Final drive belt

hairysteve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Been considering a cvo Road King 2007 with low mileage but very little by way of service history. Was wondering at what age or mileage that the final drive belt might need replacing. Bike has done less than 6k miles but is still 15 years old......

If it has no damage ( stone issues) it should be good for the life of the bike…. Most issues are caused by over tension or a stone getting between the pulley and the belt…

Have a look along it’s length and look at the side profile checking for any delaminating .. if it’s sound, and tensioned correctly it will last for tens of thousands of miles

Service intervals are 5k… so it may have only had one service

Would be worth getting all fluids and filters done, clutch adjustment and belt tension check…

A good independent ( plenty around) would liberate you of about £300..

Tappets are hydraulic..so automatic

The mileage sounds exceptionally low, even for a garage queen 110 - what is the story?

My service guy reckons the belts are good for a min 50k, unless a stone gets them. I wouldn't worry about the lack of service evidence, just get it straight along to an indy for a full recommissioning service as twizzle suggests; worth using as a bargaining tool though.

From what I have been told bike was garaged most of its life in the states and imported over here about 4 years ago and seen little use since. Only have the current owners word on this....

If it Starts, Runs and Stops alright, it probably is alright.
Don't panic too much if the Top End Chatters like a Bunch of Monkeys on Speed, I think all Factory 110's do that.
All mine have at least.....

Back
Top Bottom