5 go to Spain & Portugal

2 wheel humvee

www.humvee-graphics.com
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
For this year's Euro trip I decided to go to Spain again, I asked my fellow travellers for input and suggestions for alternatives, there was none :D
The plan such as it was, was to get the Brittany Ferries crossing from Plymouth to Santander (fastest crossing to Spain currently) which would see us in Spain mid afternoon the day after departure from Plymoth and head South West for a couple of hours to our first overnight stop, from there we would be heading South West to Portugal and stay at a couple of different locations there, then we were heading to Galicia (another couple of overnight stops, on Asturias (couple more overnight stops) and spend the last night in The Picos at the Hotel Del Oso a favourite of mine and I know very popular with members here.
The cast of travellers and the steeds of awesomeness comprised; me -Ducati Multistrada V4S, Sean-BMW R1250GS HP, Dave BMW R1200GS Rallye, Oscar BMW R1200GSA, Luis Honda Africa Twin, Oscar is Spanish and Luis is from Portugal so we had a translator/fixer for each of the countries we were visiting, there shouldn't be any misunderstanding with menus then......you'd think :blast
Day 00
We arranged to meet at Plymouth, Sean and I travelled down the M5 from South Wales and took a little detour over Dartmoor and Princetown
i-H54G9t2-X2.jpg

We arrived in time for a late lunch at the Dock Cafe, we had a table with a view on the veranda where we were joined 10 mins later by the others :okay
i-hgrcqFk-X2.jpg

Salcombe crab sandwich and all the trimmings.
i-xNZJT7z-XL.jpg

Prior to checking in with Brittany Ferries our Covid jab status was checked by a member of staff walking up the lines of waiting vehicles on the quayside and a sticker attached to our passports which made check in quicker and easier for all.

Once boarded we abandoned the bikes to the crew to secure with ratchet straps, there were a lot of bikes on the ship and they were packed in tight wheel to wheel with barely enough room to get off the bike and retrieve your essentials for the overnight crossing, this is the worst aspect of a crossing to Spain by motorcycle :(

We had cabins for the overnight crossing these were available to us as soon as we boarded so we were able to get changed and meet in the bar, we endured the " on board entertainment" in the bar with a few beers :beerjug:

Day 01
Santander came into view and the weather looked favourable
i-WJTx47r-XL.jpg

As motorcyclists loaded into the ship's belly we were among the last disembark, we queued in the heat on the quayside for passport control but were clear of the port in around an hour and on our way. after a short motorway journey we were on smaller roads and stopped at Cabuerniga for a pic or 2

i-Hks59bB-XL.jpg

i-ps4SXMC-XL.jpg

Oscar
i-QHxR5Jg-XL.jpg

Luis
i-hk9vG5T-XL.jpg

We stopped for a coffee and a snack near La Lastra there was no hurry we only had around 130 miles to our first hotel.

i-3rGfP2n-XL.jpg

i-Rc5QrxN-X2.jpg

i-xdL3cZJ-X2.jpg

We were soon at our hotel the grandly named Hotel Real Monasterio San Zoilo, after checking in and exploring some of the grounds and the building itself we enjoyed a good meal in the restaurant and enjoyed a few beers on the terrace :beerjug::okay

i-8MmMCwP-XL.jpg

i-5h7DNqC-XL.jpg

i-jSWFTCd-XL.jpg

The hotel was reasonably priced as was the restaurant, the rooms were quiet and comfortable and the staff welcoming and friendly, we parked in the hotel car park although we were told later we could have parked somewhere more secure we didn't bother to move the bikes, as with most of the hotels on this trip I booked via booking dot com

Day 02

Today was going to be one of our longer days in the saddle at 270 ish miles to our next hotel, I saw this as something of a transit route and wasn't expecting dramatic scenery and twisty roads, the temperature was in the high 20's to low 30's which wasn't particularly comfortable but we managed a few pics, stopped off for coffee and enjoyed some good riding :okay

Saw lots of hydro electric projects.......
i-35nRgzg-XL.jpg

Plenty of twisty roads
i-XLXBL4H-XL.jpg

Stopped at a Mirador or 2
i-7RnV2bx-XL.jpg

We arrived late afternoon at our next stop for the night Casa Lagar de Alagoa in Vale de Amoreira in the Sera de Estrela National Park in Portugal
It's an unusual spot, very quiet but with some interesting history as it is a former Olive farm and much of it's original line shaft and machinery is still present, it was originally powered by a water wheel which is till present but in a poor state.

i-r5hNqB3-XL.jpg

i-PKqG5S5-XL.jpg

i-g5vKGHF-XL.jpg

Our hosts were welcoming and very hospitable, Jose's father still tends the land at 83 years of age (sorry no pics) but he still owns this Transit van, bought new in 1982 it's mostly original and has no corrosion to speak of, starts on the button too :thumb There's not many like that in the U.K. these days.
i-P8jgXMR-XL.jpg

Jose called his restaurateur friend in a neighbouring village and booked a table for dinner for us, he even drove us there and picked us up :beerjug:
i-4QNrktW-XL.jpg

i-w5XFsQD-XL.jpg

Day 03
Our expected journey distance for today was around 190 miles to Chaves, Luis had not stayed with us the previous evening as he had gone to visit his parents as they weren't too far away so the four of us set off and we met Luis in Manteigas for a coffee.

That way....everything is that way <
i-h9cbJ4G-XL.jpg

Corners-lots of em
i-4k29Wpt-XL.jpg

att's back garden ;)
i-5nwQDw4-XL.jpg

Coffee stop is down there somewhere........
i-qKZ6Mnf-X2.jpg

Later in the day we crossed the Douro river
i-pv92C9L-XL.jpg

Our hotel for the night was the Forte de Sao Francisco in Chaves, Oscar and I have stayed here before and it didn't disapoint last time hence the return visit, a former fortress it's an impressive place, has comfortable rooms at a reasonable rate and has a great pool which some of us made use of to cool down :cool:

i-Mf72LBb-XL.jpg

We opted to walk into town for dinner Luis found us a good restaurant and we ate well :okay

i-6TfZHCJ-XL.jpg

More to follow..............

A great read/pics...good to get back to reading some ride reports.

Chaves is an interesting stop, we also stayed at the Forte de Sao Francisco, found a real ale style bar and ate at Pensão Flávia an old garage/wine store which we found by chance close to the hotel, steak and chips x 2 and four beers under €22 very friendly and hospitable.

Day 04
From Chaves to Vilagarcia De Arousa our route suggests 180 miles or so, this is open to interpretation and subject to the phenomenon known as the "Garmin starburst effect" where users not in sight of each other will take different routes at intersections and roundabouts but invariably end up at the same place and tell every body else they were wrong, as well as being on a new bike I was also running a new GPS a Zumo XT and had become aware that different units were not always following the same exact route :D
We lost Luis but regrouped for coffee at Gerez near the Cavado river (Portugal)

i-2mW2WTP-XL.jpg

Not far from Gerez coffee stop
i-nCv5wRT-XL.jpg

We continued North through the Pereda Gerez National Park where the views were great, I'd like to tell you the roads were great too, had it not been for the corrugated surface the ride would have been very enjoyable :comfort

i-JzKGWQJ-XL.jpg

Once out of the national park our route took us West and out of Portugal and into Galicia Spain where we picked the Motorway and headed North for the last 50 miles to our hotel the impressive looking Pazo O Rial at Villagarcia de Arousa, it had been another warm day in the saddle so the hotel pool was a welcome sight :bow

i-WfDqdSz-XL.jpg

Our bed for the night was at the hotel Pazo O Rial apparently renovated from a ruin, it's a great hotel, the staff were very welcoming and helpful, the rooms comfortable and it has a great on sight restaurant but......if you order steak they only serve it mooing :blast:D

i-k3T3f94-XL.jpg

Day 05
We were all up and bout and breakfasted and packed fairly early today so we hit the road and managed to stay together for all of an hour :D our first stop was Spain's most westerly mainland point Faro De Cabo Tourinan, we became split up but I was confident everyone knew where they were going so I pressed on and got there first.

i-kdFcvtw-XL.jpg

i-HKfHBP6-XL.jpg

i-SZxScKn-XL.jpg

Having got my pics I started heading back inland and met the others who were heading to the cape so I joined them and visited the cape again, travelling together again :thumb

These grain/hay stores are very common in this area mounted on stilts with saddle stones to keep vermin out, many are still well preserved.

i-7GNtp4B-XL.jpg

Our route took us East towards A Coruna and then South East towards our next hotel in Nadela, it had been another warm afternoon and disappointingly the next hotel didn't have a pool :comfort It did have great rooms though and very helpful staff that opened the courtyard gates and allowed us to park the bikes under cover and behind locked gates.

