R1250 self/home servicing

tspivey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’ve just swapped my trusty 2011 twin cam GS that hasn’t been near a dealer since it was three years old. I’ve serviced it more than it needed for the last 7/8 years with my GS911 providing the assistance for the slightly more complicated bits, ABS purge, Syncing etc.
I’ve now been tempted with an R1250GS but it’s obviously a different animal in some areas, shift cams and TFT electronics.
I can’t see much about self servicing for the 1250 apart from the basic oil/fluid/filters stuff, which maybe because they’ve only been out for three years ish.
I’d planned to suck up the dealer costs and let them service it while in the warranty period but I plan to keep it a good bit longer than that. When I pick it up on Wednesday I’ll be changing the final drive fluid even though it’s only done 5k and ‘should’ have been done at the running in service but I like to be sure.
Shift cam clearances?
What about software, there was an update released in March, that’s not likely to be something we can access in the future. Am I going to be tied to a dealer? was that BMW’s cunning plan. The LC’s have had TFT long enough, does that have software updates?
Should I stop worrying, lie down and take a pill.

Stop worrying.Do the normal mechanical things.Grease the shaft splines.Change the final drive oil every service.Get a gs 911. Check the fault codes every service.Youll be fine.Enjoy the enhanced power and torque :beerjug:

Just paid £140 for a 6000 mile service. I’ve always serviced my own bikes, but for that amount I’ll not bother.

I will do brake pads and spline lube myself though.

Just drained the oil out of the 1250RS at 10,500 kms (6000 miles). Looking at the oil, I would be happy to leave the stuff in for twice that distance. I have seen oil come out of cars for 40+ years and aircraft piston engines hundreds of times but have never seen used oil this clean.
If I was a tight git then I would put it back in! ;)

Just drained the oil out of the 1250RS at 10,500 kms (6000 miles). Looking at the oil, I would be happy to leave the stuff in for twice that distance. I have seen oil come out of cars for 40+ years and aircraft piston engines hundreds of times but have never seen used oil this clean.

Unfortunately or fortunately the oil in the LCs doing both gearbox and engine making change much more imperative.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately or fortunately the oil in the LCs doing both gearbox and engine making change much more imperative.

That’s another thing I’d not thought of. On the plus side I’ve always taken meticulous care of my clutch on my TC fearing the strip down if it ever needed changing.

Wait for 12000 service and after the price you pay for it, you may change your opinion.

Well I’ll be removing the crashe bars and head guards myself to lower the cost, but I’m sure it won’t be the end of the world.
Triumph wanted £700 for a service and valve check on my old T595 :blast

Just like in every Mini (A series engine) and who ever bothered with changing the oil in a Mini?

Just like in every Mini (A series engine) and who ever bothered with changing the oil in a Mini?
Nothing like a mini though is it, regarding power and engineering tolerances for starters, and the mini is a dry clutch

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

Well I’ll be removing the crashe bars and head guards myself to lower the cost, but I’m sure it won’t be the end of the world.
Triumph wanted £700 for a service and valve check on my old T595 :blast

You have a fantastic garage/workshop with a bike lift. I personally would change the oil myself, however it depends how much time/dollar you have :D

You have a fantastic garage/workshop with a bike lift. I personally would change the oil myself, however it depends how much time/dollar you have :D
I’m going to stick with the dealers until I relinquish the warranty.

There’s a 250lc hogging the bench currently (not mine!)

Nothing like a mini though is it, regarding power and engineering tolerances for starters, and the mini is a dry clutch

Thank you for your wise words of wisdom. Having spent all those years in engineering, including a few years in charge of maintenance policy for the Tornado aircraft fleet, I feel that you are trying to teach me to suck eggs.

Doesn't alter the fact that the mini and gs l/c engines cannot be compared in engineering terms but as a highly trained tornado bod you probably know that.

Back
Top Bottom