New Forest 2022 5,6,7 Aug, The TTiTs do.

Just back from riding the RKS down to Switzerland to meet up for a family holiday - which included some walking in the Alps and a spot of camping! Tiny Toddy flew down with her mum and sister but now is looking forward to enjoying a weekend away with her Dad n the bike (although apparently I snore when I've had a drink! :eek::D)

How is everyone shaping up?

I'm thinking of riding over on Friday afternoon to arrive around 5pm, but could adapt that if needed!

i'm off on the Friday and only 100 miles or so up the road (but will take the wiggly road down). I was aiming to get there for middish afternoon. It is only myself - no kids in tow!

I’d not booked in for this as it clashed with something else. I now can’t remember what it clashed with so I’m in, benefits of getting older :D

I’d not booked in for this as it clashed with something else. I now can’t remember what it clashed with so I’m in, benefits of getting older :D
An even bigger benefit of getting old is you can afford to live on the south coast

Great stuff - I happened to be on the IoW yesterday and I can confirm that the sea is fabulously warm.

If this warm weather holds, it will be tremendous.

Not sure of my arrival time - instinctively I was thinking of arriving at about 5 too, but may adjust that to avoid the heaviest traffic (not something I'd worry about but with Jnr. on the back I'm a bit more careful).

DJ123 it looks like you might be first on site - if so please bag a bit of space and get your elbows out!

How many are going in total so far? i'll try and bag a bit of space if possible, to be in the same area.

It's a nice ride to Moto Corsa in Gillingham who usually have a selection of interesting bikes + the cafe there is really good.

That’s not going to be possible as the Gillingham site is currently closed.

If you do go that far, I’d suggest Haynes museum is worth the ride, but probably a bit of a stretch.

I’m afraid I’ll be a no show, as I now have to go up to see my mother, who is getting in a right state over her dustbins. I’ll be going past the council offices, armed with a burning pitchfork.

I’m afraid I’ll be a no show, as I now have to go up to see my mother, who is getting in a right state over her dustbins. I’ll be going past the council offices, armed with a burning pitchfork.

If they give you grief, tell them that you know of a rough biker gang less than a hundred miles away who'll mobilise in a heartbeat (ride-out) and be there to sort things out properly (if there's tea and cake).

It may depend on the weather but I'd imagine we might get between 8 and 12 bikes... something like that.

cool, ok. I'll figure out the approx space and use some of the Donkeys to reserve it

That’s a shame Richard, would have been good to see you!
Hope you resolve the dustbin crisis!

cool, ok. I'll figure out the approx space and use some of the Donkeys to reserve it

I checked with campsite and I’m booked in for two people in a medium sized tent (whatever that means!). Also due to a cancelled work meeting it now looks like I’m arriving mid-afternoon!
I shall look out for several Donkeys in a circle around a protected space :D

OK onto critical matters - catering!!!

Last year we were blessed by having a couple of 4-wheelers with us who provided the kind of luxuries you struggle to bring on your Vespa (gas BBQs, cool boxes, chairs, table, windbreak...). Thanks again for all that Waps and DaveG.

However, this year I don't think we'll have any of that so have a think about catering. Our options for the evenings will include nipping to the Coop for some disposable BBQs and burgers or whatever, possibly a run to a chippy or a walk to the local Chequers pub.

In the mornings... do I remember correctly that the site shop/cafe offers coffee and bacon/egg sandwiches???

Anyway, the point is, expect less 'infrastructure' and be prepared to be a bit more creative this year.

Perhaps on Friday the best plan is to arrive, set up, then nip out for a shop for that evening's provisions and beers.

Any other ideas?

Might have to forego disposable bbq's due to the dryness of grass - i'd imagine they might restrict any open fires down there currently.

Might have to forego disposable bbq's due to the dryness of grass - i'd imagine they might restrict any open fires down there currently.

i have got one of those larger flat top stoves which could take a full size frying pan, if needed to cook meats/food.

but otherwise happy for the pub & chippy to fill some meals too.

Sadly there is currently a ban on open fires/BBQs across the New Forest region since April due to the dry conditions. Recent summers have seen some bad heath fires across the area.

I would suspect the camp site may be forced to also ban raised fires/BBQ's so perhaps call them in advance and ask ?

I hope you all have a great weekend and get to enjoy what we have to offer down South.

Back
Top Bottom