RH cylinder head

21 plate gs fbmwsh, 10,300 miles and paint bubbling left hand cylinder to engine casing.
Local dealer have taken photos to send to bnw

Last time I read something like this on here (BMW Foot pegs) I did fall foul, However, 2018 GSA 41K mies, zero corrosion. It has to be pointed out, its not used throughout winter. Although that shouldn't be a defence for Corrosion.

Hey all, been away a little while, work has been manic.

So I realise this is probably a well discussed topic (I did search but didn't see anything) but does anyone have any insight on how keen to fix bubbling paint BMW UK are?

Long story short, my PCP ends in December, the dealer I bought the bike from recently rang me and asked if I'd be interested in looking at figure to maybe trade my 2019 GSA in early into something newer. Given all the issues I've had with the bike (replacement engine being one of them) I wasn't all that keen but I said you may as well give me the numbers anyway. He asked me 3 things about my bike:

1. Whats the general condition like?
2. What are the tyres like?
3. Is there any bubbling paint on the engine, specifically where the cylinder head meet the engine?

Obviously I thought this sounded odd but he told me it's a common problem and if there was engine paint bubbling then it would significantly hurt the trade in value of the bike. So I went and looked and to my annoyance there is indeed bubbling on the front/underside and rear of both cylinder heads AND the engine block itself. Suffice to say the call ended there and I've now booked it into my local dealer to be looked at.

Having spent 5 days with friend on the bike in Scotland at the weekend it seems this is much more of a common issue than I realised. My bike is out of warranty from September so I'm unsure if BMW are going to try and say it's wear and tear etc but what are peoples experiences with this sort of thing? Obviously noone knows until it goes in to be looked at.

Obviously I'm not happy that an almost £20k bike thats been maintained and cleaned meticulously is showing this sort of corrosion but sadly I can't undo whats already happened.

Thanks
Could you post a photo please.

My 2019 GSA with 11000 miles is going in for new L/H Cylinder head and other 'paint rectification' on casings in the next few weeks. Out of warranty at end of June. Paint cracking and 'live' on top of crankcase and head join as you look down so no chance of stone chip.

Pics as requested. Bike is always cleaned and dried properly (as best as you can with all the nooks and crannies) before being put away and has rarely seen road salt.

Attachments

• 257133CF-4CA3-4DEF-9492-C8743E86D7D9_1_105_c.jpeg
    257133CF-4CA3-4DEF-9492-C8743E86D7D9_1_105_c.jpeg
    221.4 KB · Views: 2,002
  • 5AE9FD04-4D51-4923-BBDE-56537998BC90_1_105_c.jpeg
    5AE9FD04-4D51-4923-BBDE-56537998BC90_1_105_c.jpeg
    204.7 KB · Views: 2,005
  • 4A6C18A0-483A-4E88-9435-CEDD61D6FE3C_1_105_c.jpeg
    4A6C18A0-483A-4E88-9435-CEDD61D6FE3C_1_105_c.jpeg
    241.2 KB · Views: 2,018
  • BA210A18-3D1B-4507-8481-DBF397C71927_1_105_c.jpeg
    BA210A18-3D1B-4507-8481-DBF397C71927_1_105_c.jpeg
    206.7 KB · Views: 2,016
Bloody hell !!!!
That’s dreadful on a bike that isn’t even three years old !!

Yeah I know mate I'm not very happy especially as it's the replacement engine. Although to be fair doesn't matter which engine it is!

I just hope they don't try and wriggle out of it on some excuse about how it's been used/treated. I'm quite particular about looking after my bikes. The fact it's only where the head meet the engine block is the part that "should" hopefully make it go in my favour. It's going in next Wednesday so we shall see!

New engines got about 9-9500 on it. Bike has about 10500 (ish).

I had a 2017 motor fitted in my 2014 GSA courtesy of BMW at 11000 miles due to corrosion to the right hand side of the cylinder block the size of my little finger nail. The whole process was painless but then again, that was at the beginning of this whole engine corrosion issue.

My thoughts are that you are in a strong position. BMW (and especially your supplying dealer) want you on to a new bike. How they deal with this warranty problem is the key as to whether you walk away from the brand or go again for another 3 years

Over to BMW

Yeah I know mate I'm not very happy especially as it's the replacement engine. Although to be fair doesn't matter which engine it is!

I just hope they don't try and wriggle out of it on some excuse about how it's been used/treated. I'm quite particular about looking after my bikes. The fact it's only where the head meet the engine block is the part that "should" hopefully make it go in my favour. It's going in next Wednesday so we shall see!

People of here always bang on about how good the BMW warranty is , and they have a point.

BUT, as BMW now charge well over £20k for a fully kitted GS, I think it’s utterly ridiculous that the build quality is so dreadful , and yet people put up with it and buy GS after GS every time the warranty expires.

As many on here know, I’m not a fan of the modern GS, but even if I liked the bike, I couldn’t part with £20k+ knowing that there will be many warranty claims in the future.

I hope you get it sorted .

Back
Top Bottom