Is the pain worth it? Moving from Mac to Windows

Orinoco

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've a 2012 MacBook Pro which works fine, though stuck on Catalina now. Through complicated reasons I now have an 2020 HP i7 laptop running Windows 10.

I've not used a Windows PC for years, my Mac is fine, though clearly getting outdated and battery performance is not what it was. Usage is 90% browsing, usually UKGSER (that's quite sad!), eBay, Facebook, Kurviger, use Gmail for emails through Safari, the usual WWW stuff. But I also have an iPhone so, photos and music integrated, I also use Basecamp on the Mac.

Can I get my iPhone to backup stuff to Windows in the same way.

Anyone recently converted back and able to offer advice? I'm OK finding my way around a computer, but far from knowledgable :)

Cheers

I'm sorry. I feel for you.

You could always sell the HP and use the money towards another Mac - there were some nice ones on here recently.

they are both the same with the new windows and new machines really.

I am now a windows user and all is well.

You can install iTunes onto the windows computer to do a full phone backup, and you can copy photos off the phone when it is connected. If you have iCloud, you can still use that to do some sync, and you can connect to icloud from the windows machine. Not exactly seemless, but absolutely do some backups, you can use that interface to do ios upgrades and if necessary restore back. I've survived without a mac, I'm sure others can too.

In the good 'ole days itunes was good for managing music and apps on the phone, it is different now, but everything I need is there somewhwere.

You can install iTunes onto the windows computer to do a full phone backup, and you can copy photos off the phone when it is connected. If you have iCloud, you can still use that to do some sync, and you can connect to icloud from the windows machine. Not exactly seemless, but absolutely do some backups, you can use that interface to do ios upgrades and if necessary restore back. I've survived without a mac, I'm sure others can too.

I have seen people do Gantt charts in Excel. But there are better tools for the job.

Usage is 90% browsing, usually UKGSER (that's quite sad!), eBay, Facebook, Kurviger, use Gmail for emails through Safari, the usual WWW stuff. But I also have an iPhone so, photos and music integrated, I also use Basecamp on the Mac.

An iPad Pro (or even the standard iPad) will do all that, except run BaseCamp. Use MyRoute for route creation.

An iPad Pro (or even the standard iPad) will do all that, except run BaseCamp. Use MyRoute for route creation.

As my MacBook is getting old I have also come to the conclusion that an iPad is the obvious answer for 90% of us. Unfortunately I have to produce invoices which I cannot do on an iPad.

I have a MacBook Pro and an iPad Air. I use the latter for a huge amount of stuff that always previously was done on the MacBook. With the magic keyboard, the iPad is excellent.

In terms of the original question, wild horses wouldn’t get me back on PC’s.

I have changed to a windows and android setup. Far better for my needs.

Are macs good, yep, are iphones good, yep.
Are they crippled by software, yep.

As my MacBook is getting old I have also come to the conclusion that an iPad is the obvious answer for 90% of us. Unfortunately I have to produce invoices which I cannot do on an iPad.

Is there not an app or two that will create an invoice?

Is there not an app or two that will create an invoice?

Possibly, but I had a quick look and didn’t see one. Mind you, I am SO disinterested in computer stuff I’m now a complete numpty.

Back
Top Bottom