False Neutral, Throttle Lost

bosnjo

Reaction score
Strange thing happened to me today. However, it was because of user error but still strange as it has never happened to me on any motorcycle in last 40 years.
I was riding normaly, shifted from 5th to 6th and suddenly, no throttle response. I twisted the throttle few times, but no response at all. I started panicking as my GS is only 15 months old. Looked at the TFT and at the first glance couldn't see any warning. Looked again and saw that it had no indication of the gear engaged. Understood that I hit the false neutral. Shifted down, it entered into 5th gear (indication showed on TFT) and the throttle started responding.
So, the error was mine as I hit false neutral. It happened to me zillion times in last 40 years but I have never lost the throttle. Strange...
As my knees are getting old, I needed lower pegs. I purchased them when I got the bike. Then I needed to lower the shifting pedal. I did but it couldnt go low enough because it was hitting the side stand when I was opening it. Then I purchased adjustable SW Motech shift pedal. That one is different design then the OEM one but it allowed me to go lower just 2-3 mm. Still not enough. I still need to lower it few milimeters more but don't know what to do.
Older OEM shift pedals had rotating step rod (the one you put your foot on) so you could still go lower, but on my bike it came fixed (2021 model).
Will keep on looking for solution because I still feel shift pedal too high and it will keep on making me miss the gear when shifting up.

Strange thing happened to me today. However, it was because of user error but still strange as it has never happened to me on any motorcycle in last 40 years.
I was riding normaly, shifted from 5th to 6th and suddenly, no throttle response. I twisted the throttle few times, but no response at all. I started panicking as my GS is only 15 months old. Looked at the TFT and at the first glance couldn't see any warning. Looked again and saw that it had no indication of the gear engaged. Understood that I hit the false neutral. Shifted down, it entered into 5th gear (indication showed on TFT) and the throttle started responding.
So, the error was mine as I hit false neutral. It happened to me zillion times in last 40 years but I have never lost the throttle. Strange...
As my knees are getting old, I needed lower pegs. I purchased them when I got the bike. Then I needed to lower the shifting pedal. I did but it couldnt go low enough because it was hitting the side stand when I was opening it. Then I purchased adjustable SW Motech shift pedal. That one is different design then the OEM one but it allowed me to go lower just 2-3 mm. Still not enough. I still need to lower it few milimeters more but don't know what to do.
Older OEM shift pedals had rotating step rod (the one you put your foot on) so you could still go lower, but on my bike it came fixed (2021 model).
Will keep on looking for solution because I still feel shift pedal too high and it will keep on making me miss the gear when shifting up.

maybe this help can find more cheap

https://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/wunderlich-gear-brake-lever-enlargement-touring-26240-001.html

your bike knows more than you.

it knows which gear you are in

it knows how fast you want to go .

it registered you were not in a gear , it cut the power, it saved you from yourself .

sit in a modern, top end Merc ,in neutral , floor the pedal , it won't go over 3k rpm.

As the oneandonly above says, the bike prevented the soaring revs then crunch scenario you'd have got from am older less clever bike,it was protecting itself.

What you all say is true. I take it as a feature, not as a fault of a modern bike. I was just saying how scared I've got because I didn's know of that feature.

Maybe post a pic of your set up and we can have a better understanding..

Could be a simple modification or addition will sort it?

I cannot post the pictures here unless I link them from the other site. However, I have SW Motech shift pedal, fully adjustable in its extension. I adjusted it as short as I could (I have big feet) and then lowered it as much as possible. Now, the side stand, when it closes or opens, passes just 1mm behind the shifter. If I try to lower the shifter any further, the side stand hits it when closing or opening. I guess I will have to fabricate something to solve the problem.

Reading the first couple of lines of the OP, no throttle response, I was chatting to a GS 1250 owner on the boat the other day and he said he lost all throttle response, bike coasted to a stop.

Apparently dealer replaced all throttle gubbins on right handle bar, drive by wire was mentioned. Just sayin….

Reading the first couple of lines of the OP, no throttle response, I was chatting to a GS 1250 owner on the boat the other day and he said he lost all throttle response, bike coasted to a stop.

Apparently dealer replaced all throttle gubbins on right handle bar, drive by wire was mentioned. Just sayin….

Don't scare me, please...

Never had the false neutral, however my R1250GS started momentarily "losing" the throttle recently, most noticeably when cruising. Most of the time it was just the bike seeming to hesitate, other times it seemed as though it lasted a couple of seconds, but suddenly power would drop (even when on cruise) and then pick up (I'd see the revs drop to tickover). Took to dealer who agreed the issue and re-calibrated the throttle and all has been well since.

Back
Top Bottom