V85TT buffeting

wrinkleyowlie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Reading stuff about the V85, a fairly common problem seemed to be buffeting, a problem many did not appear to be able to solve.
On my last V85 I often switched between an Ermax screen and the lower half of a Givi airflow with a small deflector attached. Both these option gave great results.

On getting my latest V85 I tried both these options, both with less than satisfactory results. Exactly the same bike, same screens, surely the results should be the same, it would appear not.

After much head scratching as to what could be different, the only thing I could think of was that on my previous V85 I had fitted Caponord Ralley handguards. Surley this couldn't make that much difference?

I have some Caponord guards on order, but these days it could be 2 months before they turn up. Off I go into my bike shed to see if I can come up with anything? After a rummage around I find a black 99ltr flexible plastic bucket that I had used a few years ago to make something or other. Anyway, I cut out a couple of 6"x 3 1/2" pieces and fixed them behind the OEM Guzzi handguards with 2 1/2" sticking above the original guard. Took it out for a quick spin, low and behold it bloody worked. Obviously stilll some wind hitting you (it's a motorbike after all) but not one bit of buffeting.

Just goes to show, it's not always the screen that dirties the air.

Good tip and worth a try. I have a v85, I get blasted by the wind and it’s effing noisy but not buffeting. A Calsci screen I got secondhand is loads better than standard too.

On a 650 Transalp I used to have I took the mirrors off to try and cure the noise and buffeting. It helped loads so always worth looking at the non-obvious solution.

Interesting…….always looked at the screen…….never thought about the other stuff 🤔. Bought a cheap OE Guzzi touring screen off eBay and have found it ok….although it doesn’t look as nice so I reckon I’ll just swap to it for touring duties :)

New v85 rider here, vertically challenged 5' 7.5", currently have an Ermax (48cm I think) with a wind deflector, it's not bad, but I like the look of the OEM touring screen better, pricey so have a powerbronze 51 cm on the way, looks almost identical to OEM touring but cheaper.

Can't find any comments here about this powerbronze screen, anyone have one?

here is the Ermax setup
y36gqpnpJkDisRVw5

https://photos.app.goo.gl/y36gqpnpJkDisRVw5

An Ermax screen has been on my 'want' list since last year. I was hoping Santa would oblige, but no response to my increasingly unsubtle hints. Finally bit the bullet and ordered one today - will be interesting to see how much difference it makes. May well copy Steve's home made handguard extenders too as they sounds promising.

An Ermax screen has been on my 'want' list since last year. I was hoping Santa would oblige, but no response to my increasingly unsubtle hints. Finally bit the bullet and ordered one today - will be interesting to see how much difference it makes. May well copy Steve's home made handguard extenders too as they sounds promising.

Make sure that you follow the fitting instruction with the Ermax very carefully. the 2 small rubber spacers that go on the top two bolts are absolutely paramount to it fitting correctly. The home made handguard extensions do work well, but I have some Caponord rally handguards on order. These work really well but do need a small bracket making to fit perfectly.

Make sure that you follow the fitting instruction with the Ermax very carefully. the 2 small rubber spacers that go on the top two bolts are absolutely paramount to it fitting correctly. The home made handguard extensions do work well, but I have some Caponord rally handguards on order. These work really well but do need a small bracket making to fit perfectly.

Screen arrived yesterday. Which was good as I thought fitting it would be something positive to improve a bad day. Should have known better...
Removed standard screen and offered up the Ermax only to discover that the sides foul on the Guzzi subframe. Which explains the inclusion of stick on foam rubbing pads in the fitting kit... Poor. It also looks like the upper mounting holes do not line up - although this might be complicated by the mounts for the GPS bar that I have. I'm not sure how the rubber spacers will help as they would just move the screen out. At the moment I can't see how it can be fitted without rubbing and/or being under tension - and possibly losing the GPS bar. I'll find the original Guzzi mounts and have another look at it all when I'm less grumpy (could be a few days...)

