Iceland and Scottish Highlands tent

steele01

Reaction score
Hi everyone hope we are all well,

Just re researching trips for a few planned trips up to the Cairngorms in Scotland and for a trip with dad to Iceland and Norway to next year.

I've been looking at a few Hilleberg's but seen a few things about zipper issues on them.

Been looking at the Soulo BL and the Tarra.

Has anyone else got any expedition 4 season tent recommendations other than the Hilleberg's or has anyone used the Soulo BL or Tarra if so how have you got on with them in high wind conditions? :beerjug:

Thanks in advance,

I’ve used Soulo and it’s slightly bigger brother in windy wet Icelandic weather and no issues. Completely dry and stayed put.

Only regret is that I’d used a tarp with the Soulo sooner.

Thanks Joe that's good to know :) which other model did you use if you don't mind me asking

The Zipper 'issue' is something that came up once or twice on the internet!

In reality Hilleberg zippers are no different in that if they become clogged with grit it can cause an issue, it's why Hilleberg recommend cleaning them with a brush periodically.

I've been using Hillebergs for 12 years with not a single problem.

Well with this breeze it was a tad difficult to walk in, or sleep in for the matter. It's a shame the only problem with the Hilleberg Tarra are the zips, which are a royal pain. I'll get mine turned into a normal A frame style when I get the chance. Not that I'll be camping/traveling anytime soon. ps, my Vaude which I got off here was great but with the abuse it got and it's age I had to trade it in. Customer care with Vaude is 5 star.

Ahhh Tim, mine must have been Friday afternoon one, nothing but snags from day one, couldn't send it back due to needing it in NZ.

Very interesting guys it's interesting to see both sides, that's one I hadn't thought off the Vaude.

Well with this breeze it was a tad difficult to walk in, or sleep in for the matter. It's a shame the only problem with the Hilleberg Tarra are the zips, which are a royal pain. I'll get mine turned into a normal A frame style when I get the chance. Not that I'll be camping/traveling anytime soon. ps, my Vaude which I got off here was great but with the abuse it got and it's age I had to trade it in. Customer care with Vaude is 5 star.

Ahhh Tim, mine must have been Friday afternoon one, nothing but snags from day one, couldn't send it back due to needing it in NZ.

no wonder that tent is blowing about not a guy rope in sight on the top of the frame poles I have used similar tents in worse weather without any issue, its not the tent its the idiot putting it up

I think Udders had a thread seeking advice on tents for the northern climes. It might be worth hunting it out.

As to Hilleberg? As above, they are excellent tents. Not cheap but will, with some simple care, last a long time and often do well on re-sale.

That's not good at all, my Tarra has been good....so far!
I'm sure though Hilleberg would give you a new tent when the times right.

I think Udders had a thread seeking advice on tents for the northern climes. It might be worth hunting it out.

As to Hilleberg? As above, they are excellent tents. Not cheap but will, with some simple care, last a long time and often do well on re-sale.

He might have one for sale too.

Take a look at Terra Nova.
Made in the UK. Not the cheapest but good kit.
I've two models.
The hyperspace. Supposed to be a 3 man but good size 2 man. Absolutely bomb proof. Used in Scotland for years as well as one trip to Iceland.
Must be nearly 20 years old now and still going strong.
Voyager superlight. Really a one man tent. Very light and easy to put up.
Used it in Scotland for years and once in the states. Not as robust as the hyperspace but never intended as an expedition tent.
Taking it to Norway this summer but don't think they see the winds that you get in Iceland.

Point to note. Many foreign made tents do not take into the account the "Scottish midge" as the mesh is not fine enough to stop them.
Terra Nova does.
Mate once told me "buy a tent made in the country you're going to use it in most".
The rules always worked for me.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

no wonder that tent is blowing about not a guy rope in sight on the top of the frame poles I have used similar tents in worse weather without any issue, its not the tent its the idiot putting it up

Yes this Idiot did put all the guys out on the Tarra, as per company video. All the guys are in set positions so maybe Hilleberg has got it wrong. Similar tents but not a Tarra. Here's a video.

Yes this Idiot did put all the guys out on the Tarra, as per company video. All the guys are in set positions so maybe Hilleberg has got it wrong. Similar tents but not a Tarra. Here's a video.

If you don't understand the difference for putting up a tent when it is calm weather and how you need to put it up for stability in high winds there is no point in continuing with the conversation as your way too stupid to understand, if you do understand then just fucking stupid for posting a completely irrelevant video, your choice.

I'm sure they would, it is no doubt a cracking tent and as you know the weather down south can be brutal. It just so happened I pitched next to the cafe so I thought I'd get a clip of this bit of breeze after two days of sunny weather (pitched for that lovely view of the Torres, as per show us your view from your tent thread). The Tarra has been through quite a bit of bad weather and I did ponder on putting two sets of poles through, if ever I head down there again, I'd also run a couple of top guys as well.

Sorry Bowser I'm a bit late as I'm answering Tims, I pitched in beautiful weather for the view of the Torres. The video shows how it's rigged! It has no top guys!

If you need two sets of poles on a Tarra then you've either been very unlucky or pitched it in the wrong place. I have full confidence in mine :)

Just for safeguard I suppose. If not can always use them to assist with the tarp in better weather. You never know when the weather will turn, I think the Vaude and two other tents in a couple of dozen were left standing when a storm broke out in South Island, it did manage to snap a pole. Lots of unhappy people that night.

If you don't understand the difference for putting up a tent when it is calm weather and how you need to put it up for stability in high winds there is no point in continuing with the conversation as your way too stupid to understand, if you do understand then just fucking stupid for posting a completely irrelevant video, your choice.

It's also important to get out of the right side of the bed.

I have three Hilleberg Tents:

An Akto for walking and cycling trips
A Staika for motorcycle trips when I’m sleeping solo
A Saitaris for motorcycling and family hols when I’m with my daughters and need more space for sleeping.

I also used to have a Nallo2GT for cycling but sold that to buy the Akto.

They are all superb quality and I really like the way they are put together and how you can put them up in one, or take out the inner to keep it dry if the weather is really bad. I’ve never had any problems with the zips, as Tim says just keep them clean and take care they con’t catch in th fabric when zipping and in-zipping. They have never let me down, even in the worst of weather and the layout and venting works really well.

Here’s a pic of the Staika in Iceland. I know Tim reckoned this model was a bit cramped for his extra height, but I am 5’11” and have no problems. I’m obviously a Hilleberg fan, but if you are serious about getting something in the higher spec range, then it’s a lot of money to spend, so make sure you try several options in the shop. Put them up and take them down and get inside and see if the layout works, and can you sit up, get changed easily etc. If you’re going to Iceland also imagine what it would be like to set it up on the third day of pissing down rain in a gale when you’re knackered! :D

Attachments

• D34E99E0-C3C4-4836-998E-F3A39A844CFB.jpeg
    D34E99E0-C3C4-4836-998E-F3A39A844CFB.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 261

Back
Top Bottom