2021 R1250 GS Rallye firmware update error

vinhtran150@yahoo.com

Reaction score
I have bought R1250 GS Rallye with adaptive headlight at Thaco distributor in Vietnam. Everything is working well until I went to workshop outside to update the firmware and the issues come:

1. The lightning function is not available in the menu of dashboard and the daylight button not working.
2. Gear up indicator disappears on dashboard.
3. I can not use Cruise control

I came to Thaco distributor workshop in Vietnam for checking and technician does re upload the new firmware to the bike but it was not successfully because the error as below:

The imported vehicle order differs from the vehicle order saved in the vehicle
Added vehicle order elements: 0M04; $202

Removed vehicle order elements: 0M01; $562

I plugged fog lights Clearwater Sevina for my bike. Is it the problem of errors above and do I need to remove fog lights before re uploading the new firmware?

Could you please help me and Thaco workshop how to solve this problem?

Was your bike delivered from the factory with the features that are now missing? You can check what your bike was shipped with by putting in your VIN here https://www.mdecoder.com/

You might be able to add the missing options back using e-sys.

Sounds like they need to calibrate the quickshifter at minimum.

I do my own updates using ISTA+, you can google it

Yeah correct, before updating firmware all features are working perfectly. I have tried the link you share and the outcome is as below:

Vehicle Information
Type
Value
VIN Y700329
Prod. Date 2021-06-16
Service History !! CHECK HISTORY !!
Type R 1250 GS
Series K50 (1 Series)
Body Type -
Steering Left Hand Drive
Engine A74
Displacement 0
Power 0kw / 0hp
Drive -
Transmission Manual
Colour light-white/racing-blue met/racing-red
Upholstery Imitation leather "Leatherette/black"
Check mileage http://www.auto-records.com

Other Equipment
X0134 Adaptive Headlights
X018B Engine Drag Torque Control
X0191 Dynamic ESA
X0193 Keyless Ride
X019G Sport Silencer
X0202 Daytime Running Lights
X0219 Deluxe Headlight
X0222 Gearshift Assistant Pro
X0224 Driving Modes Pro
X0230 Comfort Package
X0233 Touring Package
X0235 Dynamic Package
X0272 Preparation, Navigation Unit
X0340 Exhaust Manifold, Chrome-Plated
X0381 Operating Instructions, English
X0453 Style Rallye
X0499 Lowering
X04A1 Passenger Package Low
X0519 Heated Handlebar Grips
X0530 RDC
X0538 Cruise Control
X0589 Hand Protector
X05AE Multifunctional Turn Signal Bulbs
X0681 Case Holder Left/Right
X07A6 3 Year Warranty
X09C6 CKD Installation Thailand

What is e-sys? I am not expert but I can show BMW workshop guy to help me.

Yeah correct, before updating firmware all features are working perfectly. I have tried the link you share and the outcome is as below:

Vehicle Information
Type
Value
VIN Y700329
Prod. Date 2021-06-16
Service History !! CHECK HISTORY !!
Type R 1250 GS
Series K50 (1 Series)
Body Type -
Steering Left Hand Drive
Engine A74
Displacement 0
Power 0kw / 0hp
Drive -
Transmission Manual
Colour light-white/racing-blue met/racing-red
Upholstery Imitation leather "Leatherette/black"
Check mileage http://www.auto-records.com

Other Equipment
X0134 Adaptive Headlights
X018B Engine Drag Torque Control
X0191 Dynamic ESA
X0193 Keyless Ride
X019G Sport Silencer
X0202 Daytime Running Lights
X0219 Deluxe Headlight
X0222 Gearshift Assistant Pro
X0224 Driving Modes Pro
X0230 Comfort Package
X0233 Touring Package
X0235 Dynamic Package
X0272 Preparation, Navigation Unit
X0340 Exhaust Manifold, Chrome-Plated
X0381 Operating Instructions, English
X0453 Style Rallye
X0499 Lowering
X04A1 Passenger Package Low
X0519 Heated Handlebar Grips
X0530 RDC
X0538 Cruise Control
X0589 Hand Protector
X05AE Multifunctional Turn Signal Bulbs
X0681 Case Holder Left/Right
X07A6 3 Year Warranty
X09C6 CKD Installation Thailand

What is e-sys? I am not expert but I can show BMW workshop guy to help me.

e-sys is a tool you can use to directly change settings in the ECU. Can be dangerous in the wrong hands and very unlikely your dealer would have ever heard of it

ISTA+ is the tool your dealer would have used to update the bike. Your vehicle order was changed for some reason but hard to know why without seeing what happened.

I would suggest your dealer needs to contact BMW to help them fix it. I've updated BMW bikes countless times and never seen that happen

The dealer said they imported VO (Vehicle order) online to the bike but the errors are still existing and the daylights button not working, also there is no lighting menu item in the Setting.

Below is screenshot of errors and the dashboard in the Menu vehicle setting.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/04eiY918_Ijn9piacy7_3qT5A

https://share.icloud.com/photos/043TiHW4cJREtquoXFZJRboRw

Dealer contacted with BMW support to ask them to import the Original Vehicle Order but they have not replied yet :( :(

Any suggestion from you to fix this issue?

The dealer said they imported VO (Vehicle order) online to the bike but the errors are still existing and the daylights button not working, also there is no lighting menu item in the Setting.

Below is screenshot of errors and the dashboard in the Menu vehicle setting.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/04eiY918_Ijn9piacy7_3qT5A

https://share.icloud.com/photos/043TiHW4cJREtquoXFZJRboRw

Dealer contacted with BMW support to ask them to import the Original Vehicle Order but they have not replied yet :( :(

Any suggestion from you to fix this issue?

Vehicle orders are used when purchasing new options i.e. your bike didn't have cruise and you now want to retrofit it. The dealer is going to have to work with BMW to resolve the issue but it sounds like there has been some miscommunication there.

It should be possible to fix but not by a dealer. As I said in my first post, you need something like e-sys but that it more like hacking the ECU.

Let us know how you go! The majority of muppets on this forum will have zero clue what you're talking about.

Yes Yes sure I am going to update you the progress of how this issue is shorted out by dealer and BMW AG. You know I left the bike in workshop nearly 1 week. ODO is about 300km :( :(

By the way, I would like to thank You for your empathy sharing with my situation. Highly appreciated!!!!

By the way, option 202 is the daytime running lights but not sure what the other ones are. Makes no sense why they would add this to a bike that already has it.

Very bizarre and curious to know why BMW asked them to do it. 300klms of 'test' rides...more like they took it home for joy rides.

I hate dealers!

As dealer just said to me that they are waiting for the BMW AG support to use X-tool software (Expert tool) which is not equipped for dealers to load Originial Vehicle Order to my bike to make it as the new one from factory then they hope the on/off daylight button issue will be gone. I will keep you posted.

"I hate dealers" --> Lols yeah they only want to sell the bikes and that is all.

As dealer just said to me that they are waiting for the BMW AG support to use X-tool software (Expert tool) which is not equipped for dealers to load Originial Vehicle Order to my bike to make it as the new one from factory then they hope the on/off daylight button issue will be gone. I will keep you posted.

"I hate dealers" --> Lols yeah they only want to sell the bikes and that is all.

I may have someone who can help if it does not go well but you would have an buy an inexpensive device and pay him. He can do it remotely as the newer bikes use Ethernet for connectivity

I may have someone who can help if it does not go well but you would have an buy an inexpensive device and pay him. He can do it remotely as the newer bikes use Ethernet for connectivity

Hi, good news. The BMW AG sent original VO to the dealer and all issues are fixed now. Thanks mate to adivise me during the time.

Went to my local BMW MOTORRAD dealers last week and was strongly advised against any software update unless I had any issues, which at the mo I don’t , opinion’s please.

Went to my local BMW MOTORRAD dealers last week and was strongly advised against any software update unless I had any issues, which at the mo I don’t , opinion’s please.

I would follow the dealers advice. If it ain't broke, and you have no pressing need for any possible added features ( and thus potential issues with a coding change ), best leave it as it is. If however your bike needs a critical update for some reason then by all means crack on.

Not bikes but in a previous career when testing industrial controls in the field, I experienced frustrating major issues with uploading firmware/software to rectify and upgrade machines that have caused major problems. Sometimes when they alter lines of existing code, the knock on effect if they get it wrong can take ages back and forth to debug and rectify properly.

Yeah correct. My bike was documented in BMW AG system and I have the warning from BMW AG that they will reject the warranty if I update firmware for the bike unofficially (not from BMW dealers).

I would follow the dealers advice. If it ain't broke, and you have no pressing need for any possible added features ( and thus potential issues with a coding change ), best leave it as it is. If however your bike needs a critical update for some reason then by all means crack on.

Not bikes but in a previous career when testing industrial controls in the field, I experienced frustrating major issues with uploading firmware/software to rectify and upgrade machines that have caused major problems. Sometimes when they alter lines of existing code, the knock on effect if they get it wrong can take ages back and forth to debug and rectify properly.

Dealers know next to nothing when it comes to software updates on bikes. Very rare there is an issue updating bikes and any issue if usually the error of the person doing the updates.

It's not hard when using the dealer software to do updates but you need to following some precautions. In fact, the software won't allow you to proceed as it checks voltage levels before proceeding

bmw only see version, if old ista do upgrade, if bmw service ask, if latest version nothing happen, just like computer

Back
Top Bottom