Off for a bimble around France

Very nice. Ask for the carafe as a take away to go with the baguette for supper.

Well that didn’t last, the night was dreadful so I’ve moved on to Die, as in the place😂
There was a dog barking until @ 4am, think it was lost and stuck in the park next to the campsite, at 4am thunder and lightning! Oh and lots of rain. Roads leaving Le Puy and here have been great, and I feel no inclination to try to ride fast, revelled in bimbling along looking at stuff. However barely stopped as my back is playing up in a major way, found some expired Zapain pills in my tankbag, hopefully they’ll work.

I moved on as the forecast for Le Puy was unsettled and thunderstorms, saw 34 degrees today. Didn’t stop much en route as didn’t want to risk not being able to get back on the bike. Booked in at the municipal campsite in Die for two nights, here’s the view from my tent :)

7-CB1-DE6-A-FE98-4-B55-BFB3-BB395-EC95-FF2.jpg
[/url] [/IMG]

Enjoying this, what a great way to travel. Nice easy pace, drinking in all what's around you. So often missed
when munching the miles and trying to see lots and end up seeing nothing. I'm interested in these municipal
campsites you're stopping at, as they all seem to be near town centres which would work well in the evenings
for meals/drinks etc.
Re speaking French, just think of Inspector Clouseau when you talk, or Officer Crabtree off 'Allo 'Allo.:thumb2
The Auvergne looks a lovely place. Enjoy the rest of your trip.:beerjug:

Die is an interesting place, the old town is beautiful, though in that way the French seem to do so well, everything looks abandoned and neglected, but people are living in the buildings, so different to the UK. I’ve not worked out yet why every building has shutters and they’re mostly closed, even some doors, though others are huge old heavy front doors.

Die is quite hippy chic, a bit like Frome, Bridport, Totnes, though with what appears to be a ‘street folk’ issue, quite a number of people clearly not functioning on all four cylinders. It’s all friendly enough, just noticeable. It’s quite a destination for biker mates as well,hardly surprising given its location.

On the municipal campsite thing, yes, a French phenomenon, used to always be run by the local council, most still seem to be others are private. All cheap and intone centre of town or close too, @€7/8 a night for one with tent and no electric.

Some photos of today’s wander around Die

47-F4-EDEB-0317-44-A7-9-AEC-02-CAD7-ECB1-B6.jpg
[/url] [/IMG]

I am, closely followed by Col de Lathaux, Combe Laval and Gorges de la Bourne. Will skirt Grenoble and try not to get stuck there then on to Albertville but via some wiggly roads on the map :)

I am, closely followed by Col de Lathaux, Combe Laval and Gorges de la Bourne. Will skirt Grenoble and try not to get stuck there then on to Albertville but via some wiggly roads on the map :)

Cool.
Done all those.Fabulous.
Don’t forget the Gorge du Nan !!!

Oops, I missed you, I live on the outskirts of Le Puy

I presume you took the D15 though Mars, Saint-Agrève ? Great roads :thumb2

If you’re going north La Chapelle en Vercors has a very good WWII museum and a tragic history

To your right is the Route Napoleon :D

If you’re going north La Chapelle en Vercors has a very good WWII museum and a tragic history

Sounds familiar, it was very nice, great roads , must be a joy to live there. I was looking at an estate agent window today, it mages you realise how ludicrously expensive some parts of the UK are, Walsall the exception:D

I stopped at La Chapelle en Vercors rather randomly some years ago, and read the memorial, tragic.

If you’re going north La Chapelle en Vercors has a very good WWII museum and a tragic history h
M

Sounds familiar, it was very nice, great roads , must be a joy to live there. I was looking at an estate agent window today, it mages you realise how ludicrously expensive some parts of the UK are, Walsall the exception:D

I stopped at La Chapelle en Vercors rather randomly some years ago, and read the memorial, tragic.

Funnily enough I also lived in Walsall for a few years, I know which one I prefer :nod

Enjoying this, what a great way to travel. Nice easy pace, drinking in all what's around you. So often missed
when munching the miles and trying to see lots and end up seeing nothing. I'm interested in these municipal
campsites you're stopping at, as they all seem to be near town centres which would work well in the evenings
for meals/drinks etc.
Re speaking French, just think of Inspector Clouseau when you talk, or Officer Crabtree off 'Allo 'Allo.:thumb2
The Auvergne looks a lovely place. Enjoy the rest of your trip.:beerjug:

Yes municipal campsites are almost always in small towns and very cheap, possibly subsidised. I think the history was some left wing govt in the past wanted all french families to have the opportunity of cheap holidays

Might have to post more when home, having trouble with signal and internet:(

89639-C5-F-9962-4410-A6-F4-1-E342208-DD19.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Back home now and thought I'd better finish what I started. I had to give up due to just having my phone and dire wifi and 4G which was clearly not 4G, so posting anything was very hit and miss.

