Base/Mid-layers: Merino vs Outlast

LankyRider

Reaction score
I’ve been thinking of splurging on some decent base/mid layers and am looking at merino wool vs Outlast.
Used for UK/European riding only.

Everyone says the merino stuff is great, and the Outlast stuff is supposed to regulate temperature, as in cool you down when you get hot, heat you up again when you get cold.

I’ve never tried Outlast, but whenever I feel it in a shop it feels like I would just be cooking in it.

Anyone on here tried Outlast mid layers?

Any opinions on which is the best or most flexible? Are they worth it?

Cheers,

Charlie

I've used Merino and the EDZ all climate (not outlast) stuff. Merino works best in Spain. Much less likely to get a heat rash with Merino as it resists the build up of the bugs you get in synthetics. The Merino stuff from Mountain Warehouse is good value.

Have a look at pro skins. Been using their base layers for a few years really good. BSB were using their kit as well. I use Marino for winter though

Merino.

Not cheap but, if you look after it, it will last many years.

M&S merino jumpers are pretty reasonable, nice and thin material and do the job for me under my warm n safe.

Otherwise Decathlon merino tops are £25

Merino from mountain warehouse are good and reasonably priced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy cheap = buy twice

If you want merino spend the money and buy the Icebreaker stuff - various weights from very thin and cool to quite thick and toasty

Yes its expensive but looked after lasts many many years and IMO is just the best having tried cheaper options

Buy cheap = buy twice

If you want merino spend the money and buy the Icebreaker stuff - various weights from very thin and cool to quite thick and toasty

Yes its expensive but looked after lasts many many years and IMO is just the best having tried cheaper options

My Decathlon kit is in its 5th year …

Buy cheap = buy twice

What he said.

Just remember to keep some moth killer in your wardrobe/drawer - they love merino :blast

I thought moths had attacked my merino leggings. Then wondered why it was only the knee. It seems Velcro also loves merino and will unpick the thread. Make sure you align those knee & hip armour closures properly...

+1 for Ice breaker, I use their Merino leggings all year round, and the long sleeve tops in Winter.
My only problem with Merino wool is my legs don't like the lanolin in them and they start to itch such that I scratch them until they bleed. Using a cream to stop the itching helps.

A couple = 2
Several = 3
Many = 5 or more

And I was wrong, it’s in its sixth year. How tempus fugit.

A mere baby. I think much of my Icebreaker clothing is at least 15 years old, probably more. And let’s not forget, the pants I sold, which are hopefully still going strong somewhere.

I’ve been thinking of splurging on some decent base/mid layers and am looking at merino wool vs Outlast.
Used for UK/European riding only.

Everyone says the merino stuff is great, and the Outlast stuff is supposed to regulate temperature, as in cool you down when you get hot, heat you up again when you get cold.

I’ve never tried Outlast, but whenever I feel it in a shop it feels like I would just be cooking in it.

Anyone on here tried Outlast mid layers?

Any opinions on which is the best or most flexible? Are they worth it?

Cheers,

Charlie
I would definitely recommend merino, preferably Icebreaker. Had several goes at Outlast and consistently miss the point re temp regulation. Must be my aging circulation.

Merino vs outlast

I have some Merino base layers and a new Halvarsson's jacket with Outlast in it.
I found that the outlast seemed to be good on the colder days, but I was on the bike today and shortly after I got off and started walking around I was sweating loads, then, I am a bit overweight and have always sweated a lot, so for me, jury's out.
However, I'm going on a 3 week jaunt around Spain soon and will take both merino and outlast and will be testing them in the predictable 35+ degree heat out there and will report back (we return 7th July).
I mentally rally against putting on a wool layer in heat, but I think what you chaps are saying is that is the way to go?

I mentally rally against putting on a wool layer in heat, but I think what you chaps are saying is that is the way to go?

Sheep have a thin layer of wool on them thru summer....they seem OK...
Joking aside, I always wear a short sleeved merino t shirt when on the bike (Smartwool, similar quality to Icebreaker), if it's 35c you'll be warm whatever you wear but with man made fabric you'll also pong a bit after a day of sweating and need to wash the garment....with merino the likelihood is that you could wear it again the next day and not stink to high heaven.

Back
Top Bottom