Iceland and Scottish Highlands tent

Nope I have reached the point in life where I have no fucking time for idiots posting shite.
I made a reasonable comment about the tent video in the wind not being pitched properly with guy ropes not in the correct place to counteract the wind forces at play, Not sure if I made my point but the idea was that the tent was not at fault but the putting up of it was.
We then get some half arse post with a non related attached video about pitching a tent in the dry no wind and not relevant to the first at all.
Sorry but that kind of fucking stupidity needs to be challenged at all time. By all means post something relevant that adds to the conversation, if something is not clear ask for clarification that is what a forum is all about.
But if you post shite expect to get shite back, just stands to reason.
Either that or just shut the fuck up about a subject upon which by the evidence you are profoundly ignorant.

Surprisingly excited about tents, is that how you chat in your local? Just curious.

If anyone has a quality tent for sale, please let me know, as we've booked our very first tent trip and my mate needs one!

Thanks.

Weight, size, type of use? Might have something

One - two person, light - a Soulo / Unna would be what I'd buy, but he may never use it again, so that's a chunky investment :D

It's specifically for a three night Welsh trip mid June.

Fire me over anything you may have. Thanks.

Unfortunately Hilleberg tents are hardly ever discounted. I waited and waited too long and most places ran out of stock! :blast I got on the waiting list at Taunton Leisure and as soon as they came in they sent me an email and I bought it.

That's true but around 3 year years ago I sent Taunton Leisure a link to a £200 discounted Soulo from a French site, not only did they honour their price match but added a footprint and free postage! Happy days :)

That's true but around 3 year years ago I sent Taunton Leisure a link to a £200 discounted Soulo from a French site, not only did they honour their price match but added a footprint and free postage! Happy days :)

I got hefty discounts on all 4 of mine, and footprints with 3 of them!

The last I bought was from Outside in Cambridge. It was the Staika which I got for £850 with a footprint.
I was after a sand Allak, but offered a green Staika for the same money as they had over ordered in green.
I seem to recall the RRP for the Staika being £1050 at the time (Autumn 2019)

Alpenstock were great to deal with, and Jose (I think was his name) sourced me spare parts and poles before he closed down.
The Nammatj 3 GT I had from him (in the later very dark green) cost £825 with a footprint in Sept 2017.

They all seemed extortionate at the time, and I still remember baulking at £475 for a Nallo 2 in about 2009. Taunton tried to seal the deal with a footprint thrown in ... but I was not spending the lions share of £500 on a tent

I'm glad I splurged on tents, guitars, watches and motors when times were good, as everything seems extortionate now.

Well, a member on here helped out and my mate now has a tent for our trip to Wales week after next. I popped round to help him test it out, but didn't need to, as he pitched within 5 mins.

It's an old, heavy bugger compared to many (4kg ish), but the weight won't matter on a bike and the tent looks as new as the day it was bought. It sure is roomy and sturdy. Makes mine feel really small.

Yes, we popped the flysheet on after I took the pic.

Excellent, and well done whoever it was that helped out. :thumb2

I know it doesn’t bother most people but personally I’d never have a tent that you have to pitch the inner separately to the fly sheet. Simply for the reason that if it’s pissing down with rain when you have to pitch up then the inner gets wet. Same when you take it down again. Unless of course there’s zero chance of rain.
I’m going to be trying out my brand new Hilleberg Rogen this weekend and fit the ground sheet too. :thumb2

Excellent, and well done whoever it was that helped out. :thumb2

I know it doesn’t bother most people but personally I’d never have a tent that you have to pitch the inner separately to the fly sheet. Simply for the reason that if it’s pissing down with rain when you have to pitch up then the inner gets wet. Same when you take it down again. Unless of course there’s zero chance of rain.
I’m going to be trying out my brand new Hilleberg Rogen this weekend and fit the ground sheet too. :thumb2

I don't disagree that is the best overall solution, however, my mate was on a budget likely never to camp again and if there is a 1% chance of rain on the day of arrival, he will be staying in a hotel/B&B/whatever.

Inner first is fine for good weather camping and allows a much greater choice of tents.

