Wheel change

Combine man

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a 2014 gs1200 with the cast wheels,and would be keen to fit spoked ones,no other reason but I like the look of them.
I imagine they are an arm and a leg from BMW,have seen some on Ebay,but would be concerned to buy unless checked for run out etc.
Is this a straight forward swap,obviously all components from one to other, and any one got a set of spokes to sell?

I have a set of each, and the only difference is the front wheel spacer is a different size, dont know why. I think if i changed the bearing lip seal i would be able to use the same spacer, but i have both so it doesn't matter to me.
Stu

Thanks for replies. Have just looked on E Bay,various ones avaliable,and a pair from Motor Works,but they have a 2 to 3mm run out,reckon new is the only way,will speak to our local dealer and see if a deal can be done,would aim to fit new tyres etc and fit to bike when complete,I know it will be expensive,but aim to keep the bike,as work prevents me putting too many miles on bikes these days,mores the pity!

I have a set of each, and the only difference is the front wheel spacer is a different size, dont know why. I think if i changed the bearing lip seal i would be able to use the same spacer, but i have both so it doesn't matter to me.
Stu

Spacer part number is the same for the spoke and cast wheels

Just for interest I got prices today for spoked wheels,front one was £1000,rear just under£900, including disc bolts, and new tyres,etc,and having the required laptop jobs done,it would be about 2.5k,with possibility of a discount if Dealer did the whole job.
Do you spend the money Or buy a bike with spoked wheels to start with? Perhaps cast one's don't look too bad afteral !
Thanks for your Input.

Stu

Never noticed that on mine I just swap them over, one at a time so as the pressure sensors work

2 / 3 mm run out on spokes is about normal I believe

Just watch I had to replace a set of spoked on my 1250 after hitting a pothole at speed, both wheels with harline cracks but were running true.

Back
Top Bottom