Take your awesome steeds in and out of the EU in a van, on a trailer or just by pushing it….

Wapping

Reaction score
Take your awesome steeds in and out of the EU in a van, on a trailer or just by pushing it….

FEMA (along with other bodies) and the EU have resolved the problem.

Here’s the agreement and confirmation:

6fb42d6cdbfd08092f6b34547e9ad7af.png

5213dd2798d232dbfe431c187ef0aac0.png

I just saw that. It would be good to get some clarification, since as far as I'm aware people have been able to ride their bikes to the EU freely, and also to take bikes in a van, as long as the owner is travelling with the bike.

The issue, and the problem for the bike shippers in particular, has been taking someone else's bike into the EU. That letter is a bit vague on that front.

So this is just for holiday trips and such like?

I have a potential buyer for a Triumph Scrambler I'm selling, but he's in France.
I'm just wondering what kinds of import duty and/or VAT he'll get hit with when he tries to import it into France - might put him off altogether.

I just saw that. It would be good to get some clarification, since as far as I'm aware people have been able to ride their bikes to the EU freely, and also to take bikes in a van, as long as the owner is travelling with the bike.

The issue, and the problem for the bike shippers in particular, has been taking someone else's bike into the EU. That letter is a bit vague on that front.

I guess you’d have to read the details contained in the hot links Mr Fuehring has provided. I can’t be arsed, as I would only be dealing with my vehicle.

My understanding us that any permanent import to the EU will be subject to Import Duty and VAT.

Prior to Brexit, you could do it without Duty or VAT as part of your Goods and Chattels if you were, for example, relocating.

I guess you’d have to read the details contained in the hot links Mr Fuehring has provided. I can’t be arsed, as I would only be dealing with my vehicle.

I have, it’s incomprehensible EU speak, but as far as I can see a motor vehicle from the UK isn’t goods anymore, it’s a motorcycle and can be taken into the EU as long as it’s going to be brought back to the UK. Same applies to boats and cars and aeroplanes.

No mention is made of how the motorcycle gets there or gets back, so I’m now of the belief we are back to where we were before Brexit.

I have a potential buyer for a Triumph Scrambler I'm selling, but he's in France.
I'm just wondering what kinds of import duty and/or VAT he'll get hit with when he tries to import it into France - might put him off altogether.

He'll be in a similar situation to you if you were importing from the USA.

I have, it’s incomprehensible EU speak, but as far as I can see a motor vehicle from the UK isn’t goods anymore, it’s a motorcycle and can be taken into the EU as long as it’s going to be brought back to the UK. Same applies to boats and cars and aeroplanes.

No mention is made of how the motorcycle gets there or gets back, so I’m now of the belief we are back to where we were before Brexit.

That’s my understanding of it.

‘Import’ it temporarily, say for a holiday, a race meeting or for the duration of your six month stay and there’s no tax or changes to pay.

Sell it or be unable to prove to the customs officials that you are not just bringing the bike(s) in to flog and you’ll cop a tax or worse.

That was my interpretation but it appears I was wrong.
I asked Eurobiketrans and they confirmed that they cannot offer a bike shipping service anymore due to customs and tax regulations. So not quite back to sanity after all.

That might be due to nothing more than Eurobiketrans not wanting to do it any more? Or maybe thy don’t know of / understand the changes?

That being said, maybe the changes only apply to a bod, his van and his bike and / or a bod, his van, his bike and his mates’ bikes, and not to a commercial enterprise, lugging umpteen bikes in a lorry, who might we’ll need to do some paperwork.

Either way, you can thank the Pro-Brexit voters for the inconvenience it causes. It’s a little known benefit of us leaving the EU.

That was my interpretation but it appears I was wrong.
I asked Eurobiketrans and they confirmed that they cannot offer a bike shipping service anymore due to customs and tax regulations. So not quite back to sanity after all.

And yet Torque Racing managed to get 15 bikes over to Greece and back for the Hellas rally, as did Desert Rose. They had more paperwork to do, true, but they did it.

The Euroteans chap, possibly, is a remainer who would rather close his business and moan on about Brexit than find a way to carry on.

In any case, for private individuals it seems sorted, French customs peered into our van on the way back, said “huh! Motos” and waved us through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently started planning a trip into Europe for my group of 4 later this year and been looking into where is best. We are all short of time so we decided to look at how we can get our bikes there and back.

Moving Motorcycles - www.movingmotorcycles.co.uk seem to have a bike transport solution for most places in Europe. So far they've given me good pricing for Spain, Slovenia and Norway.

Now we've just all got to agree on where we are going :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom