Used 2013 GS checklist

ngrundy

Reaction score
Hi all,

Having ridden and loved both a street triple and a CBR600RR, I have decided I am in the market for a GS.

I am currently looking at a 2013 R1200GS with about 48000 miles on the clock from a dealer. Could anybody suggest a checklist of sorts to take with me before a test-ride?

Thanks in advance.

The obvious is service history with any documentation for the final drive oil change and spline lubrication if possible as the final drive is a weak point although much improved from earlier models. To check for wear grab the rear wheel top and bottom and both sides and see if there is any play…anything over 1mm and I would ask for the oil to be taken out of the FD housing and checked for metal fragments. IF the FD unit does go it’s about £450-500 to get if fixed. Other area is the rear shock, they can blow a seal but can be fixed for about £150 despite BMW saying they can’t.

Alternators can and do break down but usually at much higher mileage. Other than that….pretty robust so go on condition.

2013 will be first gen engine with lighter flywheel, dodgy clutch, lurched forward with the clutch pulled in, 2010-2012 Twin cam far better bike, gearbox better, engine smoother, quieter, better built...probably not what you want to hear

2013 will be first gen engine with lighter flywheel, dodgy clutch, lurched forward with the clutch pulled in, 2010-2012 Twin cam far better bike, gearbox better, engine smoother, quieter, better built...probably not what you want to hear

Ah yes….as a 2013 GSA TC rider I assumed the OP meant TC and not LC…. I stand corrected….but agree the TC is better.

I think I would be wanting a two year warranty as your number one item.

I gotta say I experienced the worst gearbox ever on a 2013/14, whatever was going on with a lot of the launch bikes something was seriously fucked.

I got a new clutch pack fitted under warranty on my March 2014 and then it was ok. Before that it was graunching and properly fucked.

Fantastic bike but given so many about I wouldnt bother with a 48k one.

I agree the original engine in my 2014 LC was replaced under warranty owing to corrosion, the replacement engine & gearbox fitted in 2016 is so much better

Wheels. Always start with the wheels. Two is best, preferably round with tyres. One, is not good.

All joking apart, it’s no different to looking at any other motorbike. Just use some common sense and you’ll be fine.

Oh and haggle. Haggle like a demon.

Is the bike cheap?

Why buy a bike with 48k miles? Spend a bit more and buy something less used. They are not in short supply - so take your time

Is the bike cheap?

Why buy a bike with 48k miles? Spend a bit more and buy something less used. They are not in short supply - so take your time.

You can pick up a private sale 2016 bike with under £20k miles for around 8k. Buy your own warranty at under £400 per year.

Back
Top Bottom