Oh Deer

tyclyd

Gary
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having lived, ridden and worked on the mid Wales roads for the past 40 years this year has seen an increase in sightings of both Fallow and Red Deer on the unfenced road edges of our really popular biking routes, especially the A4067 – Crai to Pen-Y-Cae, A40 Sennybridge to Halfway and north of the A40 on the Epynt and the A483 boundary, a timely reminder to remember if you “see one… look for another” as the increasing deer population is being driven down to road margin and of course they have no road sense…

Good advice, always watch out for the "follower"
They are indeed a bit of a nuisance.
I assisted a GS rider when he hit one on the Lochcarron road not that long ago. He stayed on the bike, fair do's to him, a bit shaken but alright. I had to get the beast off the single track road and wait for the local ranger who put it out of it's misery.

I hit a deer on my GS , fortunately it hit the crash bars a glancing blow. Lots of gristle and bone but all the deers.

I was up at Dent two weekends ago talking to, well trying to understand some Scottish GSer’s and they suggested deer whistles. Apparently most of the folk up there have them fitted on their vehicles as they have a healthy population of the bambis.

Ebay 2 for £3.50 simple plastic whistle , small bullet shape, stick on.

I bought a pair one for the car the other for the GS. It might be like the guy sprinkling shark repellent in the canal. When told there aren’t any sharks here, he replied “ yes its good isnt it”

^^^^^^
My mate went to Australia and brought back some kangeroo scarers that fix to the front of your bike and are supposed to emit a high-pitched whistle when you`re going along.
I was sceptical at first but they must work because i haven`t hit a `roo since fitting them.

I hit a deer on my GS , fortunately it hit the crash bars a glancing blow. Lots of gristle and bone but all the deers.

I was up at Dent two weekends ago talking to, well trying to understand some Scottish GSer’s and they suggested deer whistles. Apparently most of the folk up there have them fitted on their vehicles as they have a healthy population of the bambis.

Ebay 2 for £3.50 simple plastic whistle , small bullet shape, stick on.

I bought a pair one for the car the other for the GS. It might be like the guy sprinkling shark repellent in the canal. When told there aren’t any sharks here, he replied “ yes its good isnt it”

Whadya mean trying to understand ?? It's ok, I get ribbed mercilessly from my English and German friends ;)

The whistles work to a certain extent, they have saved me a few times whilst heading back form the west, especially in the night. Hate those diamonds on the verge :mad:
If they are standing still ready to cross, they will hear the whistle and stay still. If they are already on the run, you have no chance, just make sure and watch out for the follower.
The firm I work for has had a few vans written off this year due to deer.
3/4 ton static v van doing 70 + , only one winner

Back
Top Bottom