Thinking of buying an old Ironhead Sporty

Billd

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Feel a bit stupid admitting that here amongst all the news of HD's latest bikes. As I enjoy working on bikes and riding old bikes why not a 1972 XLCH Ironhead, surly they are no more unreliable than an old Triumph or Norton. With a claimed hp of 61 suspect it will feel like a rocket or at the very least a very fast turbo prop!

If anyone feels the need to talk me out of it please feel free. All other comments welcomed. It's not a done deal at this point so can still back out if someone presents very compelling reasons to avoid. if I go ahead with this will post some updates as to progress on it's reconstruction. At the moment the bike I'm looking at is up and running and on the road but I'm unable to leave any new bike (to me!) alone for long.

be prepared for lots of problems inserted by previous owners. i worked in a shop that saw loads of these , all left with big bills. most of them more than the bike was worth.

I had a go on one circa thirty years ago. It went very well for what it was and was WAY faster than an 883 of the day, loads of 'grunt'. It shook and vibrated like nothing I had ever ridden before, I could never have ridden it far, it was much worse than a 70's Brit' bike.

It was sort of crap but I liked it.....I'm not helping am I ??....:D

Remember boys...............this is my current ride

Attachments

• 3B95E9C0-27E2-4C0A-9FC5-5060FDFF264F.jpg
    3B95E9C0-27E2-4C0A-9FC5-5060FDFF264F.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 147
they can be more unreliable than the average brit of the same age, but if maintained they are normally no worse, biggest issue is vibration and things just working loose and people not keeping on top of it, as said above normally pissed about with by owners with more enthusiasm than ability, however spares are easy to get and reasonably cheap, if you do your own spannering they are easy to work on and keep on the road, they do tend to be more oil tight than the average triumph of the time, brakes are garbage to a degree not normally experienced. Havent had one in a long long time but it was fun although not really a long distance touring bike.

Go for it. :thumb

I was almost tempted to offer you my 1983 XLX-61, but I think I'd miss it too much.

Well, that's today's sentiment.... tomorrow may be different. :D

Still no luck finding an Ironhead, have come close a couple of times so if someone has one or knows of one let me know please

Fab idea. People like me need people like you to keep these old bikes running so we can admire them whenever we're lucky enough to spot one.

Got very excited when I seen this...............................thanks.....................for FA!!!

Back
Top Bottom