Iceland and Scottish Highlands tent

Yes Toddy there's many great tents out there but personally I'd never have one that pitched inner first again.

Yes Toddy there's many great tents out there but personally I'd never have one that pitched inner first again.

Nor me Tim, there's nothing worse than trying to pitch a tent that has to have the inner erected first in a gale with horizontal rain (ie. summer in Iceland :D) - Just ask Lee about that one!!!

What I like about the Hillebergs I have is if things get really horrible, I can detach the inner and pack it into a dry bag whilst remaining inside the outer tent - I also always have an integrated footprint. I can then take the outer down and store both parts separately. When you get to the next destination, you can put up the outer first and then inset the inner, whilst keeping everything dry. I find it really handy feature and it means that you always have a completely dry area to sleep in!

Just my way of doing it, and only in the worst weather, otherwise I just pitch it all in one.

Hi everyone hope we are all well,

Just re researching trips for a few planned trips up to the Cairngorms in Scotland and for a trip with dad to Iceland and Norway to next year.

I've been looking at a few Hilleberg's but seen a few things about zipper issues on them.

Been looking at the Soulo BL and the Tarra.

Has anyone else got any expedition 4 season tent recommendations other than the Hilleberg's or has anyone used the Soulo BL or Tarra if so how have you got on with them in high wind conditions? :beerjug:

Thanks in advance,

Are you planning on walking far with your camping gear?

If the answer is no then I’d look at a Vango Force 10 but the cotton rather than nylon version. They’re waterproof, stand up to very high winds and they’re much quieter than any nylon tent.

If you’re walking a bit further then my recommendation would be a Terra Nova Quasar, possibly with the extended porch. They just do what they’re supposed to do and they don’t fall down in storms. I’ve carried one on my own and it was heavier than I’d have preferred but if there are 2 of you then split it with one carrying fly sheet and poles, the other carrying the inner.

Thanks everyone really appreciating all the advice n help.

I'll check the Terra Novas out to :)

The Hillebergs do sound like the ticket what's everyone's take regarding going for free standing vs none?

I'm 6'2 height wise.

Thanks again.

It's also important to get out of the right side of the bed.

Nope I have reached the point in life where I have no fucking time for idiots posting shite.
I made a reasonable comment about the tent video in the wind not being pitched properly with guy ropes not in the correct place to counteract the wind forces at play, Not sure if I made my point but the idea was that the tent was not at fault but the putting up of it was.
We then get some half arse post with a non related attached video about pitching a tent in the dry no wind and not relevant to the first at all.
Sorry but that kind of fucking stupidity needs to be challenged at all time. By all means post something relevant that adds to the conversation, if something is not clear ask for clarification that is what a forum is all about.
But if you post shite expect to get shite back, just stands to reason.
Either that or just shut the fuck up about a subject upon which by the evidence you are profoundly ignorant.

I give up!

The tent was pitched in lovely weather with a view to the Torres. Nothing was forecast and the tent was pitched as per video. Come morning it got a bit breezy so I went for breakfast and shot a little video to show that the tent stood up quite well. Nothing more nothing less. Maybe Tim or others could give me their tips as they own a Tarra. As the tent was still there on return from breakfast I take it it was pitched correctly or good enough not to have been blown away. Maybe this guy has got it wrong too? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUNiiLrEyjA can't be arsed to link it.

If one has a vast wealth of knowledge on the subject, try putting in some constructive advice instead of giving shit. I'm sure Steele01 would appreciate some of your positive input.

Nor me Tim, there's nothing worse than trying to pitch a tent that has to have the inner erected first in a gale with horizontal rain (ie. summer in Iceland :D) - Just ask Lee about that one!!!

What I like about the Hillebergs I have is if things get really horrible, I can detach the inner and pack it into a dry bag whilst remaining inside the outer tent - I also always have an integrated footprint. I can then take the outer down and store both parts separately. When you get to the next destination, you can put up the outer first and then inset the inner, whilst keeping everything dry. I find it really handy feature and it means that you always have a completely dry area to sleep in!

Just my way of doing it, and only in the worst weather, otherwise I just pitch it all in one.

