Recommissioning an early Evo in Hampshire

The Other PaulG

Still searching
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A mate I was chatting to over the weekend has an Evo special which has been unridden for a few years and will need a full recommissioning.

Please, is anyone aware of a good independent in Hampshire who could do this? He's located between Petersfield and Winchester. My mate's not ready to do it imminently, just looking for suggestions now so he can get an idea of what the possibilities might be.

Here's a pic of the bike in its former glory - it has been sitting for a while now.

Attachments

• GT evo.jpeg
    GT evo.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 279
I bought an old Evo two years ago that had done about 500 miles in 10 years so lots of work required to bring it back up to scratch.

I may have been unlucky but here is a list of the work done so far.

Inner and out Primary drive seals and gaskets replaced
New engine base and head gaskets
New rocker box gaskets
New Gearbox return pin
New and upgraded stator
New starter motor
New drive belt
New battery
New tires
Full replacement of all fluids
Carb refresh
Replacement of some fuel lines

Most of the work was done by Nick at V Twin Customs in Rye Sussex although I now use an Indy (El Lobo) in Copford near Ipswich which is nearer to where I live.

I’ve spent close to £2500 on the bike over the last two years but it’s been worth it…. I think :D

Try a PM to Twizzle; he is almost in Hampshire and has spoken of a local independent.

It’s the lack of regular use Paul.

Similar age bikes that have been used on a regular basis probably won’t have had half these issues.

It’s the lack of regular use Paul.

Similar age bikes that have been used on a regular basis probably won’t have had half these issues.

I strongly suspect that this bike WILL have those issues, then!

Thank you Twizz and Donkey, I have passed your info on to the owner and it'll now be up to him to decide what to do.

When I asked him what it was like when it was last running, all he said was 'horrendously loud'!

Cheers,

Paul

Back
Top Bottom