2018 Himalayan, 5k miles, 1 owner.

Dave T

Reaction score
Afternoon! I was in my local bike dealer on Sunday, just for a browse (;)) and there's a used Himalayan. It's got custom paint, aftermarket seat, aftermarket exhaust (plus original). Kind of looked a bit 'hipstered' - exhaust wrap on the header, brown leather seat, but to be honest, I quite liked it. :p
Dealer wants £2950 and I'm tempted to have a test ride and a haggle. My current bike is an 1100GS but it's not getting used for anything long distance. I either ride on my own, or with my brother in law on his Honda Grom 125, so speed isn't an issue, and he's just come back from a week camping in Scotland on his Grom so I'm sure the RE could more than cope. I was contemplating a Grom or a Monkey, but wasn't convinced a 125 would do it for me. I'd seen a VanVan200 that for some reason appealed... the Enfield hadn't really registered with me, until the weekend.... and got me thinking it would commute, bimble around the same roads as the Grom, Tour at least as well as the Grom, and with a set of knobblies try bit of green laning too...

My questions for here:
Are there any significant differences/upgrades between 2018 bikes and later models?
Apart from the usual 'used bike' stuff, is there anything I should be paying particular attention to (what breaks/fails/falls off).

Whether it's right for me will be down to a decent test ride.....

:beerjug:
Dave.

Hi Dave, i have had my 2018 Himmy from new and done around 9k miles on it off and on road and apart for some issues with brake calipers
seizing which has been solved by free caliper replacements being fitted under the RE re-call concerning the corrosion issues had no issues.

There have been, initially, some small step changes along the way then on the latest models some larger changes but nothing really major and all
the models perform pretty much the same. If you read all the threads on here regarding the Himmy you will get a good picture of it's capabilities.

Cheers :beerjug:

Thanks both. Don't suppose either of you have tried 2-up on a Himmy? I know it's only 24bhp, but I'm not talking 2 up and a week's camping gear on a trip to France... maybe the odd weekend with an overnight bag once or twice a year in the summer...anyway, if it's not sold, I'm off for a test ride at the weekend, and I'll get my Mrs to show me the one on FB tonight thanks (I don't use FB)...

Thanks both. Don't suppose either of you have tried 2-up on a Himmy? I know it's only 24bhp, but I'm not talking 2 up and a week's camping gear on a trip to France... maybe the odd weekend with an overnight bag once or twice a year in the summer...anyway, if it's not sold, I'm off for a test ride at the weekend, and I'll get my Mrs to show me the one on FB tonight thanks (I don't use FB)...
You might also want to get a test ride on an Interceptor Dave, definitely better for 2 up pottering around with a mega 47hp ....its a lot of fun

The test ride i did on the demo bike i eventually bought was done with the Mrs. on the back and was ok. but, she's only small and light. I have seen reports on FB where peeps have done 2 up touring successfully.

When testing a Himmy always remember the engines improve a lot with increasing mileage so an engine with 2k up is not as good as one with 3/4k on it.

You might also want to get a test ride on an Interceptor Dave, definitely better for 2 up pottering around with a mega 47hp ....its a lot of fun

I'd like to do a bit of green laning/trails, so the Interceptor isn't probably the right bike. Looks nice though - keep seeing one on my commute.... with a set of open pipes it sounds glorious too...

The test ride i did on the demo bike i eventually bought was done with the Mrs. on the back and was ok. but, she's only small and light. I have seen reports on FB where peeps have done 2 up touring successfully.

When testing a Himmy always remember the engines improve a lot with increasing mileage so an engine with 2k up is not as good as one with 3/4k on it.

I've read that about the engines, and while I'm not after a mega 2-up tour, the odd weekend away would be nice as an option... Mrs DaveT is quite a lightweight model...:augie

That Himmy is now reduced to £3500, very decent price for a well sorted one with luggage etc

14695a2560e309c51b1feea51337741c.jpg

I was talking to a chap last week who has a 21 plate, he also has a GS. I was looking at his bike when he came back and we talked about his RE. Turns out almost everything is or has been wrong with it. He didn't seem too concerned about all the things that had gone wrong, which I admired but I think I would have burnt it.

I had thought about getting one sometime in the future but after our chat, I wouldn't have one if I lived to be 200 yrs. Just my opinion, don't let that stop you. Good luck. :thumb

I was talking to a chap last week who has a 21 plate, he also has a GS. I was looking at his bike when he came back and we talked about his RE. Turns out almost everything is or has been wrong with it. He didn't seem too concerned about all the things that had gone wrong, which I admired but I think I would have burnt it.

