Hexhead Twin Cam non-starter .... diagnosing help needed please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodie13

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All,
My buddy, who lives in Hailsham, East Sussex, needs help diagnosing a non-starting Twin Cam. His usual mechanic is 25 miles away, and has suggested a fuel controller fault? Has anyone fairly local to Paul got a GS-911 he could borrow to establish the problem? He’s willing to pay something towards the favour. The bike has been running without fault, but went to the bikers pub evening this Wednesday and when he came out of the pub after a meal, it wasn’t having any of it! Not even a splutter! :thumb2. Thanks

PS. Since writing this post the bike has fired up! Paul would still appreciate some local forum member to help with possible fault-finding though....:okay

GS 911 won't show the Fuel controller as faulty as they have no fuel pressure monitor or even anything to confirm the pump is running

If it fails again He can try a jumper cable to bypass the pump and to run the fuel pump constantly

Also if he lifts the controller out of the pocket it sits in, he may find water in there

That is what usually kills them

Updated ones were Black coated and I think a Turquoise Blue sealing ring

I always coated the seal with some decent silicone grease to help prevent any further water intrusion

I agree there is no feed back regarding fuel pressure but a GS911 can see a faulty fuel pump controller.
I.e Code 10168 Fuel pump system faulty, code 10167 output stage to fuel pump fault.
The ops bike is a twin cam so should be the later improved black fuel pump controller which were mounted at an angle to avoid the ingress of water.
There is no mention of the mileage that the bike has done.
As the Dr says borrow a by pass cable, or Pull an injector to see if it is fuel.

GS 911 won't show the Fuel controller as faulty as they have no fuel pressure monitor or even anything to confirm the pump is running
As stated in the post previous to mine. It will show a fuel pump controller fault.

Thanks all. Brief update, Paul managed to start the bike up earlier as I mentioned, butbhas told me that when he went to restart it an hour or so later, it would fire at all again?! Red warning triangle also appeared.... only 40k miles and well cared for......Any clues with that extra info?.......

As I said earlier pull an injector crank the bike over and check there is fuel.
First thing I would check if I did not have a GS911 would be to see if it was spark or fuel and on these motors I find it easiest to check there is fuel first.

Thanks

As I said earlier pull an injector crank the bike over and check there is fuel.
First thing I would check if I did not have a GS911 would be to see if it was spark or fuel and on these motors I find it easiest to check there is fuel first.

Ok, many thanks. I’ll pass the info on gratefully :thumb2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom