Sleeping mat, cot or both?

richardbd

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
What do you use and why?

New to this tenting malarkey. I have a Mountain Equipment Helium 3.8 mat and a decent sleeping bag. Camping in Wales later in June.

Cot a worthwhile addition or not?

Cots are comfortable, but if it's a bit chilly, you still need something on it otherwise the chill comes through the cot and straight through your compressed sleeping bag (as you are lying on it)

I'll take my cot if I have space, in the summer, but I'll also take a mat or light blanket to put on the cot.

Not used one myself, usualyl a decent sleeping mat/pad and sleeping bag is good enough. Might be worth testing one to see if it would enable better/more comfortable sleep. Although they don't pack up small and would need a fair bit space to pack one in.

When I did the tenting thing, exped downmat did the trick, no need for a cot. These days I find a credit card and Booking.com help me sleep really well. Appreciate that’s not an option or preferred by everyone.

Exped Downmat beats everything, especially with the pump sack (mustn't get the down wet with breath).

tom

The big advantage of a cot that has not been mentioned is that you are higher off the floor, especially so with a Helinox and extended legs. Being able to just swing your legs over the side in the morning rather than crawl out and off the floor is not to be poo poo'd as you get older. Obviously you need a taller tent but that's another win if you are 50+!

But as mentioned you do need to add a thermal layer on top of the cot or you will get chilly, I use an older thermarest with a sheet over it to hold it in place.

Cots are ok depending on your tent. They don’t work so well in a 1 man tent because you don’t have the extra height you need for one. Same goes for some of the smaller 2 man tents. I have an Exped MegaMat 10 which is truly superb but not when it comes to pack size though. :blast I also now have an Exped Downmat 9LW. Now that does pack down pretty small, is blooming good at keeping the cold out and is fairly light too. :thumb2.

Richard, I'd stick with what you have for starters.....it may work well for you. If it doesn't, try a different set up ?

Worth getting a sleeping bag liner. It adds an extra layer of warmth and comfort and keeps your bag cleaner.

www.scottishsilkworm.com.uk have old stock at half price on their website!

I bought an Exped mat following a recent 50% of link shared.

I then discovered that my cotton sleeping bag liner fits over it like a fitted sheet and I now use my sleeping bag open like a quilt - It works very well for me :D

Here’s the thread https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/573876-Half-price-Exped-SynMat-7M?highlight=Exped

https://www.trekitt.co.uk/sleep-shelter/sleeping-mats/exped-synmat-7-m-sleeping-mat__2539

Exactly my set up, only I use a silk liner, but like you say fits like a fitted sheet.

i have a 3 season sleeping bag, non down. And a 3/4 length airbed that is probably 50mm when inflated. Never been cold, never suffered. Try the lightest option first - you won't die...you will then learn..in summer i use a much lighter sleeping bag

As with Adventuredon, I have two sleeping bags, one light and one three season. In my world, it’s a bit like having a different clothes (or at least different layers) for different weather. Both bags I have had for years. The trick is to look after them. I air mine fully on return and leave it put away in a simple mesh bag, not squashed into a tiny compression sack. If they ever need washing, I follow the very simple instructions on the label, nothing more. I think the lighter bag must now be 20 or more years old and near enough as good as the day I bought it.

My air bed, is the Exped Downmat 9LW, which I cannot recommend enough. If I am going by car, I might take a proper camp bed but on the bike I find the air bed is more than adequate.

If it’s going to be steaming hot, I have a silk liner, which weighs and packs down to nothing. If it’s going to be cold or wet, I have an ex-army gore-tex cover, bought secondhand of UKGse years ago. It simply traps are between my sleeping bag and the outside air, which warms up. Again, horses for courses…. Just look after it all.

Back
Top Bottom