Routing without stopping in Trip Planner

Orinoco

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thanks to Wapping we have a shiny new section for new non XT Garmin - thank you :)

I'm trying to get to grips with my new 346 which is quite unlike my old 550.

In trip planning there's an option when selecting what I assume is a waypoint which brings up the following prompt...'Selecting a city will stop at the city centre. Route without stopping instead?' If I select a number of these the route just ignores them completely, so that a circular route from say home just routes to what ever is selected as a waypoint not the 'route without stopping option'

Any ideas how this should work?

Thanks

I have no idea, I’m afraid. Hopefully someone with the same device will turn up. In the meantime, can you give a better example please.

Let’s say you want to go London > Northampton > Coventry > Windsor > London.

I guess from what you a saying that when you insert Northampton, you get the option to stop (ie town centre) or don’t stop, which (I assume) routes you close to Northampton but maybe routes you past the town on a ring road. Is that right? If so, I guess you select, nonstop. The device calculates the route, I guess? What does the screen show? Does the route go into the middle of Northampton or does it stop on the ring road?

You then pick Coventry and again select nonstop. What does the route show now? Does it bypass Coventry and stop? Does the route still bypass Northampton on the ring road or does it now go into the centre?

If it did as suggested that would be wonderful. However, when I've tried the same, London > Northampton > Coventry > Windsor > London and opted to not stop in the centre of Northampton the route would effectively ignore it and go straight to Coventry. If I'd opted not to stop in Coventry as well the route would be a triangle of London>Windsor>London, you'd not have a sniff of Northampton or Coventry

The attached shows a trip planned to route from Home (near Bridport)>Yeovil (no stop)>Gilligham, Dorset (no stop)> Poole (stop)>Home.

As you can see it goes vaguely in the direction of Yeovil, but miles from it, nowhere near Gillingham, found Poole OK and home

Maybe it would work better if I had more fixed waypoints in a linear route?

IMG-1644.jpg

If it did as suggested that would be wonderful. However, when I've tried the same, London > Northampton > Coventry > Windsor > London and opted to not stop in the centre of Northampton the route would effectively ignore it and go straight to Coventry. If I'd opted not to stop in Coventry as well the route would be a triangle of London>Windsor>London, you'd not have a sniff of Northampton or Coventry

Oh, I see, very odd.

I wonder if the device is somehow biased towards ‘skip waypoint’ ie. You put in take me to Northampton > Coventry > Windsor > London but then, as you approach each destination, you hit ‘skip waypoint’, which should then route you past and onto the next.

Certainly putting in more shaping points or even fixed via points (ie points you must go through) on roads outside of the towns should help.

Or just plot it out properly in say BaseCamp or MyRoute, which should stop all the nonsense at a stroke.

Back
Top Bottom