So, Day 6, on my way from Die where I'd camped for two nights at the municipal campsite, wonderful little site next to the river, free access to the swimming pool next door, a bar/cafe and close to town. Arrived around 4:30, no booking, but no problem, all for €8 a night. As soon as I'd parked up at my pitch a French guy opposite came over to say hello, ask about the bike and explain that he had lots of bikes, he with almost no English and my limited French, hilarious what you can achieve with gestures! I then remembered to use the translate app on my phone, brilliant, he was almost a living Joe Barr.

I included the photo of Pont en Royans as it was so unexpected when I came across it, will put on my list of must return places to spot more time there. The roads there and especially the gorge between there and Grenoble were amazing. The bike just loved bimbling along them between 40-60 depending on the circumstances, managing an astonishing 96.5mpg according to Fuelly, handy with a litre of Sans Plomb 95 E5 at €2.10 a litre.

I stopped in Lans en Vercors for lunch, a a Savouyard (spelling) baguette - local cheese, scission, walnuts, savouyard sauce, lovely and a cake, always a great selection in a French patisserie. Just the job to sustain me on my trip over the mountains at Saint Colomban des Villards and the Col du Glandon.

I met up with chums at a chalet in Crest Voland which was to be our base for the next week, we managed to find somewhere open for dinner, it's mainly a ski resort and sort of between seasons. The roads just around here are brilliant, everything from fast twists to gravel mountain roads.

A171-F88-A-6529-48-C3-99-C2-C766-DA501-E94.jpg

8-F984-A74-07-E0-4178-8327-E30-ACDA4-CE82.jpg

79-DE20-DE-000-F-4-C54-AE7-C-D0-CA6-C7-F1-B69.jpg

32714-C54-125-A-460-E-A770-94031-A099-C75.jpg

17-D48110-9692-4443-9-DE6-033-DA521-B329.jpg

17765-B33-2086-45-C4-B753-A362-DB69245-C.jpg

02023-FB9-B108-4035-922-E-DA2-C6-CB73474.jpg

Day 7, the rest of my pals had arrived late, 10pm the night before after deciding to opt for 'plan a thrill' on their TomTom, taking them an interesting route.

So this day was a bit chilled with just a ride to Les Saisies and up to the panoramic view with a 360 degree view of the surrounding mountains and weather to match, the clouds changed so fast, amazing to watch, but almost go caught out as they closed in, the views were epic.

Can't seem to get the image the right way round!

AFE26761-EB15-4-CDC-909-B-3-D2-D7-EA37-F57.jpg

E4-A6439-F-A8-A2-418-E-AC2-D-AE2915-CB326-A.jpg

Day 8, the weathers good so a trip around Mont Blanc is in order, anti clockwise, Cormet de Roseland, La Croix, Little and Large St Bernards and lots of other passes, lunch in Italy at La Thuile and afternoon coffee in Switzerland.

The climb out of Beaufort up towards Cormet de Roseland is brilliant, I've done this ride before, many years ago and remember it seems so distant, remote and lonely, this time with the sun out, temperature up and other bikes and cyclists (everywhere!) it was completely different. The lake is such an amazing blue, unreal.

Then the drop down to Bourg Saint Mourice through La Croix hairpins was epic and the scenery - wow. Then came the climb up to Petit St Bernard and the obligatory stop for photos of the dog statues and the entry into Italy. Lunch in La Thuile at a great little restaurant called La Creche, down a side street off the main road through, recommended, tagliatelle with venison, the best. Chums ordered beers and instead of 25cl drinks were served 50cl, I stuck with water, didn't trust myself on such a long ride, 200+ miles on some very tight roads.

The run following was exhausting, down the valley road into Aosta, getting lost and stuck in traffic at 34 degrees, keeping to the speed limits and embarrassingly being overtaken by a young lass in a scrappy top and stilettos riding a Vespa :blast

It was 'only' six and a half hours riding time, but with stops, lunch, photos, getting lost was a 12 hour day, but epic

Still can't get the photos the right way around...

0-ADB0-B72-D86-D-4457-89-CD-8-C45-DF45-B2-FD.jpg

4534-DB67-6-B39-4-D59-B86-F-2-CF44872-D010.jpg

4-CB34757-6552-4-AC1-B7-BA-AFC6318-B855-C.jpg

6831-DE64-89-E9-429-F-93-AA-304-B53-EF6-EAD.jpg

71-DFA8-D7-A678-4-D9-F-8-B4-B-37-F075-BD6082.jpg

88730855-9-FAE-41-F8-9487-56-EADF6814-F6.jpg

939071-C0-8-DFC-4956-A56-B-9-BB1-AA9-E1-DD9.jpg

C4686654-8-E38-4784-81-A6-048-C50-DC7-E4-B.jpg

D51-C04-D3-D9-E4-489-C-BD6-B-E7-A3-D78-F1-C9-C.jpg

EBF07289-FB52-46-AB-8-BA2-0073-BF87822-B.jpg

Back
Top Bottom