Ideas for motorcycle jaunts and hotels South Tyrol - Dolomites - Trentino

Wapping

Reaction score
I tripped over this by chance.

https://www.kurveneldorado.com/motorradregion-suedtirol-dolomiten-trentino

Here is a sample, using the website’s 14 DOLOMITE PASSES MOTORCYCLE TOUR

de4b721bec54cd3a7cc358c1dbeb331d.png

The pdf and GPX files both download well.

1feeaabb4bc91c1a82d7bef0f5db44c8.png

e93bce3b76b92ae533763d40bdebe9bd.png

It is worth just tapping around in the website to see what else comes up.

I have done a few similar routes myself, here is one I have as 10 passes (but I sometime miss some minor little pass when planning so it could possibly have another 1 or 2.

https://www.myrouteapp.com/route/open/217708

We tend to find this is a nice day with stops, and about 5 hours riding, the highlighted route with 14 is a fair bit longer and I would of thought closer to six hours than the quoted five, most Dolomite passes are very twisty (even by Alps standards) and some can have a fair bit of other tourist traffic to slow you down, and ever decreasing speed limits! so I would say few folk will average much above 30mph.

A mate of mine clocked up 22 or 23 a few years back, but he has been there so many times (and lived that way there for a few years) so would just ride all day on his own with just a few short stops, whereas we stop for photos, coffee, lunch, more coffee so this would be a 8:00 - 15:00 / 15:30 day for us (early start / finish as it gets bloody hot and humid in the afternoons in our experience, often accompanied by Thunderstorms)

Thanks, Rasher.

I agree that the time estimates are very variable, depending on individual preferences. I guess the best way is for bods to look at the total distance and (based on their own experience / abilities) work out their own timings. The only reasonably reliable truth I find is a rule of thumb that says: “An hour lost in the morning, becomes two hours in the afternoon”.

For about a decade now I have just reset the bike trip / sat nav on trips which gives me a great idea of my / our pace.

In the UK I can do a day out on a mix of mainly B and unclassified roads and always average over 40mph with the Mrs or a mate or two, sometimes closer to 50 solo if I am on a mission to get from A-B....

...A day in the Alps and it is always in the 30-35mph range, so I always work on 30 and between 5 and 7 hours riding = 150 - 210 miles in a day without it turning into a rush, with a group of 4 or 5 bikes I would stick to the lower end as you will stop a lot more and for a lot longer.

Two-Up also makes a difference, when the Mrs started touring on her own bike we found we could go a lot longer between stops as we both had more space and the ability to shuffle about a lot more.

I also allow 15 mins per hour for a stop in nice areas, heading out I can ride 2 hours to the tunnel in one hit, then 2 hours on French Motorways the other side, but once in the nice areas your likely to stop a lot more, and in a group there will always be a guy who cannot last more than an hour, or a bike that only holds a thimble full of fuel and needs to stop every hour on the motorway.

Back
Top Bottom