City Navigator Europe 2023.1 - Only North Downloading

stirtloe

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...tes-creating-straight-lines-in-my-Nav-V/page3

Having searched a number of threads including the above I am requesting help advice as to what I am doing wrong: I had
City Navigator Europe NTU 2022.2 installed on both my Mac and Nav VI. For my forthcoming trip to France, Spain I had followed Wapping's advice and ensured the routes plotted on basecamp had transferred correctly to the GPS. I also checked that I was able to zoom in to towns both in the UK (North) and France (South).

Garmin Express then notified me that an update was available (2023.1) which I installed on both Mac and GPS. On the Mac I can get the detailed mapping for both UK and French cities however the GPS only has City Navigator North installed. I have tried to add regions through Mapinstal but still get the same problem. I have removed the (32gb) SD Card reformatted it, installed the map on the GPS and reset it and still no joy.

Garmin updated Garmin Express yesterday, I assume that was causing a problem. It took me 4 or 5 attempts to get the update onto my Zumo XT using Windows. Latest Garmin Express software is 7:13:1:0.

Same thing, Northern Europe only on NAV V. Only difference was I discovered the issue while on the ferry to Spain!

Check your installed maps folks!

This maybe looks like a repeat of a problem from a couple of years ago, where the software only loaded the northern set of maps.

Always check the device:

A. After any software update.

B. After any map update.

C. When installing any route(s).

D. Before going away on holiday.

E. Before going away on holiday…… again!

It might seem tedious but it really doesn’t take long from the comfort of home. It’ll take you a lot longer (or just leave you holding a plastic box of widgets) when you roll off the ferry, maybe several hundred miles from home.

This update is a balls up. My Zumo 390 now has Central Europe only. I was warned of not enough space on the device so offered 2 choices. Fit a 3GB SD card or select a region that would fit on the internal storage. I chose the latter, selecting Western Europe which includes the EU plus UK. Garmin Express ignored this and put Central Europe on, which has Germany and further east.

I have been thinking of upgrading to an XT for some time as the 390 is getting a bit leggy. I almost pressed the button when there was a batch under £300. Currently £349 with a tenner off if I join Halfords "club". Stuck one in a virtual shopping basket. Let's see if they offer a discount code if it sits there for a while...

Basecamp & old versions of maps to the rescue. Seems there is a good chunk of internal memory available on the Zumo 390. I have just installed part of 2022.20 back onto the device so I have 2023.10 for Central & East Europe and 2022.20 for Spain, France & UK. Basecamp lets you select which map tiles to add.

Basecamp & old versions of maps to the rescue. Seems there is a good chunk of internal memory available on the Zumo 390. I have just installed part of 2022.20 back onto the device so I have 2023.10 for Central & East Europe and 2022.20 for Spain, France & UK. Basecamp lets you select which map tiles to add.

Wessie, I assume this is only possible if you have old versions of the maps held on your home computer?

I have been thinking of upgrading to an XT for some time as the 390 is getting a bit leggy…..

For what it’s worth, I have just updated the full map set on my XT, using the wireless function. The full set of maps has installed properly. I’ll get around to my Nav V at some point.

Wessie, I assume this is only possible if you have old versions of the maps held on your home computer?

For what it’s worth, I have just updated the full map set on my XT, using the wireless function. The full set of maps has installed properly. I’ll get around to my Nav V at some point.

Yes, you need old versions of maps. I tend to have the current version and the previous version of Garmin maps on the big lump of spinning rust on the Lenovo laptop I use for everyday personal computing at home. It has a nice big screen for looking at maps. A USB connection is the only way to get maps on the old Zumo 390. I only tend to use Basecamp for it's archiving ability for old routes and POI. I use other tools to plot routes and get them into the Zumo.

Thank you, I thought as much. I have got into a habit of deleting old maps from BaseCamp but I might well go back to keeping the previous oldest version, as a standby rescue.

Back
Top Bottom