Dreams Vs Reality!? - Xmoto ownership & maintenance

Nikonthenet

Reaction score
Hi there, new member here, considering delving into what seems to be the mysterious & unique world of the BMW Xmoto.
Wondering if I should run now while I still can or just leap with a wide grin?

I'm not new to bikes, project bikes or rarer bikes, having kept a '08 Buell XB12 alive and well, chopped some older bikes with varying degrees of success and maintained bikes much of the past 25 years. I'm looking for a new project bike, something I can tinker with...but I also want something I can reasonably expect to keep roadworthy and enjoy.

Aside from the Xmoto unique bodywork, etc, how problematic is the parts availability of these bikes?

My research -and please correct me where I am wrong or offer additional advice- leads me to believe the Xmoto shares its engine and many mechanical parts with the Xchallenge & Xcountry, so there is some crossover and inter-changable parts availability there.

And notably; some years of the the G650GS also shares the same engine I believe? meaning engine maintenance is not a problem?

If you have a moment to share your thoughts on the reality/expectation of keeping & maintaining one of these increasingly rare bikes on the road, it'd be much appreciated
:beerjug:

As you say, all 3 g650x bikes mechanically similar.

Some engine parts interchangeable with f650 g650 x bikes.

Panels, lights, dash, frame and swing arm are unique to these models.

Other parts fairly generic.

Other parts fairly generic.

Thanks for the input GFJ.

So is that to say the main mechanical doodads like engine internals, fuel pump & filters, fuel injection system and cooling system, is fairly generic?

It may be that I'm over-thinking the Xmoto, as with the Buell even basic stuff like fuel pump & filter were unique. Thankfully I was one of the lucky ones and never had much trouble with it(incredible machines imo), but I read about silly problems others were having giving me reason for pause here.

Thanks GFJ, I am very familiar with maxbmw and also find a UK version useful: www.bike-parts-bmw.co.uk

However, I've done the basic research you suggest, and its the reason for my pause on the bike. You see, if you look at the Xmoto Fuel tank assembly on your link, it clearly states 'not available'. Yet if I run that part number through say Rybrook Motorrad at online-parts.co.uk it suggests 3-4 days shipping. Indeed theres not many parts that seem unavailable either from Germany or Uk Motorrad, including body panels. So while on the face of it I should be happy, I question if these parts are really available at all(I have emailed but 3 days no response). On top of all that, in my research here and other enthusiast sites, suggest parts are becoming scarce...hence the confusion and question for clarity from those in the know!
-Thats a bit convoluted, I hope you get my point!

Steve - thanks for the link, yep I do enjoy Bennets and am doing the homework. Am hoping to get the inside skinny from owners.

Part from Europe will be costlier, however items are getting scarce.
The problem is, that it's not that simple to find OEM parts which fit the machines.
An example is the stepper motor, or idle accentuator.
BMWs is expensive, any other vehicle type could be got dirt cheap, Renault for example.
The tank? I guess this is the last thing to go.
You mention the pump, the fuel filter is from Mahle and easy to get.
Zontes have a Voge see Loncin, I read that some of these parts fit too.
Cheers Josey

Back
Top Bottom