Into The West IX, Leenane, Co Galway - 2-4 September 2022

Makes me wonder who has booked & not told me :confused:[/QUOTE]

Anne and I on the waiting list after missing it last year, here's hoping for a room for this year.

Interesting postbox - must be 100 years old or more

08f6382b6b6a60306fa49d5496a27776.jpg

One postbox that never got changed, I guess

Interesting item

You’ll find a lot of them around the country, particularly in more rural areas
I’d guess that there wasn’t enough money, back in the day, to replace what were perfectly serviceable post boxes so we gave them a lick of green paint & job done :aidan

You’ll find a lot of them around the country, particularly in more rural areas
I’d guess that there wasn’t enough money, back in the day, to replace what were perfectly serviceable post boxes so we gave them a lick of green paint & job done :aidan

Great explanation
Just surprised me to see VR on it

Great explanation
Just surprised me to see VR on it

Picked up from a post of Flicker

Notice the presence of two ciphers – one for King George V and the other for Saorstát Eireann (Irish Free State).

The Irish Free State (Saorstát Eireann) came into existence in 1922 with the signing of the Anglo-Irish Treaty and continued until 1937, when it became a Republic. Prior to 1922, Ireland had been part of the United Kingdom and already had a well-established postal system based on the English model, complete with post boxes going back the Victorian era. Fortunately, there are still a great many pre-independence post boxes to be seen throughout Ireland and their variety make them quite an interesting subject.

So when the Irish Free State came into being, the new Irish Post Office had to adapt all the existing post boxes. The first and most obvious was to repaint them all green, the national colour. Then there was the question of the Royal cipher cast onto the existing boxes. Some boxes had the entire cipher (regal initials crown) erased by grinding off the metal, others just the initials but most retained the Royal cipher, as in this case. Another adaptation was the addition of the Saorstát Eireann cipher – the SE crest. This comprised of large initials SE contained within a round decorated boarder surmounted by the harp. In this instance, the wallbox appears to have been fitted with a replacement door cast with the SE cipher. In some other cases, a casting of the SE cipher was welded on.

This wall box was probably made during the 1920’s and cast by W.T. Allen & Co of London. W.T. Allen & Co were an iron foundry that produce a great many post boxes for the British Isles between 1886 and 1980, when they stopped making wallboxes. The words POST OFFICE are cast onto the rainhood above the slot. Unfortunately, many layers of paint applied over the years have obscured the fine details of both the Royal and SE ciphers.

Picked up from a post of Flicker

Notice the presence of two ciphers – one for King George V and the other for Saorstát Eireann (Irish Free State).

The Irish Free State (Saorstát Eireann) came into existence in 1922 with the signing of the Anglo-Irish Treaty and continued until 1937, when it became a Republic. Prior to 1922, Ireland had been part of the United Kingdom and already had a well-established postal system based on the English model, complete with post boxes going back the Victorian era. Fortunately, there are still a great many pre-independence post boxes to be seen throughout Ireland and their variety make them quite an interesting subject.

So when the Irish Free State came into being, the new Irish Post Office had to adapt all the existing post boxes. The first and most obvious was to repaint them all green, the national colour. Then there was the question of the Royal cipher cast onto the existing boxes. Some boxes had the entire cipher (regal initials crown) erased by grinding off the metal, others just the initials but most retained the Royal cipher, as in this case. Another adaptation was the addition of the Saorstát Eireann cipher – the SE crest. This comprised of large initials SE contained within a round decorated boarder surmounted by the harp. In this instance, the wallbox appears to have been fitted with a replacement door cast with the SE cipher. In some other cases, a casting of the SE cipher was welded on.

This wall box was probably made during the 1920’s and cast by W.T. Allen & Co of London. W.T. Allen & Co were an iron foundry that produce a great many post boxes for the British Isles between 1886 and 1980, when they stopped making wallboxes. The words POST OFFICE are cast onto the rainhood above the slot. Unfortunately, many layers of paint applied over the years have obscured the fine details of both the Royal and SE ciphers.

Thanks Colm for that
Most enlightening topic
Ireland is full of great surprises and a delightful country to tour in

From the bold cornor

Hi Folks,
Last year was our first visit to Leenane with the group and we were so impressed we booked again and told our friends too.

So I can account for 3 rooms unfortunately
Mike And Pamela
Eoin and Karen
Mark and whoever he picks up along the way.... but he will be on a AT so wont get lucky.

Have the organisers booked the same weather as last year?:beerjug:

Hi Folks,
Last year was our first visit to Leenane with the group and we were so impressed we booked again and told our friends too.

So I can account for 3 rooms unfortunately
Mike And Pamela
Eoin and Karen
Mark and whoever he picks up along the way.... but he will be on a AT so wont get lucky.

Have the organisers booked the same weather as last year?:beerjug:

Mike, Mike, Mike, what’s to be done with ya at all at all :nenau

I have requested a dry sunny weekend but who knows ? Fingers crossed ;)

All now added :beerjug:

All booked in last September Jochen so please add me to the list.

I'll be on the mighty S10 which will be a lot better on the boreens than 2 up on an RT like last time I was there...................:eek:

Other even older Victorian Post Boxes in Ireland

Interesting postbox - must be 100 years old or more

08f6382b6b6a60306fa49d5496a27776.jpg

the one in the Photo is in Glenmalure, Co. Wicklow. It is probably circa 1862/3. Look at the Victoria insignia on the bottom half.

Somewhere I have a photo of a slightly younger one in Wexford town. It also has a semi-circular top over the slot and is probably 10 years younger than this one.

Attachments

• Victorian Postbox.jpg
    Victorian Postbox.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 166
the one in the Photo is in Glenmalure, Co. Wicklow. It is probably circa 1862/3. Look at the Victoria insignia on the bottom half.

Somewhere I have a photo of a slightly younger one in Wexford town. It also has a semi-circular top over the slot and is probably 10 years younger than this one.

Back
Top Bottom