Dave announced the walled town of Lugo was close by and maybe we should get a cab there to check it out, as Oscar was busy with his knitting or was he reading his book? just the 4 of us got in a cab, "masks in the cab please"

i-ShwMMm8-XL.jpg

i-pPg3xfw-XL.jpg

i-gNnXwMX-XL.jpg

i-4tLMn6N-XL.jpg

i-zNznnnk-XL.jpg

Beer and snacks :okay

i-pkprPJx-L.jpg

i-3MfvV9d-XL.jpg

A great afternoon out :thumb

Dinner for 5 at the hotel later was memorable, my starter was great but like a fool I ordered steak again :blast :D

Day 06

We were all once again up and about early so shortly after breakfast we were packed up again and on our way to explore the back roads of the Asturias region of Spain, initially the roads were fast and flowing the sun was shining and the air was crisp me and the Multi were having a ball :cool:

i-wXTNFbx-X3.jpg

i-xwpfJJN-X3.jpg

We turned off onto tight and twisty but entertaining back roads like the LU 539 and LU 530 we enjoyed some great mountain roads with a mix of sweeping bends and tight hairpins, feeling pleased with ourselves we headed down from a high pass in search of lunch and stopped in a small village called Vilablino, Luis had decided that today he would chill and ride at at his own pace rather than try to keep up and he could get some more pics along the way.

He took some great pics :okay

i-3HcwRmM-XL.jpg

i-3JdkQLk-XL.jpg

We had found a cafe and were in the process of ordering when Oscar got a call from Luis to tell him he had skidded on gravel and dropped the bike at the top of the pass, he was ok but had a wound to his leg, a passing car and cyclist had stopped to help him and lift the bike up :eek: Oscar rode back to the top of the pass to meet Lewis and ride back down with him, by this time the Police had arrived and had decided that all was well and Luis could continue, fortunately we have Sean with us who is a serving paramedic so he tended the wound to Luis calf where it appeared the pillion footrest had punctured it but advised a visit to the nearby hospital for a few stitches. So our next visit was to the local A&E where they stitched Luis leg and dressed the friction burns to his arms, Dave made himself useful by straightening the hand guard and engine bars of the Africa Twin and wiping away most of the gravel rash with a petrol soaked cloth, top job Dave :thumby:

Medic at work :bow

i-jqX6PD5-XL.jpg

After stopping at a pharmacy to pick up prescription meds we pressed on at reduced pace to our next stop for the night at Vegecervera, while waiting for the prescription the hotel contacted us to advise a road rally was taking place in the town and local roads would be closed and we may not be allowed through and may have to park up and walk the last 2 miles to the hotel, the day that keeps on giving :rolleyes: Fortuantely we arrived in time and were allowed into the town/village and found our hotel Auberge Cuerva de Varporquero

i-dKjTpTf-XL.jpg

Our host made us most welcome and advised that dinner would be in about 90 mins and the Rally cars would be passing the front door in about 30 mins, just enough time to get unpacked, showered and get a beer in :beerjug:

i-xzKTFbz-XL.jpg

i-Xrr4VQM-XL.jpg

i-5wRGf2m-XL.jpg

i-3XJG4pQ-XL.jpg

Suitably entertained we enjoyed a great dinner, Luis retired early with an ice pack and his meds, it had been a long day :)

Your suffering is nearly over dear reader just 1 more instalment to come.........

