DATATOOL

Edmund Kean

Reaction score
As I don’t feel like paying approximately £100 for renewal I was wondering if the hardware can cause problems if I don’t renew. Anyone else done this?

Removed my hardware as something was draining the battery. This thing has to get power from somewhere.

Removed my hardware as something was draining the battery. This thing has to get power from somewhere.

This. Head tech at BMW Battersea told me that there is a battery within the tracker assembly that can go bad and constantly draw power from the bikes battery.

Get it disconnected. I stopped my subscription and the device would deplete the battery in under a week (was fine whilst the subscription was active though). Now it’s disconnected I can leave the bike for much longer and have faith it’ll fire up!

Interesting. I am part exing my GSA next week for a Tiger 900. I will mention it to the triumph dealer as my subs run out two days after the sale.

i am in the same situation,were is the tracker so i can disconect it,its not next to the battery

This. Head tech at BMW Battersea told me that there is a battery within the tracker assembly that can go bad and constantly draw power from the bikes battery.

That is what I see too. The power comes from the bike. It is either directly from the bike or from the internal battery which is charged from the bike.
I would suspect that the internal battery is there so that the tracker still works for a period if the main bike battery is disconnected, but will run from the main battery at all other times.

That is what I see too. The power comes from the bike. It is either directly from the bike or from the internal battery which is charged from the bike.
I would suspect that the internal battery is there so that the tracker still works for a period if the main bike battery is disconnected, but will run from the main battery at all other times.

This is what happens with the Bike Trac, until the internal battery drops to a set level and will then top up from the bike's battery. Hence the need for a permanent live connection, I suspect the DATATOOL is the same.

Mine was still transmitting (with a low battery message) two months after it had been disconnected.

I’ve got this issue too. When I viewed the bike prior to purchase the battery was completely flat in the showroom. Needed a new battery at 14months old, because it had been completely flattened.
I’ve decided to get rid because of the renewal costs and not really needing it but I’d informed Bennetts prior to picking it up that it had Datatool Stealth 5 fitted, so rang them today to make the amendment, no change in premium.
Can it be removed, or at least disconnected from power DIY or do I need to involve a dealer?
Where is it and what does it look like?
It’s somewhere on my 21 year R1250GS.

i have not looked as yet but a dealer just told me its under the rear plastic wheel arch trim ,easyest way to get at it is to drop the plastic trim from underneath (he said)

Sorry to be a party pooper chaps, but do you think it's a good idea to disclose the location of the Tracker installation on a public forum ?

Sorry to be a party pooper chaps, but do you think it's a good idea to disclose the location of the Tracker installation on a public forum ?

I expect it’s always fitted in the same place and provisional criminal’s know where it is and what to do about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

er a fair point i had not thought of that,moderators please feel free to delete my post

er a fair point i had not thought of that,moderators please feel free to delete my post

its behind the plastic near to the rear brake, take off the rear rack plastics and its there.

Its not a secret on the web.

for those that need to know ,this what it looks like,mine now removed

Attachments

• 20220522_114734[1].jpg
    20220522_114734[1].jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 389
for those that need to know ,this what it looks like,mine now removed

Thanks for that. I think I need to replace the battery in mine, does it look like it's easy to get to it please?

Back
Top Bottom