Another benefit of this approx is it provides a useful interlude to catch-up on the previous nights events, weather forecast, check the bike for loose bolts, etc all whilst we wait for Toddy to repack each component like it was factory fresh.

Sorry Toddy, had to be said!

I always thought it was the camp who were bitchy, not the campers.

Another benefit of this approx is it provides a useful interlude to catch-up on the previous nights events, weather forecast, check the bike for loose bolts, etc all whilst we wait for Toddy to repack each component like it was factory fresh.

Sorry Toddy, had to be said!

Ha this cannot be denied Jon, however it is a value added service I provide at no additional cost! :p

Sadly, rather than spending this gift of time on wothwhile activities as described above, you chose to waste it by busking on the roadside with your Irish soulmate whilst pestering passers by for their loose change :D

Attachments

• 2A42AD5B-15A9-4583-A516-AE2FBDB3FA8F.jpg
    2A42AD5B-15A9-4583-A516-AE2FBDB3FA8F.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 222
Ha ha one of those moments that motorcycle are all about for me :)

He might have one for sale too.

He might not.

I have a Kaitum 3 GT and a Allak 3. Both fantastic tents. Only used them a couple of times each so far but can’t fault the quality at all. I was advised on here to buy Hilleberg and I’ll never buy anything else now. I’m even looking for a Hilleberg Rogen now for lightweight backpacking trips on foot. :thumb2

I have a Staika, which I am struggling to get on with.
I know it's a strong, self supporting tent that will take a beating, but for gentle use I do find it a bit frustrating.
The dome shape naturally gives sloping sides which lets water piss in when the door is opened.
Always stretching forward or leaning back to operate zips and vents.
Unclipping the inner to give a pit more porch space leaves it all baggy and flappy.
Pitching I find a bit of a pain too, making sure all the guys aren't the wrong side of the poles. Working out which way it's facing isn't as easy as you'd imagine either.

I find my Nammatj 3 just so much better in every aspect.
2 pegs in, 2 poles in, stretch it out and peg it out.
There is no better venting tent, and it's the best all rounder available.
I love mine so much, I bought a Nammatj 3GT to keep it company.

Nallo, Kaitum, Nammatj or possibly Tarra are what Hilleberg are about for me, but I just prefer tunnel tents I guess.

Pitching I find a bit of a pain too, making sure all the guys aren't the wrong side of the poles. Working out which way it's facing isn't as easy as you'd imagine either.

It's easier than you imagine because you haven't tied anything small at the foot of the door area to instantly show you....also the zip's a clue, some pink ribbon tied to the zipper etc etc :D I've also removed all the lower guys on my Soulo as they become a pain by catching on the pole clips when unpacking and I can't be fussed with tying them up. It's plenty strong enough using the upper guys.

But you're right, I looked at the Staika and decided not for me, I really like my Tarra but it's a bit ott.... if only they made the Nammatj 2 GT with a door on both sides of the vestibule.
First Hilleberg I had was a Nallo 2GT which was ok but didn't gel with it.
I have a Kaitum 3GT which is awesome but too big my my needs these days and stick with a Soulo which has a very effective rain gutter above the entrance.

Cheers everyone really appreciating the advice :) I'll deffo be going for a Hilleberg once I decide on which model exciting times :beerjug:

It's easier than you imagine because you haven't tied anything small at the foot of the door area to instantly show you....also the zip's a clue, some pink ribbon tied to the zipper etc etc :D I've also removed all the lower guys on my Soulo as they become a pain by catching on the pole clips when unpacking and I can't be fussed with tying them up. It's plenty strong enough using the upper guys.

But you're right, I looked at the Staika and decided not for me, I really like my Tarra but it's a bit ott.... if only they made the Nammatj 2 GT with a door on both sides of the vestibule.
First Hilleberg I had was a Nallo 2GT which was ok but didn't gel with it.
I have a Kaitum 3GT which is awesome but too big my my needs these days and stick with a Soulo which has a very effective rain gutter above the entrance.

I reckon a Nammatj 2.5 GT with a door either side would be the ultimate tent.
20cm wider than a 2, and 10cm lower than a 3 ... and with a 10 cm longer inner.

Good tip about tying something to the front of the Staika for orientation purposes. :thumb

I think I'm being a little harsh on the Staika, as it hasn't really been tested for what it was designed for.
Bought on a whim after a frustrating night trying to pitch the Nammatj on a stormy Islay, rocky foreshore.
I think one good night like this of battening down the hatches would show it's merits rather than compromises.
But instead we got lockdown and no real chance to use it properly. And the few camping trips it has seen in grassy meadows in good weather have me reaching for the Nammatj every time.
I don't regret buying the Staika, and was originally interested in the Allak 2, but was offered the Staika for Allak money (as long as I had green)

And now of course there is the Soulo Black label, which I would happily move on the Akto to make space for.

So it's all good really, as you can always move these things on and re coup most of the outlay.
I seem to recall paying £365 for the Akto with the Cotswold discount in 2014, and I think I could get that back now!

I have a Staika, which I am struggling to get on with.
I know it's a strong, self supporting tent that will take a beating, but for gentle use I do find it a bit frustrating.
The dome shape naturally gives sloping sides which lets water piss in when the door is opened.
Always stretching forward or leaning back to operate zips and vents.
Unclipping the inner to give a pit more porch space leaves it all baggy and flappy.

I find my Nammatj 3 just so much better in every aspect.
2 pegs in, 2 poles in, stretch it out and peg it out.
There is no better venting tent, and it's the best all rounder available.
I love mine so much, I bought a Nammatj 3GT to keep it company.

Nallo, Kaitum, Nammatj or possibly Tarra are what Hilleberg are about for me, but I just prefer tunnel tents I guess.

Tents are a very personal thing, and we are all a bit unique in our needs, hence why the OP should try several for himself and work out what’s best for him.

I love the Staika and don’t have any of the issues with it you mention, apart from opening the door when it is wet is a bit of a learned art to stop water dripping into the vestibule. I love the way it can be set up free standing when needed, and I find it pitches really easily once you have the right sequence worked out. I also had a tunnel tent but didn’t like it as much as the Staika as if the wind switched direction in the night it could cause issues.

Anyway viva la difference! :beerjug:

One thing we do agree on though is the extremely high quality and build strength, and they hold their money very well should you wish to move one on at any point.

Let’s hope the OP reports back on what has been purchased and how he’s getting on with it.

Thanks guy's brilliant advice and info when the time comes I will do a full report on it an the trip probably be on a 300 rally or 310gs maybe by then :) looking at lighter options than another big GS or my 650xt Strom but that's for another thread sometime.

The hardest bit has been finding companies with Hillebergs in stock everywhere seem's out at the moment so hopefully that calm's down and I can get a look at a few. I'm leaning towards a Geodistic / dome rather than tunnel if that's the right term.

So thinking Soulo BL for weight and cost.

Then the Staika for something a bit bigger for the kit and stuff and being free standing.

my Ideal choice would be the Tarra but it's 1.5kg heavier and then a bit pricey but by the time the trip comes round might be in a better position to go for one though. I do like the look of the specs though. I might give the Soulo or Staika a go for some solo stuff in the UK before we do the big trip.

One advantage of the 2p ones would be if we had a unlikely failure both of us could get in the others tent (my dads coming to so everything we get is x2 bikes gear panniers etc) an before anyone says share he snores like a jack hammer haha!

Lot's to think about :) it'l deffo be a Hilleberg though.

Unfortunately Hilleberg tents are hardly ever discounted. I waited and waited too long and most places ran out of stock! :blast I got on the waiting list at Taunton Leisure and as soon as they came in they sent me an email and I bought it. Unless you get one second hand from eBay or off here you’ll probably have to pay full price. They are well worth the money. :thumb2 I’m about to order my 3rd! :D.

Where abouts in the north west are you? I have my Hilleberg Allak 3 with me if you want to have a look at one. You can then see how easy they are to put up and the pure quality of them. I’m in the north Lake District until Thursday and then Hawes until Saturday.
It’s not for sale though. :D

Back
Top Bottom