Recommendations for the "uh-hum.....heavier camper"....Sleeping mat/bed/cot

crazywakey

Madhouse Stuntman.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Like many, I get fed up of replacing the current airbed as none of them last, some a summer, some just a rally....

I'm of the heavier build (21 stone), 6ft3in tall, 52in chest..... big unit in other words. I'm looking for recommendations on a camping bed that will pack down onto the bike well and take my weight, so any option within those parameters really.

Currently using a big single airbed which sits almost 2 feet high when inflated, but requires AC to inflate the built-in pump. Not a problem, I have a DC-AC inverter for the task, plug it into the bike battery..... only problem is, like all inflatables I've owned it just doesn't hold the air for a night - come the morning my arse is very low and if I'm doing a weekend rally it'll need inflating again before the next night's sleep. PITA.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to replace it with?

I’ve just sold my helinox max camp bed. I’m 6.3 and 20 stone and it was absolutely fabulous. Used it on several occasions camping all across Europe. Extremely strong and not so much as a squeak from it under load. Yes it is quite pricey but you get what you pay for I’m afraid. My mate brought one for twenty quid from somewhere and I couldn’t stop laughing at the creaking and then the inevitable crack and bang as it collapsed most nights and then waking up you would find it thrown out of the tent door. Don’t get the standard helinox cot, for us fatties it really needs to be the max to carry the extra chub

Thermorest NEOAIR. Get an XL.

I would chose this over my £600 king size mattress if the wife let me.

A dream to sleep on. Only downside is that it's not auto-inflating. But you can buy one of those little battery hand pumps if your lungs are old and battered.

I’ve just sold my helinox max camp bed. I’m 6.3 and 20 stone and it was absolutely fabulous. Used it on several occasions camping all across Europe. Extremely strong and not so much as a squeak from it under load. Yes it is quite pricey but you get what you pay for I’m afraid. My mate brought one for twenty quid from somewhere and I couldn’t stop laughing at the creaking and then the inevitable crack and bang as it collapsed most nights and then waking up you would find it thrown out of the tent door. Don’t get the standard helinox cot, for us fatties it really needs to be the max to carry the extra chub

Speaking as a 6'4'' 20 stone now 17 stone and of racing snake proportions +1 for the Helinox you want the one with four legs not three with a Exped mat for insulation.

Racing snake..... there's a term I haven't heard in a few years. And even at my peak fitness I couldn't claim that one myself! I was 17 stone after I finished basic training......!

Looks like Helinox gets the vote then! Thanks everyone.

The modern world is just not designed for some of us.

The other day I was climbing the loft ladder and realised that even without the heavy item I was carrying, I already exceeded its maximum weight capacity. Ha! :D

Indeed - my old station steed (the mighty Peugeot Vivacity Compact) had a sticker on it clearly stating a max weight limit significantly lower than mine. I rode it every day for many years (sometimes two up) without too much drama.

Have a look at the Exped Downmat 9LW too. :thumb2
9cm deep when inflated and supremely comfy. ( and warm ).

The other day I was climbing the loft ladder and realised that even without the heavy item I was carrying, I already exceeded its maximum weight capacity. Ha! :D
Ha ha this is true, spent weeks worrying about which e bike to buy as they all have a lower weight rating than me. In the end I just thought f**k it and brought the one I liked most and it’s done 1000 miles with no issue

Have a look at the Exped Downmat 9LW too. :thumb2
9cm deep when inflated and supremely comfy. ( and warm ).

An excellent mat. I am not the weight of the OP but if he’s crushing that, he might be better off carting a full on bed.

I look at the number of people / weight carrying signs in lifts. They often make me wonder if the makers live in the same world as us.

I think we've been "Americanised" a bit too much over here - everyone now lives in fear of being sued, so they under-rate everything to do-risk their responsibility....

Back
Top Bottom