MOD 1 and 2 passed, bought an F800GS.

ScubaSmurf

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Evening folks, newbie here - Hi, my name is Jacob.

MOD 1 and 2 passed on Friday and first big bike picked up on the weekend, a remarkably clean '09 F800GS that is a nice step up from my Mutt 125cc London runaround. Fortunately the nice weather made the 500 mile round trip tolerable and the ride back was as fun as you can imagine.

Not my first time in the GS world, as a youngster was pillion on my Dad's bike (ex-member here: "Dave The Driver") for a number of trips and many of the Newlands Corner/Boxhill weekend runs with the infamous Captain GSA.

Recently relocated to the Surrey Hills, south west of Guildford and will be doing the odd commute up to the City on the bike.

Looking forward to the wealth of knowledge that will be on hand when I inevitably break something :beerjug:

Welcome! Puttenham is a nice part of the world. I rode through there on Sunday. In the rain.

F800GS are great bikes, head bearings were a weak point, but otherwise fantastic.

Welcome to this chaotic forum

I'm in Camberley and we do regular green lane runs passing through Puttenham to Punchbowl if that's your fancy? We are on Enduro bikes, but as long as you have off-road tyres you should be fine...

Mutt Mongrel in our house too, btw.

Sent from my CPN-W09 using Tapatalk

Hello Jacobs,
Welcome - :beerjug: I got your PM and answered ... how lovely to hear from you - one of the original 'Sons of Panos (Captain GSA) - actually, technically you were the one and only 'Grandson of Panos' ...
I have very fond memories of you and your dad, "Premature Dave" - more of that in a moment (Dave the driver) who skilfully piloted his GS with you on the bike on our many outings and meetings starting many times at Newlands going on dozens of 'Captain GSA' runs, day trips, Midlands BBQ and the famous Boxhill 'Captains Ring' - oh what fond memories are flooding back.
We actually and officially managed to convince Paul G (BHT), GOD of this parish to change your dad's name from 'Dave the Driver' to 'Premature Dave' after he turned up on one of my organised trips a week too early :blast - so Prem as he was affectionally known by a few of us was born. :rolleyes:
Thank you for the name drop in your first post :bow - although not so much infamous ... :nenau
ScubaSmurf, - rubber side down - your dad was a bit of an animal on his bike with you on the back, I once remember on an offroad trip with you on the back that your dad's topbox detached from his GS and overtook you - almost child abuse! -
You take it easy and learn and develop your road-craft and riding skills slowly ... :rob
Ride Safe
Captain GSA ... :thumb2

Greetings & welcome to the forum; congratulations on passing & enjoy your new to you bike....:thumby:

Thanks for the warm welcome folks.

ScruffyDroid, maybe in a few months once I've worked everything out - though I'll be sure to give you a wave if I see you passing through the village.

Panos (maybe I should be calling you Grandpa GSA ;) ), thanks again. Fond memories of many of those trips obviously flavoured my choice of motorbike. And yes, the "top box incident" still makes me smile to this day - two up, off road, something was bound to go wrong.

Back
Top Bottom