BMW 1150GS (2004), thinking of a bit more “oomph”

122kgs more? Much prefer the Super Ten to the 1200GS, much more character to the mill than the Beemer.

Still think suspension is the way to go - was out on my 1100 the other day on the original (20000 mile) front shock while the Wilbers was having a new seal fitted and it was noticably harsher and less well damped. Was very happy when the Wilbers came back and I could remove it and stick it back under the bench.

I think you’ll find the weight difference is more like 12kgs with the Yamaha being the heavier of the two :beerjug:

There was a bike for sale on here a few years ago, an R1100GS IIRC, with a carburettor conversion and the performance gains were pretty impressive.

By the way, I have a 2017 Yamaha XT1200Z and I think it is a modern, more refined and powerful version of my old R1150GS

I think you’ll find the weight difference is more like 12kgs with the Yamaha being the heavier of the two :beerjug:

There was a bike for sale on here a few years ago, an R1100GS IIRC, with a carburettor conversion and the performance gains were pretty impressive.

By the way, I have a 2017 Yamaha XT1200Z and I think it is a modern, more refined and powerful version of my old R1150GS

Agreed - Tenere is indeed a good bike but near double the price of ours (ie £6k +) so compare them properly;

if I spent an extra £2-3k more on my bike so that we are then comparing apples to apples… I would struggle to find anyone who would choose a base Tenere to my souped up GS…

At the sub £4K budget, I still hold that our bikes are difficult to beat as do it all armchairs

Agreed - Tenere is indeed a good bike but near double the price of ours (ie £6k +) so compare them properly;

if I spent an extra £2-3k more on my bike so that we are then comparing apples to apples… I would struggle to find anyone who would choose a base Tenere to my souped up GS…

At the sub £4K budget, I still hold that our bikes are difficult to beat as do it all armchairs

Just read my response above

Meant to say ****if we were to compare them properly against each other we would have to****

The way it’s currently written is a bit rude and I did not mean it that way

My expectation was of around <5% difference but as soon as I started riding, it’s more like a 15-20% difference. More pickup at all rpm ranges. This is the bike I was hoping for! In the end rode for longer than expected as I couldn’t believe it
Quick, tell bmw how you’ve gained 15-20% more power, they’d spend millions trying to gain a measly 10% :D

Quick, tell bmw how you’ve gained 15-20% more power, they’d spend millions trying to gain a measly 10% :D

Ha - you know what I meant

Yes in reality it’s probably a measly 1-2hp and bit of torque if I’m lucky, but the way the bike “feels” is totally 15-20% different, which is probably also because of the decat weight loss mixed with the “power gain at all RPMs”

I still stand by my advice that for “bang for your Buck” the Remus / aftermarket exhaust and y decat is great value for the gains you receive

Ha - you know what I meant

Yes in reality it’s probably a measly 1-2hp and bit of torque if I’m lucky, but the way the bike “feels” is totally 15-20% different, which is probably also because of the decat weight loss mixed with the “power gain at all RPMs”

I still stand by my advice that for “bang for your Buck” the Remus / aftermarket exhaust and y decat is great value for the gains you receive

I had a Remus system on my Rockster for several years.

Tbh, the gain was (to me) not much different than my current setup (catalyser + tip), but the Remus system was definitely louder.

Also - keep an eye on the y-piece - on mine the bit of bent metal that 'catches' the centre-stand puck fell off (the welds broke) and the centre-stand foot started rubbing against the Paralever arm.

I had a Remus system on my Rockster for several years.

Tbh, the gain was (to me) not much different than my current setup (catalyser + tip), but the Remus system was definitely louder.

Also - keep an eye on the y-piece - on mine the bit of bent metal that 'catches' the centre-stand puck fell off (the welds broke) and the centre-stand foot started rubbing against the Paralever arm.

Cheers and noted

R1150GS stubby end can?

I have recently bought a decatted R1150GS 2002 and I'm in love with it.
The standard silencer is looking shabby and i have heard of the stubby end cans but never seen one, anyone point me in the right direction?

I have recently bought a decatted R1150GS 2002 and I'm in love with it.
The standard silencer is looking shabby and i have heard of the stubby end cans but never seen one, anyone point me in the right direction?

Decat and stubby is obnoxiously loud… If you want a stubby, you need to match it with a std collector box which acts as a silencer in its own right.

Decat and stubby is obnoxiously loud… If you want a stubby, you need to match it with a std collector box which acts as a silencer in its own right.

I would love to disagree, but do agree with this… my Remus exhaust and y pipe is already pretty loud. Now, if I were to have a stubby instead, wow that would be loud to the level of annoying the rider never mind the neighbors!

I know the bike must seem pretty quiet at the moment. Don’t worry, stick a normal aftermarket exhaust abs you’ll be very happy, no need for a teenager stubby.

But up to you

be happy with how it goes for touring, and get another bike to rag round when you want to, just been to Germany and back on the 1100 but raging round now on my 990, similar but different

Thanks, now i know what they are and don't want one, I'll get a remus for a little road presence as i don't rag round just ride it for fun. Thanks for the replies guys.

Is Remus the go to exhaust for the 1150? No Akro’s or Leo Vince etc.

The remus is the go to for an 1150.As the OP has done, remove the cat and fit a Y piece then bolt on remus end can and the bike comea alive and revs much more freely. If you have plastic panniers the one next to the exhaust may melt with the remus fitted though.

Thanks Shurv. Would that be a Remus revolution? I see a Remus Grand Prix for sale near me. Don’t want to make an expensive mistake.

Both are fine (I’ve had both fitted over the years…)

There’s still lots more simple stuff you can do to ‘give it more oomph’ - R1100s inlets and a K1200 fuel pressure regulator will make it free-flowing and gutsy when overtaking.

Back
Top Bottom