Tyre time 1290 SAS.

daviedevs

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Time has come to change the tyres on my 2019 1290 SAS. 4600 miles and the rear is squared off.

It currently has the original Pirelli Scorpion Trails on,,which I find to be a tad hard.

Im looking for road touring tyres and I always liked the Pilot Road tyres in the past on other bikes. Has anyone used these on their 1290?

Opinions please.

Thanks

I had 2 sets of Conti TA2s on my 1190Adv and had 6500 miles out of the rears and I don't hang around. Had the newer TA3'S on when I sold the bike and if anything they were even better.
The 790Adv I replaced it with had Scorpion II's and they didn't feel as secure as the Contis

I had 2 sets of Conti TA2s on my 1190Adv and had 6500 miles out of the rears and I don't hang around. Had the newer TA3'S on when I sold the bike and if anything they were even better.
The 790Adv I replaced it with had Scorpion II's and they didn't feel as secure as the Contis

Cheers. I assume TA = Trail Attack?

I would prefer something 100% road based.

They also do a Road Attack III which I've got ready to fit on my 790 Duke, as the Trail Attacks were so good, better, in fact, than the Michelin Pilot Road 5's I had on my Tiger 800.
Touched the pegs down on both bikes but the Contis felt more secure on shitty road surfaces.

I'm on my second pair of Road 5 Trails. Totally transformed the bike, excellent tyres.

You can get the Road 6s now which I'm sure are as good or better.

I hated Road 5's on my 1290, grip was OK but the front feels as if it has a sharp drop off when leaning over and it gave me a horrible feeling of impending doom, could of also been where it goes from treaded to slick. Either way I hated it as it felt sketchy then OK again, gave me little confidence as when on twisty roads it was "Oh Shit, I am about to crash, oh, maybe not" on every bend.

Had them on a CB500X commuter, think they were a bit nicer on that, maybe 17" front not as bad.

Replaced them with Conti Road Attack 3's and found them awesome, a lot more feel and feedback, no more feeling of impending doom at higher lean angles, work well in the wet and on cold days.

Heard others not liking Road 5's, seem a bit marmite in that people love or hate them, never heard anyone not happy with the Conti, or Metzeler Road Tecs, but many said Metzelers wear quick, so Conti for me - The Road 5's did last ages, now wished they hadn't as they ruined two tours, but at the time on a new bike I thought it was just the bike and was starting to miss my "better handling" 1190.

I'm on my 3rd set of Conti Trail Attack 3's.....superb in wet & dry, and seem to last well.

If the TA 4's come out when I need a new set, I'll be opting for them :)

Ended up with Pilot Road 6....will see how these go once we get to Europe in August.

I'm on my 3rd set of Conti Trail Attack 3's.....superb in wet & dry, and seem to last well.

If the TA 4's come out when I need a new set, I'll be opting for them :)

If you don't ever ride off-road when not try road attacks, probably almost identical in feel but with a bit more grip on the road, particularly at full lean as they don't have the huge grooves at the edges.

About to fit another rear to mine, the front still looks OK, doubt it will quite last 2 rears, but will certainly see out the rest of this season and do for any post winter cobweb clearing runs.

Back
Top Bottom