XT -v- Connected Cradle / Connected App

markyparky

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All

Looking for a bit of advice/guidance from the collective

I had a Nav6 which I got fed up with and sold on and bought a Zumo XT to replace it.

The week after I got the Zumo BMW announced the cradle which I probably would have got instead of the XT

Now the XT is great and much more useable than the Nav6 although I miss the handlebar control that the Nav integrated with.

I use MRA to plan routes and trips and like the fact I can send them wirelessly to my XT.

Now I have a long trip planned at the end of June to Nordcapp and have the route(s) planned in MRA and know that I can download them to my XT.

I have broken the trip up into numerous sections but will be stopping at the end of each day to camp but not planning distinct places for this - just see where I am late afternoon and stop there (or nearby) and then picking up the rest of that route the next day

So what I am wanting to understand is how good the connected app/ cradle will handle a longer trip, I know most of the feedback for its ability to navigate somewhere seems to be good and I like the idea of just using my phone so will the cradle/connected app combo meet my needs.

Sorry if this is not totally clear but happy to expand if needed

TIA

Mark

Hi Just used the cradle and app for a trip to the Black Forest, broke journey from North Lincs into three parts, planned route in apple maps exported as KLM file used an app to convert to GPX file emailed to my phone, saved to files on phone. Go to import routes in the app select file and good to go.
I would say it was 98% spot on couple of detoures through villages when there was a by pass but apart from that perfect
On a daily base just selected points went for windy roads an set usually great fun..

The Connected app will process, display and run long routes (for example 250 to 300 miles) if that is your question.

From what you’ve said, you have broken up your jaunt into daily bite sized chunks. This is sensible (no matter what device or app you are using) as creating a route many miles longer than you intend to ride in one day is pointless.

As you know roughly where you’ll be staying each night, I’d guess that you’d know reasonably well where you’ll be heading the next day? If so, start the next day’s route from say the next village or some point say five miles ahead of you that you know you’ll go through. When you fire up the BMW app, select ‘Take me from where I am through that point’ (or whatever it is the option says) and you’ll be fine.

Thanks for the input.
I've decided to buy a cradle and try it out. If it works out I can then sell my XT / Touratech mount as well as my quadlock setup or if it doesn't sell on the cradle.
I hope it does work as it will mean less handlebar clutter 😀
Cheers
Mark

Back
Top Bottom