Screen arrived yesterday. Which was good as I thought fitting it would be something positive to improve a bad day. Should have known better...
Removed standard screen and offered up the Ermax only to discover that the sides foul on the Guzzi subframe. Which explains the inclusion of stick on foam rubbing pads in the fitting kit... Poor. It also looks like the upper mounting holes do not line up - although this might be complicated by the mounts for the GPS bar that I have. I'm not sure how the rubber spacers will help as they would just move the screen out. At the moment I can't see how it can be fitted without rubbing and/or being under tension - and possibly losing the GPS bar. I'll find the original Guzzi mounts and have another look at it all when I'm less grumpy (could be a few days...)

All a bit frustrating eh, I know how you feel. The two rubber spacers for the top two mounting holes do make the difference. It will no fit without them. Be very careful, it is very easy to cross thread the bolts. I found the easiest way was to get my good lady to start the screwing process whilst I held the screen in place so as the bolts went in at the right angle. Good luck.

Obviously I dont have a Guzzi but many people try and solve buffeting by going bigger with the screen

Usually buffeting is caused by the turbulent air behind the screen so going smaller rather than bigger is often the answer

I dont have a screen at all and get no buffeting just "clean" air

The Multistrada caused me a few issues with wing noise and after a lot of testing and buggering about it became apparent that the mirrors sent air straight to the ear part of my helmet - no mirrors no noise

play about as Wrinkley has to find the often overlooked cause

Obviously I dont have a Guzzi but many people try and solve buffeting by going bigger with the screen

Usually buffeting is caused by the turbulent air behind the screen so going smaller rather than bigger is often the answer

The Multistrada caused me a few issues with wing noise and after a lot of testing and buggering about it became apparent that the mirrors sent air straight to the ear part of my helmet - no mirrors no noise

play about as Wrinkley has to find the often overlooked cause

Good advice

All a bit frustrating eh, I know how you feel. The two rubber spacers for the top two mounting holes do make the difference. It will no fit without them. Be very careful, it is very easy to cross thread the bolts. I found the easiest way was to get my good lady to start the screwing process whilst I held the screen in place so as the bolts went in at the right angle. Good luck.

What Steve said. It is a bit awkward but it fits.

What Steve said. It is a bit awkward but it fits.

Thanks chaps, all encouragement gratefully received.
Went for a human powered bike ride yeterday which improved my mood no end but woke up this morning still feeling slightly grumpy. So today I will mostly be washing the bike (it needs it) and tomorrow, for comparison porpoises, I'll try it without any screen at all...
And then I will revisit the Ermax.

Just picked up a VT85TT 2 days ago. Traded in my R1150GS.
Riding the VT85TT home was a revelation, no buffeting, quiet in the helmet, fresh air coming through the vents and only later did I realise that I hadn't put in any earplugs.
Almost as good a ride as my R75/6 with its S fairing.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Maybe making hand-guard extensions might be a nice little project for those who are handy with 3D Printing?

Absolutely agree with this.

I think a lot of people chase the nirvana of a pocket of still air behind the screen, logically trying larger screens and screen extensions. Since riding my (effectively) naked 1200, I am enjoying a far more comfortable ride - it's fine up to 90 (from a perspective of wind blast taking its toll on the neck) and the complete lack of buffeting is great. Unless I am doing a decent distance, I don't bother with ear plugs now (despite having needed them for years on all my faired or screened bikes).

So if you ARE inclined to experiment, maybe take your screen off completely and go for a ride. At the very least it will at least give you another base line to work from.

What screen does it have

Just picked up a VT85TT 2 days ago. Traded in my R1150GS.
Riding the VT85TT home was a revelation, no buffeting, quiet in the helmet, fresh air coming through the vents and only later did I realise that I hadn't put in any earplugs.
Almost as good a ride as my R75/6 with its S fairing.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

What screen does it have?

Back
Top Bottom