Welsh love & 3 nights based in Brecon ... April 22.

Rusty

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Right then chaps ... nothing new here I know but we all have different experiences of different places and so here is my short take on Brecon, The Borderers B&B and the lovely Welsh people and their countryside.
So from Charing Cross and the south coast the 4 of us decided to meet up at the Beconsfield Services M40 then onto Ross on Wye to pick up the last fellow before heading off to Brecon for the next 3 nights.

A stop in The Cotswolds was an obvious place to fuel up with tea / coffee / cake. We were not disappointed.

3eN01bc.jpg

Lots of stunning houses and village centres ... I mean what's not to like?

hCIPjal.jpg

Into Brecon arriving at our Guest House .... The Borderers. Now this is located pretty much central in Brecon on the main road at The Watton (LD3 7EG) Ideal for us Tossers. Straight in off the street into an old coach yard that is ideal to park the bikes up out the way of any prying eyes.
NUa32Rq.jpg

The lady who runs it is Gail.. she's in charge. Nice decent clean and tidy rooms. She could not have been a better host. Really she was 5* and her cooked breakfasts in the morning ??? BOOOTififul !:)

oUl3eLL.jpg

And here to prove the point is the brekky I had 3 days on the trot ... set me up nicely it did too. :)

tQ6T9ff.jpg

XIwrich.jpg

So the first day was 273 miles in all. Mostly A roads just to get us in and there were no issues.

Day 2 was up at 8 to a wet start but it did not last long and we had a decent day out. I don't remember the exact places and routes but they were stitched together from recommended pages in ABR mags etc ... and very good they were too. A lot of gravel goat tracks and shitty dirt roads that I would never have taken .. as always these proved to be the best bits !

BwpVvwv.jpg

SvEaGXW.jpg

180 miles and back in time for a wash and a jolly good curry in the town centre. It was very quiet, but for mid April it probably would be.

A few more pics for you ....
DyTcbYu.jpg

5YIGscZ.jpg

lnuGw6Y.jpg

And so the last day was about 200 miles .. up to The Devils Staircase and around. A bit wet but what do you expect ? Just stunning roads. Not a Police Officer in site and no incoming NIPS in the 14 days after we got back .. not that there would have been !!

The last day home was via The Forest of Dean, Cheltenham Race Course, Oxford Motorad, and Tintern Abbey.

CT0YCis.jpg

ieEP5IN.jpg

There you go .... a bit of riding, a few beers, a dirty GS and some Welsh rain.
What more do you want ?

Great you had a good time.

What is weird I used to have the same bike BX18 NXY and every time I see the Rallye tank my heart flutters as tad thinking it might be her :D

First and foremost , congratulations on being able to attach photo's to the thread, alas, I suspect perhaps you may have had some professional IT assistance to do so as I know these matters do not come naturally to you. :D

It is a beautiful area, the Brecon Beacons. As you know I did it earlier this year for the ABR Mag, thankfully though I didn't have any rain so my GSA didn't end up as filthy as yours! The accommodation you have referenced looks good and the coach yard area for the bikes looks very rustic, I wouldn't have been surprised if there had been a horse tethered up under it!!

Great photos, looking at your breakfast photo, the only thing I could eat on there would be the beans and maybe the mushrooms. I do miss the full English, Welsh, Scottish breakfast with all the works.

So, where to next?

As you well know there may be another 2 or 3 posts coming up. A bit of Somerset, a bit of Dorset and a bit of Finland in September... like 7 days worth :)

Cannot agree about the breakfast review, no sign of black pudding, otherwise great report, thanks for taking the time to do it.

It shames some of us.

I have also used the Llanstephan bridge for vehicle photo shoots

I agree with Deano brill write up , less words more pics tell the story great. Nice one. Looks a tad wet , but glad you enjoyed it

I’m disappointed that there was no mention of a dropped GSA and destroyed Rukka trousers!

I’m disappointed that there was no mention of a dropped GSA and destroyed Rukka trousers!

I didn't want to embarass the poor chap .. it was a slow tip on a sheepy shitty lane and his trousers were ruined in a jiffy !!

I'm glad a lot of you make the effort to write these travel reports.. big thank you!!💪👍 It may be known territory to most of you but for a "stranger" like myself any travel story in the UK/GB has my interest. Loving the pictures going with it. Heard lots of people praising The Cottswolds so def on my "gotta go see" list. And that goes for Wales as well. Thanks for the positive review of the B&B always good to hear about places which are set up for bikers.
I noticed quite a few refferals to the ABR. Is there a topic somewhere on that as in a few weeks time i will be going to my first ABR weekend at Ragley Hall. Might get to meet some of you Guys.😎🚒😃

Ragley Hall will be great I am sure ( I can't go sadly ) There will be plenty of riders there from this forum so get out there and meet up with as many riders as you can. I am sure you will make new friends too. Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom