Trip advice wanted.

neiljitsu

Reaction score
Hello chaps,

I'm head over to the lake district for a few days. I'm looking for advice on routes and places to stay.
Cheers!!

Crikey !! Where do you start ? B&B or camping ?
I would imagine it will be busy so I hope you can find somewhere. Bowness on Windermere is gorgeous. To be honest it all is ! Someone will be along soon with links and proper recommendations !
Enjoy your trip :)

How soon are you travelling? Accommodation bookings are scarce over the next few months. Be prepared to be flexible with location and price. Maybe look at places east of the M6 like this pub at Long Preston and then commute in to the Lakes. I stopped here on the way home from Scotland https://goo.gl/maps/r2pVHmZgR38LrGSU6 - lovely Timothy Taylor ales and good food. I also did a loop around the lovely Forest of Bowland which is much quieter than the lakes and a worthy add on to Cumbria.

Quite a few places on booking.com - we decided yesterday to go there on Saturday and had choice of quite a good range.

In a few days, you can go pretty much everywhere in the Lakes and some of them you’ll visit more than once because of the routes linking through the same places. Some suggestions:
Buttermere and Borrowdale - don’t miss Surprise View (trust me…)
Windermere to Pooley Bridge via Troutbeck and Kirkstone Pass
Langdales, Fell Foot and Wrynose/Hardknott Passes then continue to Eskdale and turn left to Ulpha
Grizedale, Tarn Hows and Coniston - there’s a lovely cafe on the shore of Esthwaite Water
Scout Scar near Kendal is worth half an hour to walk up the escarpment and see the view on a clear day

Try to avoid the main A591 through the middle of the area as much as you can. The back roads are loads more fun eg through the back of Grasmere to Elterwater is a 1000% better way to get to the Langdales or Skelwith Bridge than fighting your way through Ambleside

When you set off home, head south to the A590 eg from Bowness to Winster and the Lyth Valley. Much better than following the herd towards Kendal.

I'm planning on heading over in 2 weeks. We are coming up from Holyhead.
I was thinking Kendal for the first night, but I am open to suggestions.

Quite a few places on booking.com - we decided yesterday to go there on Saturday and had choice of quite a good range.

In a few days, you can go pretty much everywhere in the Lakes and some of them you’ll visit more than once because of the routes linking through the same places. Some suggestions:
Buttermere and Borrowdale - don’t miss Surprise View (trust me…)
Windermere to Pooley Bridge via Troutbeck and Kirkstone Pass
Langdales, Fell Foot and Wrynose/Hardknott Passes then continue to Eskdale and turn left to Ulpha
Grizedale, Tarn Hows and Coniston - there’s a lovely cafe on the shore of Esthwaite Water
Scout Scar near Kendal is worth half an hour to walk up the escarpment and see the view on a clear day

Try to avoid the main A591 through the middle of the area as much as you can. The back roads are loads more fun eg through the back of Grasmere to Elterwater is a 1000% better way to get to the Langdales or Skelwith Bridge than fighting your way through Ambleside

When you set off home, head south to the A590 eg from Bowness to Winster and the Lyth Valley. Much better than following the herd towards Kendal.

Thanks for the pointers. I'm looking forward to it now.

My personal choice is the Western Lakes and Cumbria Coast around Ravenglass, this gets forgotten by the main family tourist brigade some terrific roads including access to the Northern Lakes and Hardknot, lots to see and do and places to stay.

Thanks for the suggestions chaps, I'm looking forward to seeing it.

My advice would be to ride the lakes early in the day or in the evening this time of year. I went over the Kirkstone pass last Saturday morning at pre 6am and it was bliss, I had the Whole place to myself, as I made my way to the ferry at Cairnryan.
Similarly most day trippers bugger off at five ish. After this the valleys descend into a wonderful tranquility.

During the day, well good luck, the traffic can be a little heavy.

Back
Top Bottom