"Not exactly paved" routes towards the Ardennes

er-minio

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm thinking about going towards the Ardennes next week over the bank holiday. I was considering Wales initially, but everywhere in the UK will be packed. Probably the same in France, but to a lesser extent hopefully.

It's fairly close, and was considering doing some light off/gravel routes (I'll be traveling on my own and have to make some progress, so I'd keep it on the easy side) on the French bit towards there.
Been looking online and found very little or nothing.
Once in the area I was planning to go along Wapping's old route listed here: https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/448944-la-Route-des-L%e9gendes-Ardennes

Asking the UKGSer collective knowledge for any potentially useful information to do some miles on dirt. ;)

That’s exactly why I’m asking about gravel type routes.

I’ve done it and do it regularly, but aim to keep it to easy routes, especially when abroad.

Thanks! Bookmarked.
Sadly all the routes are south.

I'm looking online for alternatives :)

So far I think, when there, to follow the loop provided by Waps, as mentioned in the first post:
routeard.png

Checking if there is any slightly interesting (I'm not expecting much) routes through l'Avesnois till south of Lille (circa) and I'm happy to use the motorway from there.
There seems to be some stuff on Wikiloc.

Considering the cost of crossing the channel (200+) and the potential border misery due to the high traffic during the bank holiday... I think I'll shelf this and try it again one of the coming weekends. Easier/cheaper to take a Friday off work and do it then.

I found a couple of (very short) off bits on the way.
Will put it all together in a .gpx.

Back
Top Bottom