I had thought about getting one sometime in the future but after our chat, I wouldn't have one if I lived to be 200 yrs. Just my opinion, don't let that stop you. Good luck. :thumb

You'll find the same thing with BMW's, KTM,s Guzzis Suzukis Hondas etc etc there's always the few that give bother whereas by far the majority don't. Had mine over 3 years and 8500mls and even though i have, at various times, beaten it along gnarley trails ploughed it through thick mud thrown it numerous times on the ground plus 100+ mile motorway trips at 65 70 it's not, (apart from sticking brake calipers which have now been rectified by a recall for new updated calipers) put a foot wrong and still looks good and that, after meeting many other owners over the years seems to be the case generally.

UturnTony. I'm pleased to hear what you say and what you say is how I had expected a RE to be. I have only spoken to one RE owner, the one I mentioned, and his list of problems was endless and still, he was positive about the brand, but that's also true of most BMW owners :thumb

Nathan Millward of postie bike fame runs a Himalayan as part of his “try an Enfield “ fleet. He has also done some serious 25k miles on two of them and he rates them. Have a look at his reviews on you tube, he certainly doesnt gush about them just says they are a solid performer.

I've just been watching Himalan's on youtube. I then took a look on ebay and there are loads of them for sale, this being one of them.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384905884791?hash=item599e2db477:g:JMoAAOSwXrpie9QK

I guess for the cost you can't go far wrong.

That's nice good price too.

People buy the Himmy thinking it'll be ok for them and expect too much, become disapointed that they can't, (occasionally) do that overtake, and get rid, they are what they are.
The ones that keep them, like me (i have a TC GS also by the way) are the ones that do their research, know exactly what to expect and accept their limitaions as far as power
goes and so aren't disapointed.

Well, a quick update. Firstly thanks for all of the responses.:beerjug:

The test ride was a short affair (30 mins) as they didn't want me to put a stack of miles on their used bike which I suppose I understand:nenau. On the basis of 30 mins I didn't buy it, but I am intrigued enough by it to not rule it out. I'm in dicsussions with my local RE main dealer to see about having a demo bike for a weekend.
Cheers,
Dave.

Well, a quick update. Firstly thanks for all of the responses.:beerjug:

The test ride was a short affair (30 mins) as they didn't want me to put a stack of miles on their used bike which I suppose I understand:nenau. On the basis of 30 mins I didn't buy it, but I am intrigued enough by it to not rule it out. I'm in dicsussions with my local RE main dealer to see about having a demo bike for a weekend.
Cheers,
Dave.

That's a good idea as you would be able to really asses the bike, mind you, i knew from the first 18 mile ride that the bike would do as i EXPECTED it to, no more, no less and, i was right but, i didn't take the plunge at that time. I then revisited it months later and had a 2nd. ride when me and the Mrs went out on a new demo bike; my opinions were confirmed; i bought the demo bike with 43 miles on the clock, it was winter and no-one was taking test rides so they let it go.

I had never noticed the V-Strom never heard of or even seen one then someone said I should consider one. Lots of searching and reading reviews made me want to look at and ride one. I visited a dealer who was selling a used one and was told I could take it out for an hour. 10 minutes later I was back and bought it. Thousands of miles later and I still love it. I intend to keep it forever but, I visited my local dealer today, Bridge in Exeter, They have got one of the new Yamaha's , a World Raid Tenere. The last time a bike made my heart race just looking at it was when the 1150 GSA came out. When I saw a picture in the MCN I knew I wanted one. The Yamaha I saw today made my heart race. If it goes as good as it looks, I will want one. Salesman must have seen my face while I gloated over it and told me to come back next week and ride that very bike. I'll wait until someone else goes first and scuffs the tyres before I ride it. :thumb2

If you want a tiddler that has a decent pillion perch give the GW250 a look. Not the prettiest bike in the World but far more competent than you would expect

In the picture, that GW looks bigger than it is but it looks too sensible for youngsters to want. They want to look like their racing hero's and get something made for a track. I'll bet that bike sells really well in other countries and when I'm a little older and even more decrepit I would look at one. :rob :thumb

Actually, I got that wrong didn't I? When I look at it again and imagine the same bike in a show room bare, it's a well sporty looking bike. I like the looks of the new model 250 too, really nice.

Back
Top Bottom