Final drive pivot bearings

ashtonj

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a quick question on installing a new needle bearing on the final drive pivot.

How far in does the bearing need to go? Is it flush with the final drive or recessed and if so how far.

Many thanks

If you mean bearing marked at #2 it just needs to go flush with the casing.

B0003402.png

Many thanks. I should have included some more details. It is 2011 R1200RT and the final drive is the one that has the vent. On the inside pivot bearing (closest to the wheel) there is the needle bearing. There is no stop in the casing but I have put it in as far as it will go and it is flush with the outside casing. Just seeing if this is as far as it should go, or more recessed.

Thanks,

Many thanks. I should have included some more details. It is 2011 R1200RT and the final drive is the one that has the vent. On the inside pivot bearing (closest to the wheel) there is the needle bearing. There is no stop in the casing but I have put it in as far as it will go and it is flush with the outside casing. Just seeing if this is as far as it should go, or more recessed.

Thanks,

The slide show is wrong for your bike, sorry I haven't figured out how to import pictures. The needle bearing you're talking about is pushed in from the wheel side, I had to check myself now you mentioned it, thankfully I have two drives in my kitchen. There doesn't seem to be a stop for it, but it is a tight fit.

Attachments

• IMG_0333.jpg
    IMG_0333.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 159
Many thanks, that picture is perfect. I can see it is recessed which makes sense, this allows for a gap on the outside for the rubber washer and it is more flush on the inside. One thing I can not see in the picture is the needle bearing has a rubber seal incorporated into it, is that facing outwards or inwards?

The pivot bush that goes thru the needle roller (2) has a small recess at the top for the rubber 'dust' seal (18) at least that's how I view it on realOEM, you mount the seal on the outside of that bush. I think I'm improving with importing things now.

Attachments

• Final Drive.jpg
    Final Drive.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 145

Back
Top Bottom