Maps on Garmin device not showing in Basecamp

Berin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Weird problem. I have 2 Montana 700’s, both have City Nav maps, one has GB Topo and the other has France Topo. All the maps appear to be working on the device.

If I plug the devices into the Mac and load up Basecamp, Basecamp reads the maps from the device and the maps show in the left side panel.

But, when I try to view the maps on the device, everything east of a line through Spain is missing. Most of the UK appears, maybe missing a bit of Kent.

Any ideas? I need to view the France Topo maps for some route planning and I can’t see another way to view the maps in Basecamp.

I don’t have either of the devices that you mention but I have noticed that BaseCamp is becoming increasingly flakey on my (very powerful) Mac.

It is often defaulting to the base (undetailed) map.

It is sometimes leaving chunks out, much as you describe, requiring me to sometimes restart the Mac.

It is a pity as BaseCamp on a Mac used to run really smoothly. I have all but given up with it, other than for storing routes and trscks.

I think it's the Mac version. I've loaded Basecamp for Windows using Parallels and I can see all of the France too map detail, whereas on the MA~c it just doesn't work.

May I ask what you are using for trip planning now, Richard? It may not help because as usual I'm planning unsurfaced roads in the South of France, and I haven't found another planner which shows these.

I don’t have either of the devices that you mention but I have noticed that BaseCamp is becoming increasingly flakey on my (very powerful) Mac.

It is often defaulting to the base (undetailed) map.

It is sometimes leaving chunks out, much as you describe, requiring me to sometimes restart the Mac.

It is a pity as BaseCamp on a Mac used to run really smoothly. I have all but given up with it, other than for storing routes and trscks.

I am now using MyRoute almost exclusively, not least as it links well with Garmin Drive and the BMW Connected app. Being cloud based, I can also access it anywhere, whether on my iPad or iPhone. Whilst I am not adverse to the odd farm road on my 1600, I do not deliberately plot goat tracks, I’m afraid.

One of the subscribers, GB I think, does a lot of off-road. He has tried various pieces of software. He recently landed on something, I’m sure.

Edit:

I was right: https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/574745-OSMand-Off-road-etc

Last edited:
This was one of the apps I looked at when reviewing phones apps vs. Garmin.
I would see this as a replacement for a Garmin device since you can run it on your phone, but not as a replacement for Basecamp.
People seem to use it for navigating a gpx file they’ve blagged from somewhere rather than creating a route, as far as I can see.

Basecamp provides the capability to store and manage a track and route library plus join and split tracks, hold the same tracks and waypoint in different folders which makes route planning easier, and all the other stuff you know about.

Anyway, short term problem solved, I downloaded the Talky Toaster Topo maps and the gravelmaps West maps, and they run fine in basecamp, sufficient for me to plan the trip anyway. And since I’ll export tracks to the device I’ll have no rerouting issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aha, I see what you mean.

I agree that BaseCamp is really good at holding data.

Great that you’ve sorted yourself out for off-road route planning.

:beerjug:

Aha, I see what you mean.

I agree that BaseCamp is really good at holding data.

Great that you’ve sorted yourself out for off-road route planning.

:beerjug:

It’s all the planning capability in basecamp too, it would be a shame if Garmin retire it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fear that it’s retiring itself, at least on my Mac, which is becoming increasingly unstable.

The newer City Nav maps are split E/W not N/S. Are they both loaded?

Yup, they are all there.

I sometimes find that:

A. My Mac reverts to displaying the base map only.

B. Then only parts of the detailed map.

C. If I then summon up say a French Open Street map (which displays properly) it kicks the detailed map into life.

D. Route calculation is slow, as is route recalculation.

E. It now often struggles to convert a track into a route, which used to take seconds.

All in all, very flakey. It went flakey once before but a BaseCamp / Garmin software update fixed it. Now it’s deteriorating again.

Back
Top Bottom