Kielder Forest Drive

Scotsrick

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A wimpy question but is the Kieler Forest Drive okay for a GS 1250 and passenger with no off-road experience?

I quite fancy doing the Northumberland 250 and part of the route is through the Keilder Drive.

To clarify the first point I’m an experienced road biker but just have never felt the need to go off-road. Am I liable to land in a heap or is it passable with just a bit of care?

Or do I just do a bit of a diversion?

It's just a graded gravel forest track, doable two up with care.

I know I'll probably live to regret this for the piss taking that'll follow but here goes anyway! https://youtu.be/iK-LDAEvVug

This is me on my 701 doing it only last week so you can see what the drive is like currently, condition wise etc. Interestingly if you look at the comments someone commented that they also did it the same day on their 1250 GSA, with the Mrs and lots of luggage so you should be fine with a bit of care. Good luck. :thumb

Traction control off, ABS off & give it the beanz ;)

On a more sensible note, keep your head up and look ahead and plan your route through the track and you'll be fine.

Easily doable 2 up on a 1200 - - in that condition ,,,,, it’s when it’s been freshly laid with new scalpings it becomes a different matter altogether .

Done it a couple of times on a 1150 GS fully loaded with passenger etc....take your time, look ahead and you should be fine.

I'm going to say err on the side of caution.
It's a lovely route, I did it last year on a 1200 GS, fully loaded but just me.
I'm not a particularly competent rider and I spent a fair bit of time holding my breath and wondering why I'd started it though I was pleased I'd done it once I'd finished without dropping the bike.
I would say if you're a decent rider and (most importantly) think your passenger will enjoy it then give it a go.
Otherwise I'd mebbe think twice. But I am a bit of a girl.

NB The lad I was away with finished it at least 20 minutes ahead of me.

I'm going to say err on the side of caution.
It's a lovely route, I did it last year on a 1200 GS, fully loaded but just me.
I'm not a particularly competent rider and I spent a fair bit of time holding my breath and wondering why I'd started it though I was pleased I'd done it once I'd finished without dropping the bike.
I would say if you're a decent rider and (most importantly) think your passenger will enjoy it then give it a go.
Otherwise I'd mebbe think twice. But I am a bit of a girl.

NB The lad I was away with finished it at least 20 minutes ahead of me.

That sounds a bit like my experience of doing it last year on my GSA. I was pleased that I’d attempted and finished it without incident, but I didn’t rush and found sections of it scary. :eek:

Just done this today absolutely doable on the GS at a nice steady 20-30mph my friend is 74 he did it on his new Triumph GT pro some lovely views.
Cost is £3 payable at either end.

Attachments

• 11672F3C-0FCA-455F-AB33-1EC65C646308.jpeg
    11672F3C-0FCA-455F-AB33-1EC65C646308.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 337
  • 2DCA565D-665C-4891-B76B-EE74CD7474F5.jpeg
    2DCA565D-665C-4891-B76B-EE74CD7474F5.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 341
  • 24919D41-6DA2-4E21-A46A-7304F7CF0990.jpeg
    24919D41-6DA2-4E21-A46A-7304F7CF0990.jpeg
    118.2 KB · Views: 342
And mine from last Sunday....I did consider riding the Husky into the wooden thing thinking that would be a cool shot, but I bottled it and it would have been wrong to do so. :green gri

Just done this today absolutely doable on the GS at a nice steady 20-30mph my friend is 74 he did it on his new Triumph GT pro some lovely views.

Most people don't bother

Was it you having a coffee when I went past in my motorhome about 11:30 - 12am. I’m sure I saw the Triumph at the end of the row of bikes.

Well done you, I have subscribed and really liking the videos you have made!

Yourself delivering video like this and Wapping with his amazing routes is the kind of material for me at least I joined this forum for in addition to the readily available ‘constructive’ comments to any ad-hoc questions.

Great stuff mate

I know I'll probably live to regret this for the piss taking that'll follow but here goes anyway! https://youtu.be/iK-LDAEvVug

This is me on my 701 doing it only last week so you can see what the drive is like currently, condition wise etc. Interestingly if you look at the comments someone commented that they also did it the same day on their 1250 GSA, with the Mrs and lots of luggage so you should be fine with a bit of care. Good luck. :thumb

Yourself delivering video like this and Wapping with his amazing routes is the kind of material for me at least I joined this forum for in addition to the readily available ‘constructive’ comments to any ad-hoc questions.

Great stuff mate

Thats very kind of you, thank you. I just make the videos for a bit of fun so that when I'm old and decrepit and can't ride bikes anymore at least I can still gain some enjoyment from seeing the places I've visited over the years. :thumb

Great stuff mate

Thank you.

Great stuff mate

Subscribed too

Morning Udders yes It was us I saw a couple of Motorhomes coming down the hill.

Back
Top Bottom