Day 07

We have a route of around 150 miles today leaving the Asturias region and heading into the Picos region along routes that will be largely familiar to Oscar Dave and myself as we have visited and/or passed through many times before, it's never a chore riding here though which is why many of us keep coming back it's genuinely one of my favourite places :okay

Our route would take us to Bonar, San Isidro, Campo de Caso, Posada de Valdeon (where we had a great lunch) Mirador de Valdeon then onto Potes and along the CA185 to Hotel Del Oso our final stay in Spain.

Aller, San Isidro
i-7JdjZFq-XL.jpg

This plaque commemorates 2 snow plough drivers killed in an avalanche last year
i-WBxMfxS-XL.jpg

Obligatory stop at the Posada de Valdeon Mirador
i-b3wCd2v-X2.jpg

Lunch stop, breathe in boys :okay
i-3bsN5Qm-XL.jpg

You have to stop here for a pic it's the law !
i-m8zNHgb-XL.jpg

And finally some pics from Hotel Del Oso :bow

i-TnXKh3r-XL.jpg

i-R5CvfJ6-XL.jpg

Count your fingers after giving the dog a snack :D
i-4fFFVNv-XL.jpg

My room 1st floor 5 from the left
i-L7qhp7V-XL.jpg

View from my room
i-k53vWk4-X2.jpg

I have a few pics from the last day, I will upload them and post later/tomorrow, thanks for looking and also for the comments, a great trip with a great bunch of lads :thumb

Great Humvee :thumby: and what weather!

Nice report.
Love that area.
We’ve done pretty much all of that including Lugo and Chaves on our annual trip for the last six years.
Fabulous roads with no traffic.
I hear that Del Oso has another St Bernard, so three in total now ?

Very enjoyable Steve - I’m in!
:thumb

Nice one Steve :thumb2

A great read/pics...good to get back to reading some ride reports.

Chaves is an interesting stop, we also stayed at the Forte de Sao Francisco, found a real ale style bar and ate at Pensão Flávia an old garage/wine store which we found by chance close to the hotel, steak and chips x 2 and four beers under €22 very friendly and hospitable.
I think I know the area and we tried it but it was closed for holidays, our bad luck :blast

Great Humvee :thumby: and what weather!
:thumb the only rain encountered was in the U.K. on the way to Plymouth ;)

Loved it all. Thanks for posting. :thumb2

Really enjoyed that again!
It’s good riding with mates as I’m sure Luis would agree!

Great pics, enjoyed that.

Nice :thumb
Thanks for posting
:thumb I'm glad you enjoyed it, good feedback makes it worth the effort of posting.

Nice report.
Love that area.
We’ve done pretty much all of that including Lugo and Chaves on our annual trip for the last six years.
Fabulous roads with no traffic.
I hear that Del Oso has another St Bernard, so three in total now ?
There are some parts I would skip next time but some old favourites I would do again and again, next time I go to Northern Spain I am going to spend more time in Asturias I'm not as familiar with it as I am the Picos. I don't know of a 3rd St Bernard I only counted 2 I think :nenau but I could be mistaken. The hotel now has the 4 storey building across the road as well as the main site we are familiar with, when I was last there the building across the road looked unused but hotel Del Oso staff confirmed it is now operational so they have added to their capacity massively.

Amen to that!

Great report and really good pics.

It was inadvertently a multi-day litre-plus adventure bike review - how did the various bikes compare?

I don't think we were really making comparisons (but the Ducati is easily the best.......:D) other than perhaps at fuel stations :augie the Ducati is the thirstiest but not by as much as press reports would have you believe, over the duration of the trip I saw the average reach high 40's to low 50's mpg overall, all bikes carried their riders and luggage well and none gave any cause for complaint, after 17 years on GS and GSA's I'm enjoying Ducati life :okay

Great report Steve 👏
It was as always a fantastic trip. Lovely roads, good company and very good planning from Steve.
Looking forward the next one 👍
Many thanks,
Oscar

Great report, we loved the Monasterio too

Loved your report.
I'm going to use some of it when I tour there.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

Loved your report.
I'm going to use some of it when I tour there.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

Thank you, it was a great trip, the next time I head to Spain I will be spending more time in Galicia and Asturias there is so much great scenery and fantastic riding there :okay

Back
Top Bottom