Garmin Tread - Is the XT 'Old Hat'?

Popell

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just when I was getting round to thinking of an XT purchase, there appears to be a new kid on the block!

Anyone come across the Garmin Tread M-S?

I'm off through Germany in a couple of weeks so had a look on Louise Moto to see if there were any decent price on toys and saw the new(?) model.

Its described as the Big Brother to the XT but from what I can see its the same screen size and brightness. It appears to be aimed at the off road fan so it may suit some of the more adventurous here:nenau

How to use the app:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Af3PCxplLdg" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I can see that it might be useful for dedicated off-road riders, all using a Tread device, who ride separately but want to stay in touch by showing their position on their friends’ screens.

If the device becomes popular, I’ll create a dedicated sub-section for it.

Me? I wish Garmin woukd put some effort into resolving the problems with the Navigator VI.

Garmin have moved on, now

In the same way that standalone car radio manufacturers were rendered all but irrelevant, I think that Garmin is being left behind in the race to integrate more and more into motorcycle TFT screens, linked to the now very powerful mobile phones. The next move will be head-up displays.

Rather like the Blacberry, their days might be numbered when it comes to standalone devices.

In the same way that standalone car radio manufacturers were rendered all but irrelevant, I think that Garmin is being left behind in the race to integrate more and more into motorcycle TFT screens, linked to the now very powerful mobile phones. The next move will be head-up displays.

Rather like the Blacberry, their days might be numbered when it comes to standalone devices.

Going the same way as those intercom people perhaps

Very recently I purchased a Garmin Montana 700i and I have to say it is far, far superior to anything I have ever used before. It wasn’t cheap at £800+ but it has OS maps installed as well as City Navigator so I can use it for a wide variety of activities as I also enjoy walking in the mountains with my Springers.

It’s more than just a sat nav, I’d never pay that much for a stand alone navigation device but this unit is on a different level.

Just when I was getting round to thinking of an XT purchase, there appears to be a new kid on the block!

Anyone come across the Garmin Tread M-S?

I'm off through Germany in a couple of weeks so had a look on Louise Moto to see if there were any decent price on toys and saw the new(?) model.

Its described as the Big Brother to the XT but from what I can see its the same screen size and brightness. It appears to be aimed at the off road fan so it may suit some of the more adventurous here:nenau

As far as I can tell it’s an XT with the ability to see where other Tread users are, if you’re in the group and it’s popular with quad and side by side drivers in the USA.

You can upgrade the XT with a group ride tracker device to the same end, if you care about where the other riders with you are. There’s a massive thread on it Adventure Rider

For a device to use on tracks and trails on a bike I’d say the Montana 7xx beats it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the same way that standalone car radio manufacturers were rendered all but irrelevant, I think that Garmin is being left behind in the race to integrate more and more into motorcycle TFT screens

They did. And we all know the reasons :D
But I don't think there is that much of a will from the manufacturers to integrate Garmin. You want to have people interact with your own screen/multimedia device. Not other vendors.

Garmin is pretty active, and successful, in the fitness market that is massive and still expanding these days. Their dedicated mapping devices (handhelds including montana, I'm not getting into marine and aviation) are still needed and used by a smaller part of the population - probably same as before. And I hope they keep producing those. I am mostly worried about the software.

I agree with you, they really missed the opportunity, but I think this is mostly true of their Zumo or any general purpose road devices.
The XT (that I'm still partly happy about) is a few features short of actually being an "adventure gps". It is great compared to the older devices, but at the end the "adventure" angle is more a marketing gimmick than anything. I was doing the exact same things (OSM maps, etc) on my 396LM. The XT is just waaay better screen-wise of course. But still misses basic stuff, like profiles.

The Thread MS seems, as Berin says above, a small variation of the XT recipe. I think I've seen another one that was intended for overlanding or caravans and was the exact same form factor (and software) as the XT as well.

But most people will just do A to B navigation following religiously the purple line on a three-dimensional map or press the "adventurous" trip calculation and, again, follow the purple line :D

But most people will just do A to B navigation following religiously the purple line on a three-dimensional map or press the "adventurous" trip calculation and, again, follow the purple line :D

I spend countless hours on Basecamp generating that purple line!

I prefer a stan alone unit that I can transfer between my three bikes and my cars. My Merc has a built in satnav but it is nowhere near as useful and functional as my Garmin.

From what i can see , DMD2 is now available as a download for the Tread devices

Opens up loads of android capability & apps

Back
Top Bottom