I've been using Terra Nova tents in Scotland and elsewhere in the world for 25 years or so on a regular basis. And let's face it, there's no way they've all been dry camping trips.
Both of them you pitch the inner first.
Never been an issue you just have to make sure you're familiar enough in getting the inner up quick enough and the outer on in suitable time.
The fine tuning can be done once the tents weather proof.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

I've been using Terra Nova tents in Scotland and elsewhere in the world for 25 years or so on a regular basis. And let's face it, there's no way they've all been dry camping trips.
Both of them you pitch the inner first.
Never been an issue you just have to make sure you're familiar enough in getting the inner up quick enough and the outer on in suitable time.
The fine tuning can be done once the tents weather proof.

I have a couple of inner first tents (Terra Nova and Lightwave) and once up are a sturdier, roomier and less flappy tent.
People that have never owned one bang on about pitching in the rain, which is a bit of a none issue really.
The real issue is getting that slippery old silicone coated fly sheet on in heavy wind.

Positives on inner first are better strength and stability, none flappy inner. Ability to split the tent carrying between 2 people, and the ability to seperate a soaked fly sheet from the inner when packing away.

Once pitched, an inner first would be my first choice ..... once pitched!

I’ve pitched my Terra Nova tent (inner first) in heavy rain and it takes a couple of minutes at the most to mop out any rain that gets inside then you benefit from the better living space once the tent is erected.

It’s usually the same people wherever you go who say tents that pitch inner first are useless in the rain as say you shouldn’t cook inside your tent. Those statements are only true if you’re inept.

I’ve pitched my Terra Nova tent (inner first) in heavy rain and it takes a couple of minutes at the most to mop out any rain that gets inside then you benefit from the better living space once the tent is erected.

It’s usually the same people wherever you go who say tents that pitch inner first are useless in the rain as say you shouldn’t cook inside your tent. Those statements are only true if you’re inept.

Agreed. It's just a matter of being slick putting them up, not messing around. To remove inner first tents from your list of decent tents is to miss out on good kit.

Agreed. It's just a matter of being slick putting them up, not messing around. To remove inner first tents from your list of decent tents is to miss out on good kit.

Also one big advantage of pitching inner tent first is if they do get wet there's no faffing around to unclip the inner to dry it.

It's personal taste and for me often pitching a tent every night for weeks at a time, simple is better. :)

I've used my Quasar a lot of times without the flysheet and the doors half way down when it's been hot and I've also put the inner tent up on its own in a bus shelter in Germany when I couldn't find anywhere else to camp but didn't fancy sleeping on the concrete floor like a tramp :D

The bus shelter was actually a handy place to stop, it was a Saturday night and even my limited knowledge of German led me to know there were no scheduled stops until 10am the next day so I put the bike behind the shelter, used the seats as a table to cook my dinner on then when it was getting dark I bunged the tent up and sat in a corner of the shelter with my feet up necking a couple of cans of beer until I felt like going to sleep. I've certainly camped in a lot worse places.

Thanks everyone really appreciate the replies just revisiting this now I've had a change of bike to the Himalayan an can ride again with it being more manageable for my shoulder than the weight of my gs1200 I was struggling with.

Looking mainly at Scotland and ignoring the Hillebergs and thinking lighter weight but small pack size and keeping the wee beasties out what would we all be looking at?

Thinking free standing but looking at inner pitch first tents to.

Seen the msr access 2 mentioned in a few reviews.

Hopefully should be getting something in the next couple of weeks or so and going up for an explore as I'm Hopefully moving up to Dumfries and Galloway or Argyll an Bute.

Planning on a trip up to the Nordkapp and maybe Morocco so understand kit will maybe change for those but Scotland is the current priority.

Thanks in advance

I have a Terra Nova Voyager bought 22 years ago to go to Norway, been used in Iceland, Marocco, Alps and other European spots as well as lots of winter camping in Dales and Lakes.

It’s a two man tent but in reality one man with bike kit. It is getting a bit tired now, hence me buying a Roben green cone last year, which I now have up for sale. I camped with the Roben next to a guy and his missus with a voyager and I was miffed I had bought the Robens, pitching the Terra Nova is a two minute job, it is really robust, strong in rain, wind and snow, I think it’s only drawback is that it does not have a door either side which the Terra Nova Quaser does have and would therefore buy one of those if I was to replace.

I’m on my second Quasar and opted for the extended porch this time which makes it a lot more user friendly when putting bike kit out of the way. If you decide to buy another Quasar you’re welcome to borrow mine and see if you think the extended porch is worth the extra cash to you.

Back
Top Bottom