I'm in a Calimoto and Basecamp pickle - please help!

the woodster

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I wrote routes for my upcoming tour to The Ardenne on Calimoto and exported them to 'My Collection' in BC.

When I viewed them I saw that they were not in fact the routes but straight lines between the waypoints and there were many more waypoints on the route than I wrote on Calimoto.

Anyway, after 5 minutes online I found the option on BC to highlight the route (the three green squares) in the lower left hand pane (satnav content) and right click to 'Recalculate the selected route', which I did but to no effect. The straight lines remained. So after another slightly longer online browse, I clicked on the track (two blue footprints) and asked BC to 'Create a route from selected track', which it did, although the straight lines remain visible. The routes will not download to my device and a message keeps coming up in a box on BC which states:

'There was a problem communicating with BMW Motorrad Navigator V. An error occurred whilst reading the following files:

gpx/archive/2.gpx
gpx/archive/4.gpx

In an attempt to eliminate where the problem lies, I deleted a non-Calimoto route from my device and then re-downloaded it again from BC with no problems, although a similar version of the error message above appeared before the green tick appeared. I also checked that it was on my device in Trip Planner.

To make it even stranger, I emailed the routes to one of the guys coming on the trip and he has downloaded them onto his Nav 5 with no problems, as has another onto a Tom Tom.

Has anyone seen this before or encountered a similar issue please? I thought it might be something to do with Calimoto but the above info discounts that theory and I am leaning towards a conflict between the recalculated routes (done correctly or not?) and my device or version of BC.

It's not the end of the world as I've got the routes but I like to keep a back up on the Nav.

Many thanks in advance.

Have you had a look on the Garmin help/forums.

IIRC it relates to your device set-up .......... Setup->Routing->Activity to "Motorcycle Driving" from "Direct Routing" and Setup->Routing->Lock on Road to "Yes"

If that doesn't work, Wapping will be along shortly.

Why dont you just build the routes in Basecamp it's not that difficult

Have you had a look on the Garmin help/forums.

IIRC it relates to your device set-up .......... Setup->Routing->Activity to "Motorcycle Driving" from "Direct Routing" and Setup->Routing->Lock on Road to "Yes"

If that doesn't work, Wapping will be along shortly.

Thanks for the tip. I will explore that.

Straight lines, usually means:

1. There is not enough data (the breadcrumb trail between known points) so the device / BaseCamp cannot create a route between the known points.

2. There is a misfit in the maps.

3. It requires some sort of recalculation, to shock the breadcrumbs into life.

Helping you might be easier if you shared this route with us.

Does Calimoto have a help page? Their website appears to be down.

Straight lines, usually means:

1. There is not enough data (the breadcrumb trail between known points) so the device / BaseCamp cannot create a route between the known points.

2. There is a misfit in the maps.

3. It requires some sort of recalculation, to shock the breadcrumbs into life.

Helping you might be easier if you shared this route with us.

Does Calimoto have a help page? Their website appears to be down.

Hi Wapping,

By sharing, do you mean a link to the GPX file so that you can look at it? I've tried to cut and paste the file in but there's obviously a block on the site to that. Can you PM them to each other?

Thank you.

The file displays properly in Pocket Earth Pro but, as you say, it has two versions of the same thing:

1. One that follows the road between the shaping points

2. One that is straight lines between the shaping points

Well, your route loads fine into MyRouteApp and displays properly. BUT...it has 160 waypoints along it on a 165 mile route, which I am pretty sure was not your intent was it?

Here is the route.

I downloaded it first into Pocket Earth, where it displayed the two versions simultaneously. One the straight lines, the other the road following line.

I then asked Pocket Earth to delete the straight lines version.

I then exported the route from Pocket Earth into MyRoute, where (as far as I can tell) it displays properly.

615ee648ce0b9384ec6c158cbf479336.png

Guys, I'm just registering with My Route and working out how to download it and will then try and import it into BC and then the Nav 5. Thanks very much so far. I have no idea why there are all those waypoints!!

OK, there are four options to save it as a file. I choose the first but it's not visible in the folder I put it in when trying to import into My Collection on BC. Wife needs the laptop, I'll be back as soon as I can.

Does this load for you:

A. In BaseCamp

B. Into your GPS device

https://www.myrouteapp.com/en/social/route/5982701?mode=share

Hi again Wapping, Yes!! I have used My Route and just by-passed Basecamp and exported it straight to the Nav 5 by following the instructions on the help video. OK, only another four days to go! I will follow your steps above using Pocket Earth - delete straight line version - export to MyRoute. Well, I would do but I see it's for iPhone only.

I really appreciate your help and a great example of social media at it's best!! Thanks again Buddy!!

Back
Top Bottom