Fuel Gauge vs Computer....

BillyBoxer6

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Interesting behavior from my 2010 TC Fuel Strip at the minute....

When I stopped for Fuel this Afternoon I'd covered 257.5 Miles.
I filled the Tank to the Brim with 22.89lts.
That worked out at approx. 51mpg.
The Computer was telling me I'd averaged approx. 52mpg, (which wasn't a million miles out for a Fuel Computer IMO).
However, the Gauge was still up around Half Full and the Range was predicting around 280 more miles.
Obviously the Average MPG and Range Sections of the Computer aren't talking to each other at all - are they supposed to? :nenau
Anyway, the Upside is that I can safely leave it til around 300 miles before I Refuel, with a Maximum Range of around 370 miles (if I want to risk walking home).....

it depends on how the range and average MPG work. It may be the range is based on your riding recorded in the last 20 miles, but your MPG is calculate on the last 50 miles of riding. That would cause the disconnect you're seeing.

My 5 series car is the same. MPG for the last 20 miles is 33MPG, however the range is 200 miles - but i know by the gauge there is only about 4 gallons left in the tank, which realistically is a range of 140ish miles.

it depends on how the range and average MPG work. It may be the range is based on your riding recorded in the last 20 miles, but your MPG is calculate on the last 50 miles of riding. That would cause the disconnect you're seeing.

My 5 series car is the same. MPG for the last 20 miles is 33MPG, however the range is 200 miles - but i know by the gauge there is only about 4 gallons left in the tank, which realistically is a range of 140ish miles.

Yes but the Range would appear to tally with the Gauge in my case...

It would depend on how accurate your gauge is. Is the half way an accurate measurement of half the qty remains, or simply the level on gauge is at the half way point. By which i mean the tank is not a uniform shape and the representative blocks on the gauge won't have an equal volume attached to them.

On my R1200GS LC i can ride 170 miles on about 5 blocks, and fill up with circa 15 litres. The remaining 3 blocks (i think there's 8 in total) don't represent 9 litres (based off the 5 x 3L of used qty) as the tank is only 20 litres.....

It would depend on how accurate your gauge is. Is the half way an accurate measurement of half the qty remains, or simply the level on gauge is at the half way point. By which i mean the tank is not a uniform shape and the representative blocks on the gauge won't have an equal volume attached to them.

On my R1200GS LC i can ride 170 miles on about 5 blocks, and fill up with circa 15 litres. The remaining 3 blocks (i think there's 8 in total) don't represent 9 litres (based off the 5 x 3L of used qty) as the tank is only 20 litres.....

I don't know.
I do know that the Strip Gauge on my 07 was very accurate and seemed to tally well with the Range and Mileage Traveled.
I think this one is probably heading for the "Off".
As long as I know when to Refuel, what the Max Range is and there are no irritating Warning Lights on the Dash, I'll put up with it as long as possible.

GSA 33 litre tank
GS 20 litre tank

not sure how you get 267 range 20 litre bikes seem to stop at 227 miles (i thought ???)
on mine with no strip connected
Ave speed works (I guess off ABS signals)
Ave fuel consumption works (I guess from maths around injector pulse / duration)
Ranges counts up as level not moving to its max poss and stops (max 227 if I remember)

GSA 33 litre tank
GS 20 litre tank

not sure how you get 267 range 20 litre bikes seem to stop at 227 miles (i thought ???)
I didn't mention a 267 miles Range, and I didn't say it was a GS.
It's the Adventure Model with the 33lt Tank and all of the Information I provided in the First Post is wholly accurate.
Is there a particular reason why you're questioning the veracity of my Figures? :nenau

I didn't mention a 267 miles Range, and I didn't say it was a GS.
It's the Adventure Model with the 33lt Tank and all of the Information I provided in the First Post is wholly accurate.
Is there a particular reason why you're questioning the veracity of my Figures? :nenau

You know your first post says nothing about it being a GSA.....

I only assumed it was one due to the fuel level/gauge you when talking about remaining range & fill up qty.

You know your first post says nothing about it being a GSA.....

I only assumed it was one due to the fuel level/gauge you when talking about remaining range & fill up qty.
Yes I realised that when I read the previous Reply, but it was too late to Edit it.
However, it said nothing about it being a GS either.
Despite my obvious F/U, you figured it out though….

I filled up last night and my projected range came up at 401 miles when it reset.
I have seen as much as 500ish in the past when touring in Europe. I even got 467 miles from a tankful once. I've also had as little as 280 on fast constant motorway in Germany. Part of the reason you need a good fuel guage on the GSA.
Try resetting all the parameters using the button to croll through and see how it pans out over the next few weeks

I filled up last night and my projected range came up at 401 miles when it reset.
I have seen as much as 500ish in the past when touring in Europe. I even got 467 miles from a tankful once. I've also had as little as 280 on fast constant motorway in Germany. Part of the reason you need a good fuel guage on the GSA.
Try resetting all the parameters using the button to croll through and see how it pans out over the next few weeks

I Reset the Average MPG and the Trip Counter at each Fill Gazza, is there anything else to to that might have a bearing on the Accuracy?

I Reset the Average MPG and the Trip Counter at each Fill Gazza, is there anything else to to that might have a bearing on the Accuracy?

Maybe you need to leave it alone for a while then, then the avarage will be calculated over a longer period instead.

Maybe you need to leave it alone for a while then, then the avarage will be calculated over a longer period instead.

The Average MPG is correct and tallies with the amount of Fuel that goes in the Tank.
It's the Predicted Range and the Accuracy of the Gauge that's in question, it's way off the mark.

The Average MPG is correct and tallies with the amount of Fuel that goes in the Tank.
It's the Predicted Range and the Accuracy of the Gauge that's in question, it's way off the mark.

Ah, with you.
It is a bit strange.
Mine last night said I had 27 miles left and I put in 32.4 litres which on mine is about right this time. Last time it said I had 15 miles left and I only fitted in 30 litres. It varies a lot.

Interesting behavior from my 2010 TC Fuel Strip at the minute....

and

Is there a particular reason why you're questioning the veracity of my Figures?

how about this bit you don't have a 2010 TC you have a GSA for starters...

Ah, with you.
It is a bit strange.
Mine last night said I had 27 miles left and I put in 32.4 litres which on mine is about right this time. Last time it said I had 15 miles left and I only fitted in 30 litres. It varies a lot.

Still a fair bit closer than Predicting 280 Miles Range with space for 22.89lts though....:D

Still a fair bit closer than Predicting 280 Miles Range with space for 22.89lts though....:D

Tbf mine around mid tank usage is a bit all over the place too. Then it gets better as the level gets lower again. It's mostly been like that on all my fuel strips. And I've had plenty of them.

Back
Top Bottom