Tubeless tyre on tube type rim

magik

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a spare tubeless tyre in vgc and wanted to put it on the tube type rim. Is it safe to do so?

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Well, I never had any issues in doing that, providing that you are using a tube somewhere in the process, of course. :) I have never tried the tapes/sealants to convert spoked rims to tubeless.

If you're wanting to fit it without an inner tube be very careful. The wheel rim needs to have a certain type of lip/cutaway (I can't remember the technical term) to accept a TL tyre without a tube.

I will use a tube with it.

If you're wanting to fit it without an inner tube be very careful. The wheel rim needs to have a certain type of lip/cutaway (I can't remember the technical term) to accept a TL tyre without a tube.

The bead.

Safety rim. JJH

I will use a tube with it.

Run a sharp knife or scissors around the max circumference of your inner tube - spread it outwards and then fit your tubed tyre. Trim off the excess inner tube that shows after inflation and you now have a tube tyre that is tubeless and can be plugged

https://youtu.be/60bi1r2Xvbo

Thats a neat idea, not sure I'd like to do motorway speeds on it though.

Sorry rate the idea in the video about as safe as the ones posted by " experts " on you tube spending hours repairing holes ripped in the sidewalls of tyres

Sorry rate the idea in the video about as safe as the ones posted by " experts " on you tube spending hours repairing holes ripped in the sidewalls of tyres

What are your particular concerns?

Yes you can fit a tubeless tyre on a tube type rim, ish. I run Michelin tubeless trials tyres on my Pre 65 Triumph, with a tube, at between 6 and 8 psi. On my TY175 though, the tubeless tyre won't stay on the rim at that low pressure and needs at least 15 psi. This is not optimal for trials, so I use an IRC tube type tyre. I know plenty of others who have tried tubeless tyres on non tubeless rims without tubes, using tape and sealant, with varying degrees of success.
Mark

Thanks for the info!

My concern would be that the inner tube would interfere with the way the bead of the tyre seats against the edge of the rim.

Perhaps it works fine, but that would be my thought.

Just because it appears to work dose not make it safe. Your going to have a job mounting the tyre onto the rim in the first place. JJH

I’ve had Pirelli STR’s on my T7, they are a tubeless tyre run with tubes, which are OEM fitment. I did the Outex conversion and had zero issues for the 20 months I had the bike (I put it back to standard tubes when I sold it as although I’m perfectly happy with the safety, the next owner would have to make their own decision).

Concerning the safety bead on tubeless rims, in the ideal world you would want that, but it makes no odds to safety unless you either run low pressures, ding the rim off road, or get a puncture and either don’t notice or ignore the what you feel while riding. Most bikes with tubed tyres these days have the safety bead in the rear rim, but the narrower front rims don’t. A tubed tyre will deflate much quicker than a tubeless wheel due to leaking air through the nipples and the puncture whereas the tubeless will only leak air from the puncture. I fitted TPMS to monitored the tyre pressures and I didn't air the tyres down that much going off road.

I think there will always be pro’s and con’s to doing the Outex conversion, but being able to plug a puncture rather than spending an hour or so trying to fix a tube on the sides of a road in the rain, far out weigh the negatives.

Back
Top Bottom