Garmin Zumo 595 Problem.

Taff

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thos Zumo 595 is the 3rd Garmin GPS I have owned, but the first one to give me any grief. :(

We are off to France on Friday so went to download my waypoints from Basecamp to the unit. As soon as I connect it to the computer, I get a message that there is a map update and an update to Garmin Express. I update both and get a message saying not to turn the turn the unit off till it had finished updating.

Once it finished though, the screen fades and just shows "Garmin" ..... and that's all it's shown since. I can't switch it off or back on again. I suspected for a while the original battery was knackered because it just wouldn't hold much of a charge and the unit would switch off within minutes if it was unplugged. As it was always plugged in though this wasn't an issue, but I changed the battery (£40) in the hope that would fix it, but no. Even after charging it for 2 hours, it still just shows "Garmin". Even if I hold down the On / Off button it stays on - there is literally nothing else on the unit to press, so I'm at a total bloody loss what to do - apart from contacting Garmin and asking them to fix the bloody thing. :nenau

Even though I bought in about 2 years ago during lockdown, it stayed in it's box for over a year (we all did) :D and it's only been used about 10 times on domestic trips in the car. This was due to be the first time it had been used on the bike. I have plugged it back to the computer and opened up Garmin Express (which usually opens up automatically as soon as the unit is connected ) but it just says "Zumo 595 Not Connected". :nenau

Attachments

• IMG_E5449[1].jpg
    IMG_E5449[1].jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 133
Battery out? Google hard and soft reset, various garmin swill reset with finger held in one particular corner for around 30 seconds.
You’d be welcome to borrow my 590 but can’t think of. Way to get it to you…

Let the battery discharge totally overnight and then connect to a charger for at least 20 minutes to give it a bit of charge.

Hopefully it will reboot. I've had this happen before with Garmin car units (and maybe a long time ago with a m/c unit).

You have been on this site an awfully long time, so I'm surprised that you haven't come across Wapping's Golden Rule of not performing big updates just before a trip.

I sincerely hope my suggestion works for you, else do call Garmin.

Popell suggestion is good also.

Battery out? Google hard and soft reset, various garmin swill reset with finger held in one particular corner for around 30 seconds.
You’d be welcome to borrow my 590 but can’t think of. Way to get it to you…
Thanks Popell.

Tried the reset (nothing to lose by now) but that didn't work either. :(

... You have been on this site an awfully long time, so I'm surprised that you haven't come across Wapping's Golden Rule of not performing big updates just before a trip.
Funnily enough, I did think of Wapping's golden rule, but I think the Zumo 595 updates automatically when you connect it to the computer. I know Garmin Express opens up automatically and checks for updates; I don't remember agreeing to previous map updates. And even if I had, all previous map updates have been silky smooth. :(

The only thing I remember agreeing to this time was updating Garmin Express itself.

Let the battery discharge totally overnight and then connect to a charger for at least 20 minutes to give it a bit of charge. Hopefully it will reboot. I've had this happen before with Garmin car units (and maybe a long time ago with a m/c unit).
Thanks. I'm going to give that a go. Failing that, I'm digging out the paper maps tomorrow and will contact Garmin Support after I get back. :thumb2

Have you checked the Zuma forum. It has a 595 section with a topic on battery issues.

Let the battery discharge totally overnight and then connect to a charger for at least 20 minutes to give it a bit of charge. Hopefully it will reboot. I've had this happen before with Garmin car units (and maybe a long time ago with a m/c unit).
Good suggestion but that didn't work either.

Have you checked the Zuma forum. It has a 595 section with a topic on battery issues.
I am now pretty sure it isn't a battery issue. It still won't turn on or off despite having a new fully charged battery in it. Two different batteries - same problem.

I have now resigned myself to contacting Garmin Support after the Bank Holiday weekend to get the unit sent to them for repair and will just rely on paper maps for this trip.

Was the device’s battery fully charged before you made the software update?

I only ask as I think to install an update you have to disconnect the device from the pc, then restart it. If the internal battery is flat then I guess it might not fully install the update, leaving the device corrupted. But, that’s just a real guess.

What would I do to try to remedy the situation? Again guessing:

A. I’d fully charge the device, from the mains for at least a couple of hours. This assumes it is charging in its present state.

B. I’d plug the device back into the PC, to see if that will kickstart it.

C. I’d keep my fingers crossed.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Even if it didn’t work, it can’t make it any worse, surely.

Was the device’s battery fully charged before you made the software update?

I only ask as I think to install an update you have to disconnect the device from the pc, then restart it. If the internal battery is flat then I guess it might not fully install the update, leaving the device corrupted. But, that’s just a real guess.
Then this could be the problem, because I reckoned the original battery was a duff one - it just never held a charge for more than a couple of minutes.

I'm dusting off the old 2610 with 2012 maps, but my logic is most of the roads haven't moved. As you say I have nothing to lose now. :D

Are you using an original Garmin USB lead? If so, change the USB lead, if not, change the USB lead?. Mine won't charge other than on a garmin lead and connected to mains. It doesnt seem to draw enough current from a pc

Back
Top Bottom